G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

Order a new G63 at MSRP?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 10:59 PM

Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts
mclaren 720s
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
I'm still not understanding what people see in these new G wagons. Yes, they drive much nicer than the previous generation, but really, 99% of people on the road couldn't tell the difference between a 2003 and a 2020....or frankly don't care what you drive, even if it's a leftover relic of the 1970's cold war. I wonder if they were readily available, would demand be the same? Is this some type of panic toilet paper hoarding thing for the 1%? Trying to keep up with (or be better than) the Jones'? Do you think MB is purposely building them slowly to keep the panic demand going? The depreciation on these will be outrageous- at some point- Just asking for a friend.
if readily available, basic rules of economics would dictate demand would be the same but price elasticity would be much different... that said, they would never be readily available... why? THEY are handmade! you cant pump them out like an E class. Depreciation outrageous on these vehicles? i doubt it. keeping up with the jones?? easier way to do that vs going with a G. The G is very very special to drive... at times more than my supercars... the price reflects this “special factor”... hence why the G prices remain stable and command a premium and cars like the Urus tank like a rock after 10 months of driving... The G is just a special car to drive, only truck in the market that should command these prices.... just saying
The following 2 users liked this post by spourreza:
E55Greasemonkey (02-08-2021), G-Dreaming (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 06:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spourreza
if readily available, basic rules of economics would dictate demand would be the same but price elasticity would be much different... that said, they would never be readily available... why? THEY are handmade! you cant pump them out like an E class. Depreciation outrageous on these vehicles? i doubt it. keeping up with the jones?? easier way to do that vs going with a G. The G is very very special to drive... at times more than my supercars... the price reflects this “special factor”... hence why the G prices remain stable and command a premium and cars like the Urus tank like a rock after 10 months of driving... The G is just a special car to drive, only truck in the market that should command these prices.... just saying
Anyone know the depreciation is like on the Bentayga?
Old 02-08-2021, 07:19 AM

Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts
mclaren 720s
Originally Posted by CarShowKing
it tanks like any Bentley... very bad depreciation curve
Old 02-08-2021, 07:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,486 Likes on 981 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by Azzurri
Probably, but at this price I could buy a slightly used 488 GTB or a new 992 GT3RS when they come out soon.

Don't get me wrong the G63 is worth it's MSRP and even a tad more, but when you're charging 60k over MSRP and approaching Ferrari and Lamborghini territory I'd rather go that route. I was lucky and only paid MSRP +10k which was good for me.
If someone can write a check for 50K over on a G there is a good chance they can do the same for either of the two cars you mention.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:39 AM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
G550
Probably, but at this price I could buy a slightly used 488 GTB or a new 992 GT3RS when they come out soon.

Don't get me wrong the G63 is worth it's MSRP and even a tad more, but when you're charging 60k over MSRP and approaching Ferrari and Lamborghini territory I'd rather go that route. I was lucky and only paid MSRP +10k which was good for me.
you wont be able to get a new 992 GT3RS at anywhere close to MSRP... not unless you've bought a bunch of macans and cayennes that you dont want. i tried this with the 991 GT3RS.... every dealer was asking for markups on that car as well. i dont see it being any different with the new gen.

bottom line... any car that is sought after, you're going to either wait your turn or pay a premium.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:43 AM

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
G63, G65
Originally Posted by CarShowKing
Horrendous. My friend bought a 2 year old, 3,400 mile Bentayga for $177K ($330K sticker), and a year later it has dropped another $30K or so. Not sure where the level out is on these, but it's a heck of drop.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:44 AM

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
G63, G65

I've been told GT3RS is at least a year and a half away. Likely a '23 model year.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
"I wonder if they were readily available, would demand be the same? "

Luxury and Exclusivity in about anything Life - is available for those who are willing and able to pay the Price that level of Luxury and Exclusivity Commands.... whether it's Luxury Neighborhood, Luxury Auto's, Luxury Couture, Luxury Jewelry, Luxury Watches,
for heaven's sake even Luxury Hotel accommodations.

It has my viewpoint, expressed to Mercedes for 4 years, G's have been priced too low from the very start of the new Generation. I still propose that there was - and there is now - more room under $200K to move the 550 and 63 "up" due to lack of competition - and next step is to develop the G-Wagen "Maybach" for $225K-$235K.

But from the Mercedes side their pricing choice has been a slam-dunk win on the Retail Sell-Thru-Side - and move thru the full production capacity of Magna-Steyr (which has admirably been on-target thru Covid) - and MB also congratulate themselves for the "colors and interior expansion" that they feel is the reason G63 demand in the US is now higher than G550 - saving face for me - there "should be" more about "G-Maybach" down the road...

On the Dealer side - I don't operate in the land of "ADM" - since my Mercedes business is based on Luxury Relationships in my non-metro Upscale Market - I want to earn my customer's business today - and with that earn their business 2-3yrs (on average) down the road -heck earn the business from their whole family millennials and all !

ADM sales are a Metro-Thing - which is a heck of a grand portion of the Auto business - that I view at best - a One-Off that feel "real good" at the time - but there is nothing a dealer can do down the road that will help that Customer re-capture that ADM 2-3yrs down the road .

The following 5 users liked this post by fabbrisd1:
DaimlerGuy (02-10-2021), E55Greasemonkey (02-10-2021), EJKaufman (02-10-2021), places (02-10-2021), spourreza (02-10-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
taycan turbo, X5, Macan S, Jeep
I think the built by hand is an excuse to limit the production. I can afford just about any car and would love a G50...I just cannot stand the way dealers are milking this. I guess I will be patient. In any case I feel like I will keep the car for 20 years so time is on my side! My dealer wants at list a 12 months wait time!