G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

windscreen protecting film

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 10:13 PM

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
20 G63, 19 720s
I like it naked. Buy MB windshield insurance. Total payout is up to 5k tho, which is just 2 replacements. Just replaced mine lol. The crack spread overnight, top to bottom
Old 04-10-2021, 10:26 PM

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
2024 G 63
I have mixed feelings about ClearPlex. My windshield actually got hit by two rocks about 10 minutes apart (I know, I can't believe it either). The first rock is the one that broke my windshield. About 10 minutes later, BAM. A second rock hit the windshield, and it was twice as loud as the first rock! But, I don't see any damage to the windshield? I looked at the windshield very closely this morning, and I found a small blemish in the ClearPlex where the second rock hit. It appears that ClearPlex works about half the time :-J Better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Regardless, I'll try Exoshield on my new windshield, and I'll keep my fingers crossed

Originally Posted by EJKaufman
Exoshield has been great for me. I have had my 21 G63 for 4 months now and have put over 3500 miles on it with lots of highway driving and not one issue with the windshield. Well worth the $300 cost.
Old 05-08-2021, 11:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
G63 2019
Any one have problem with wipers squeeze after install windshield eld protect film? I change my first one that was in bad condition after 2 years and change wipers blades and after that changes it start to squeeze. But I not sure why.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:29 PM

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
2024 G 63
Do you mean your wipers "squeak"? Mine didn't make any noise. The ClearPlex installer told me that he likes to apply a ceramic coating to the ClearPlex. I also read that ClearPlex recommends that you apply car wax to the film regularly (monthly). Try some wax. I hope that helps

Originally Posted by Amaterasu
Any one have problem with wipers squeeze after install windshield eld protect film? I change my first one that was in bad condition after 2 years and change wipers blades and after that changes it start to squeeze. But I not sure why.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:56 PM

Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts
mclaren 720s
going to replace my clearplex saturday with new one... 5 hits and no damage to windshield!!! did its job... now will install a new one... everyone should get it. saved me.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:01 PM

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
G63s and a few others
Rock hit my windshield this morning and I am super annoyed by the chip it left even though it is tiny. Thinking if it would be silly to have the entire glass replaced for something so minor, followed by Exoshield. I recall buying a windshield insurance package when I purchased the G. My new one is arriving in 6 months. May as well just use it? Not sure how it works, can not find my paperwork anywhere. If I did not use it, would I get a refund for this unused insurance when I get a new G Wagen?

Last edited by jamesszzz; 05-13-2021 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 759 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by jamesszzz
Rock hit my windshield this morning and I am super annoyed by the chip it left even though it is tiny. Thinking if it would be silly to have the entire glass replaced for something so minor, followed by Exoshield. I recall buying a windshield insurance package when I purchased the G. My new one is arriving in 6 months. May as well just use it? Not sure how it works, can not find my paperwork anywhere. If I did not use it, would I get a refund for this unused insurance when I get a new G Wagen?
If this is glass coverage purchased through your MB dealer, call and ask for a copy of the contract. I purchased dealer glass coverage on a Lexus about 10 years ago, and for full replacement the glass damage had to be (a) greater than a quarter's diameter for a rock impact, or (b) an extended crack running across some portion of the glass. I developed 2 small rock pits over 4 years, and all the insurance would cover was 2 pit seals at $35/ea. You can have the pit sealed -- sometimes it will mask the damage, and it can help prevent further cracking. Or perhaps the pit will develop into a crack during your 6 month wait and you'll qualify for full replacement.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 571 Likes on 374 Posts
2023 G63
Usually chips without lines don't spread, and it is probably hard to fill it in with resin even if you wanted to but it may be worth a try--I've used the Rain-X repair kit on my van twice now when I got nickel sized star cracks that virtually disappeared after fixing (thank goodness I wasn't driving the G either time).

If it's just a chip unless it's in line of sight I'd just let it be and save the warranty for now unless you truly need it. They may give a pro-rated refund if you never use it but like the others have said check the fine print.