G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

2020 G550 Start/Stop issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 06:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2018 Lexus LS500
2020 G550 Start/Stop issue

As others have mentioned in this forum and I've mentioned here. My G wagon is again at the dealer for the start stop issue. It just completely dies on me at lights when I let off of the brake. Has happened 5 times in 5k miles.

It happened once while moving, scary, only like 10mph though. The dealer is advising me to take the car back because the can't replicate the problem. I've pointed them to the other members that have had the issue, and I'm at a crossroads right now. As a last ditch effort they said they'll be opening up a case with MB.

Old 01-13-2021, 06:49 PM

2018 Lexus LS500
I'd like to add that I love the Gwagon and paid sticker, I will not be paying more for another one.
The following users liked this post:
C240-Merc (02-07-2024)
Old 01-13-2021, 07:20 PM

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
2020 G550
Let me know what you find. I’ve had mine into the dealer for this as well. They told me, no event codes and they don’t see any faults when they scan.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:42 PM

2018 Lexus LS500
Originally Posted by E552006
Let me know what you find. I’ve had mine into the dealer for this as well. They told me, no event codes and they don’t see any faults when they scan.
Its the second time its been there for the same issue. Its been there for two weeks now. I'm ready to scream at mbusa.

Dealer is the best w/ customer service though
Old 01-13-2021, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 759 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by BluetecKING
Its the second time its been there for the same issue. Its been there for two weeks now. I'm ready to scream at mbusa.

Dealer is the best w/ customer service though
Is this occurring with ECO start//stop active?
Old 01-13-2021, 11:42 PM

2018 Lexus LS500
Originally Posted by streborx
Is this occurring with ECO start//stop active?

Not sure what you mean? Its under the normal mode, but start/stop kicks in causing it to turn off.

I've never put my car in ECO mode
Old 01-13-2021, 11:48 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
G550
this issue has happened to me. i had 3k kms on my G550 (canadian car) when it happened. brought it into the dealer and had the car scanned. they didnt find anything wrong. no record of the shutting down either. also they checked the ground wires and told me that they are fine as well... i've driven the car about 2k kms since i brought it in, shut down has not happened since then. hopefully it doesnt come back. not sure what it could be at this point. i had eco start/stop deactivated when the car shut down on me. i was travelling at low speed and slowing down as i was getting close to a stop light, before i came to a full stop, the car shut down and all the dash lights came on.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:00 AM

2018 Lexus LS500
Originally Posted by montreal red
this issue has happened to me. i had 3k kms on my G550 (canadian car) when it happened. brought it into the dealer and had the car scanned. they didnt find anything wrong. no record of the shutting down either. also they checked the ground wires and told me that they are fine as well... i've driven the car about 2k kms since i brought it in, shut down has not happened since then. hopefully it doesnt come back. not sure what it could be at this point. i had eco start/stop deactivated when the car shut down on me. i was travelling at low speed and slowing down as i was getting close to a stop light, before i came to a full stop, the car shut down and all the dash lights came on.
The first time it happened to me I was moving and it shut down when it should not have no matter what, then completely died. Each time after that it was shut off while stopped and wouldn't start back up.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:09 AM

G550
The first time it happened to me I was moving and it shut down when it should not have no matter what, then completely died. Each time after that it was shut off while stopped and wouldn't start back up.
when your G shut down while moving, did it go into neutral and kept coasting? thats what mine did. also you are right, it couldnt restart immediately. i had to turn all the electricals off and leave it off for a few seconds before it started back up. a check engine light stayed on for a few minutes after i restarted but it went away after about 2 or 3 mins of driving. i figured the dealer would be able to see the cause of the check engine light but they said nothing was registered in the system.

also do you usually have start/stop turned on or off when your car shuts down? i have a feeling this is related to the auto start stop feature.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:29 AM

2018 Lexus LS500
when your G shut down while moving, did it go into neutral and kept coasting? thats what mine did. also you are right, it couldnt restart immediately. i had to turn all the electricals off and leave it off for a few seconds before it started back up. a check engine light stayed on for a few minutes after i restarted but it went away after about 2 or 3 mins of driving. i figured the dealer would be able to see the cause of the check engine light but they said nothing was registered in the system.

also do you usually have start/stop turned on or off when your car shuts down? i have a feeling this is related to the auto start stop feature.

