Windshield phobia

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 759 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Safelite is doing it. I called the nearest dealer and they farm it out to the body shop so the odds are I will get just as good of service from the place that only does windshields. The Progressive Rep asked me if I have a heated windshield and I told her I did not think so but to make sure via the VIN#. Maybe there is only one kind?
I think the heated windshield is standard -- it appeared in the equipment list of my 2019 G550. (but also listed was "full size spare tire", which was inaccurate). There's mention of a windshield heater on page 125 of the owner's manual in the section on climate control.
Good luck - let us know how it goes.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:43 AM

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
G63, G65
@Bob Z.
Just went through this last week...
Safelite, on their own website, has two options. Heated glass or non-heated. The heated glass option (i'm guessing) is a factory MB part that they buy. Installed price for my zip for the heated was $4,200 including calibration. If you go with Safelite non-heated option, it's about $700 installed. I didn't want aftermarket glass in our $200K truck just for resale purposes. Probably nothing wrong with the Safelite glass, but I wasn't going to have that be a potential issue down the line when I go to sell it. I had MB dealer install it (they sent it to the bodyshop up the street that I also use for paint because I trust them on high-end cars), and here was the breakdown:

MB glass: $2,700 part number 463-670-32-00
MB Seal: $52 part number 463-71-33-00
Labor: $204

Out the door with tax was $3,183.02. Your insurance should pay for that, but know you will probably have to escalate to a manager during your phone call about it. Most insurance companies partner with a company for this type of thing (Linx is who State Farm uses), and they will try to put a Safelite glass back in. I told them no, it needs the factory MB glass and they agreed when I pushed them on it since it was essentially a very new car (less than two years old). I paid the dealer for the work, and State Farm is cutting a check back to me for the amount. Get a quote from your dealer and have it ready to send to the insurance company.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:48 AM

G63, G65
As a side note, Buymercedespartsnow has the windshield for $1,500, but it is local pick up only (Lake Bluff, IL). No surprise they don't want to ship a giant piece of glass...

https://www.buymercedespartsnow.com/...eld-4636703200
Old 07-15-2021, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by The Butcher
@Bob Z.
Just went through this last week...
Safelite, on their own website, has two options. Heated glass or non-heated. The heated glass option (i'm guessing) is a factory MB part that they buy. Installed price for my zip for the heated was $4,200 including calibration. If you go with Safelite non-heated option, it's about $700 installed. I didn't want aftermarket glass in our $200K truck just for resale purposes. Probably nothing wrong with the Safelite glass, but I wasn't going to have that be a potential issue down the line when I go to sell it. I had MB dealer install it (they sent it to the bodyshop up the street that I also use for paint because I trust them on high-end cars), and here was the breakdown:

MB glass: $2,700 part number 463-670-32-00
MB Seal: $52 part number 463-71-33-00
Labor: $204

Out the door with tax was $3,183.02. Your insurance should pay for that, but know you will probably have to escalate to a manager during your phone call about it. Most insurance companies partner with a company for this type of thing (Linx is who State Farm uses), and they will try to put a Safelite glass back in. I told them no, it needs the factory MB glass and they agreed when I pushed them on it since it was essentially a very new car (less than two years old). I paid the dealer for the work, and State Farm is cutting a check back to me for the amount. Get a quote from your dealer and have it ready to send to the insurance company.
I think Safelite's "heated vs. non-heated" glass is its notation for whether or not the windshield accommodates the sensor box behind the rear view mirror. If you spec non-heated, you might end up with a windshield that can't be installed or (if it gets installed) an array on non-functioning sensors (can't imagine how the instrument panel lights up in response). Perhaps BobZ can inquire about this at Safelite if he's still on for an appt. today.
A calibration bay is dedicated workspace with $$$ equipment. If it's not being used 8 hours a day, it's a waste of space and money. Not surprising MB dealers farm out the business.

Last edited by streborx; 07-15-2021 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-15-2021, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 462 Likes on 377 Posts
'25 EQG deposit, '21 718 Spyder & '20 HD Fatboy
UPDATE: Safelite called me this morning and canceled the appointment since the windshield arrived damaged, and it was an aftermarket model. They told me they will contact Progressive to get an OEM authorized and I should hear back in a couple days. They said the windshields are the same (heated or non-heated); however, if someone knows for sure please let me know.
Old 07-15-2021, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
UPDATE: Safelite called me this morning and canceled the appointment since the windshield arrived damaged, and it was an aftermarket model. They told me they will contact Progressive to get an OEM authorized and I should hear back in a couple days. They said the windshields are the same (heated or non-heated); however, if someone knows for sure please let me know.
If an aftermarket windshield "installed" is $700 and the MB OE windshield "installed" is ~$4,000, and they are functionally equivalent (except for Gottlieb Daimler's autograph), then it's a no-brainer. Go with the aftermarket glass since you'll probably get nailed with another stone before year-end and need new glass again. $700 is only a bit more money than the the semi-effective protective films discussed elsewhere on the forum. $700 makes the windshield essentially an "A" service maintenance item consumable, just like wiper blades. When you decide to sell the truck, change it out to OEM glass, or learn to forge Gottlieb's signature.
I'm not an accountant, but something doesn't quite add up here. How can the calibration cost of identical OE and aftermarket glass be so different?
Old 07-15-2021, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
If this $700 windshield replacement is legit, I'm going to have my yet perfect "G Daimler" OE glass yanked and put into storage, and replace it with throw-away aftermarket glass so that I can again drive on interstate highways.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:26 AM