When it was moving, kind of a blur, was kind of just in a panic to get going again, but it wouldn't start up immediately and I had to mess with the gear shift, so likely went into neutral. I had to stop though to put it into park shut off then drive to go.

I don't normally have start/stop on, but I don't always remember to hit the button to turn it off.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:45 AM

G550
When it was moving, kind of a blur, was kind of just in a panic to get going again, but it wouldn't start up immediately and I had to mess with the gear shift, so likely went into neutral. I had to stop though to put it into park shut off then drive to go.

I don't normally have start/stop on, but I don't always remember to hit the button to turn it off.
i have driven another 2k since the shut down happened. every time i am in the car i turn off auto start/stop. so far it hasnt happened again. not sure if that is the actual cause but i dont really like the start stop feature anyway. it's kind of annoying so i've gotten the habit of turning it off every single time.

hopefully your dealer gets to the bottom of it. my dealer actually asked MB canada and they said they werent aware of any such issue happening with other canadian G550s. i was told to bring the car home and keep driving and monitoring it lol.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Not sure what you mean? Its under the normal mode, but start/stop kicks in causing it to turn off.

I've never put my car in ECO mode
The ECO start/stop mode is active by default in "Comfort" mode each time you start the vehicle. ECO start/stop automatically shuts off the engine when you brake to a stop (with about a 1 second delay), and restarts the engine when you take your foot off the brake pedal. This "feature" is disabled when you put the "dynamic mode" into Sport or spec it as OFF in "Individual", or if you disable it using the switch (adjacent to the Ignition button) that has the "A" with the circumscribed circular arrow. When ECO start/stop is disabled, this "A" icon appears at the bottom of the instrument display in the black/white annunciation bar, nearby the "0 km/h" indication, but only after the vehicle comes to a full stop. Although starting and stopping the engine sounds simple, there are several sensors and conditions measured to make the event as seamless as possible. Despite this, I find it really annoying and permanently disabled it by disconnecting the current sensor on the battery. One of the conditions for ECO start/stop operation is that the battery not be in a heavy charge or discharge state, which prevents the possibility of not having enough charge to restart the engine. Disconnecting this current sensor makes the battery's condition indeterminate, so the system does not shut off the engine. Engine and environmental temperatures are also factored into when ECO start/stop is active or disabled, as is a hood (bonnet) open/close sensor. The engine is supposed to stop when you brake to a full stop and remain off while your foot remains on the brake, and it's supposed to restart when you depress the accelerator pedal. If you're a 2-footed driver -- gas with the right foot and brake with the left foot -- maybe the system's logic is being sent into never-never land when both pedals are simultaneously pressed.

Old 01-14-2021, 01:00 PM

2018 Lexus LS500
Just got off the phone with the dealer, they updated the transmission. Lets see if it happens again.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Just got off the phone with the dealer, they updated the transmission. Lets see if it happens again.
Scary -- we're all driving around in computers with 4 wheels attached to a USB port
The following 2 users liked this post by streborx:
C240-Merc (02-07-2024), places (02-04-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 01:54 PM

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
2020 G550
Can you ask them if there is a TSB pertaining to this or if they can give you information about the “Transmission Update”?
Old 01-14-2021, 02:38 PM

G550
good to know.... hopefully the issue doesnt come back for you.
i might tell my dealer to try this if i get my engine cutting out again. let us know if there's a specific technical bulletin that the dealer referenced that suggests the transmission update as a fix.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:39 PM

G550
The ECO start/stop mode is active by default in "Comfort" mode each time you start the vehicle. ECO start/stop automatically shuts off the engine when you brake to a stop (with about a 1 second delay), and restarts the engine when you take your foot off the brake pedal. This "feature" is disabled when you put the "dynamic mode" into Sport or spec it as OFF in "Individual", or if you disable it using the switch (adjacent to the Ignition button) that has the "A" with the circumscribed circular arrow. When ECO start/stop is disabled, this "A" icon appears at the bottom of the instrument display in the black/white annunciation bar, nearby the "0 km/h" indication, but only after the vehicle comes to a full stop. Although starting and stopping the engine sounds simple, there are several sensors and conditions measured to make the event as seamless as possible. Despite this, I find it really annoying and permanently disabled it by disconnecting the current sensor on the battery. One of the conditions for ECO start/stop operation is that the battery not be in a heavy charge or discharge state, which prevents the possibility of not having enough charge to restart the engine. Disconnecting this current sensor makes the battery's condition indeterminate, so the system does not shut off the engine. Engine and environmental temperatures are also factored into when ECO start/stop is active or disabled, as is a hood (bonnet) open/close sensor. The engine is supposed to stop when you brake to a full stop and remain off while your foot remains on the brake, and it's supposed to restart when you depress the accelerator pedal. If you're a 2-footed driver -- gas with the right foot and brake with the left foot -- maybe the system's logic is being sent into never-never land when both pedals are simultaneously pressed.
this is a good idea ... i really hate the auto start stop feature and having to turn it off every single time. no dashboard codes thrown by you disconnecting the battery sensor?
Old 01-14-2021, 04:12 PM

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
3phase-4pole
...Despite this, I find it really annoying and permanently disabled it by disconnecting the current sensor on the battery. ...
Any chance this applies to the 2018 models and earlier?

Meantime, there are software defeats available that you plug to the OBD port that remembers the last setting. Not sure if thats safe though. if others would chime in on that as well that would be helpful
Old 01-14-2021, 05:11 PM

2018 Lexus LS500
Got back from the dealer, they were a little unclear. But said once MB gets involved, normally "if we cannot replicate the problem, they just send it home" in this case they saw something in the software we sent them and they sent over an update.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:24 PM

G550
Got back from the dealer, they were a little unclear. But said once MB gets involved, normally "if we cannot replicate the problem, they just send it home" in this case they saw something in the software we sent them and they sent over an update.
i guess your car finally recorded something after the same thing keeps happening... mine definitely didnt so i got sent home and just told to monitor the situation. the problem is that with covid restrictions, i havent been driving my G that much.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:32 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Volt
That sounds like a serious safety issue. When people file issues with the NHTSA (in the USA), the government may take action if enough people complain. Case in point: Tesla is by law being forced to do a recall by the NHTSA because people complained about the touch screen failing and prior attempts at fixes did not resolve the problem. File a complaint here.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:33 PM

2018 Lexus LS500
Originally Posted by hard top
That sounds like a serious safety issue. When people file issues with the NHTSA (in the USA), the government may take action if enough people complain. Case in point: Tesla is by law being forced to do a recall by the NHTSA because people complained about the touch screen failing and prior attempts at fixes did not resolve the problem. File a complaint here.
It most definitely is, and there are other cases on forum with it (i've counted 4-5).

I truly hope it is fixed, I just find it odd that it was at the dealer for 2.5 weeks and all of a sudden its fixed in a day.

That being said I had an amazing time with my G on the way back and reminded me how good it is compared to the GLC loaner I was in.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
this is a good idea ... i really hate the auto start stop feature and having to turn it off every single time. no dashboard codes thrown by you disconnecting the battery sensor?
No codes, no instrument panel lights, no problems -- I disconnected it about 2500 miles ago. I hacked the lane keeping assist too so it shuts off by itself, but this involved much more than disconnecting a wire.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:50 PM

G550
No codes, no instrument panel lights, no problems -- I disconnected it about 2500 miles ago. I hacked the lane keeping assist too so it shuts off by itself, but this involved much more than disconnecting a wire.
haha yes the lane keeping assistance is the other annoyance in the G. i wished the car just remembers your settings and not force us to turn it off every time we turn the car on.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:52 PM

G550
It most definitely is, and there are other cases on forum with it (i've counted 4-5).

I truly hope it is fixed, I just find it odd that it was at the dealer for 2.5 weeks and all of a sudden its fixed in a day.

That being said I had an amazing time with my G on the way back and reminded me how good it is compared to the GLC loaner I was in.
funny, when i brought my car in, they also provided a GLC loaner. i agree, it feels nothing like a G.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2020 G550 Start/Stop issue