G63, G65
Originally Posted by streborx
If this $700 windshield replacement is legit, I'm going to have my yet perfect "G Daimler" OE glass yanked and put into storage, and replace it with throw-away aftermarket glass so that I can again drive on interstate highways.
I like your thinking... Great point about maybe having a $700 windshield just be a Service A item as well. Definitely something to consider.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

They rescheduled the replacement for Tuesday at Safelite. I talked to Progressive Ins. about it and they said the difference between the OEM and aftermarket was not $900 albeit they would not tell me exactly what it was; however, we agreed that it appeared Safelite was looking to make a nice profit on charging me $900 extra for the OEM! The Progressive Rep also said the replacement is a NAGS windshield so it will perform exactly as the OEM and it comes with the same installation kit/gasket, and the only difference is the logo since the manufacturer of them also makes them for MB. Regardless, I am taking the free option and will report back next week.

Have a great weekend all and stay back from trucks, and Porsches with new tires.
Old 07-16-2021, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Have a great weekend all and stay back from trucks, and Porsches with new tires.
From this morning's Durango newspaper -- a motorcycle that didn't stay back from a Porsche (the motorcycle lost the encounter). The tires must be new as the Porsche has a temporary tag.

Old 07-16-2021, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 571 Likes on 374 Posts
2023 G63
They rescheduled the replacement for Tuesday at Safelite. I talked to Progressive Ins. about it and they said the difference between the OEM and aftermarket was not $900 albeit they would not tell me exactly what it was; however, we agreed that it appeared Safelite was looking to make a nice profit on charging me $900 extra for the OEM! The Progressive Rep also said the replacement is a NAGS windshield so it will perform exactly as the OEM and it comes with the same installation kit/gasket, and the only difference is the logo since the manufacturer of them also makes them for MB. Regardless, I am taking the free option and will report back next week.

Thanks for the info. From what I've seen there are three levels of windshields:
-OEM with manufacturer logo which is identical to what comes with the factory
-No logo "OEM" which is identical to OEM but has the glass manufacturer logo and no automotive logo - your Pilkington's and PPG's for example
-True aftermarket which typically is lower quality

I learned this when my Rover's windshield had a golf-ball sized crack when it got hit by a big rock on the highway. Ended up getting the No-logo OEM Pilkington from Safelite which was identical except no "Range Rover" logo. Cost about $500 cheaper than true OEM but was about $300 more expensive than true aftermarket. I even called the RR dealer and they didn't care if the RR logo was present on the glass for trade-in as long as it had identical spec (solar attenuation, heated, etc)

Would be interesting to see how good the $700 option is as been said that's cheap enough just to self-insure.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Install was delayed until Friday so I will post then. In the meantime, I assume it is ok to drive with the crack? I believe there is a thin layer of something sandwiched in the glass to prevent it from falling out, right? I have other vehicles to use but I do not want to take a chance if it can crumble!
Old 07-19-2021, 09:43 AM

G63, G65
Install was delayed until Friday so I will post then. In the meantime, I assume it is ok to drive with the crack? I believe there is a thin layer of something sandwiched in the glass to prevent it from falling out, right? I have other vehicles to use but I do not want to take a chance if it can crumble!
My wife drove with a complete crack about 18" long for 2 months with no issue. Should be fine to drive. Good luck with the install!
Old 07-19-2021, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
The windshield's laminated construction will hold it together for normal driving. Four years ago, I was nailed by a airborne lug-nut on I-294, about one-quarter the way into a 3500 mile road trip. The crack extended most of the way across the glass, but I made it through the remainder of the trip without any problem. As long as you avoid doing a Tiger Woods, you'll be OK.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 G63
Yes if anything you can drive it with abandon now because it’s already cracked haha.

It’s illegal in some states to drive with a cracked windshield although you could say you have an appointment should somebody question you.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:28 PM

Received 128 Likes on 108 Posts
2018 Porsche 911 GT3 2021 Mercedes G 63
Originally Posted by Hodog16
Yes if anything you can drive it with abandon now because it’s already cracked haha.

It’s illegal in some states to drive with a cracked windshield although you could say you have an appointment should somebody question you.
you can be stopped here, but with an appointment, they would let you go.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by Craig B
you can be stopped here, but with an appointment, they would let you go.
If you're planning a road trip vacation, might as well schedule the glass replacement before leaving, as odds are you'll need it by the time you're back home (lol). A cracked windshield is not going to suddenly disintegrate or obstruct visibility, but does compromise the vehicle's safety in a rollover.
Old 07-24-2021, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The replacement windshield was installed at Safelite's shop in just under 2 hours, including the re-calibration. They did a great job and protected the interior and exterior and I was surprised to see they used an OEM windshield. It was still packed when I got there and it had the MB Part# sticker and signature on the lower corner of the passenger's side so it was legit. The bill to Progressive from them was about $3200 ($2700 for the windshield). Very happy with the outcome and zero out of pocket.
The following users liked this post:
tonygwagon (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 G63
Bob thanks for the follow-up. Good to hear it's around $3,000 as I have the Exoshield insurance that covers that amount. So far two marks on the exoshield from rocks hitting it but no damage underneath.

In the meantime inquiring minds will eagerly await streborx's report on the $700 windshield
Old 07-25-2021, 07:24 AM

Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts
mclaren 720s
Originally Posted by Hodog16
Bob thanks for the follow-up. Good to hear it's around $3,000 as I have the Exoshield insurance that covers that amount. So far two marks on the exoshield from rocks hitting it but no damage underneath.

In the meantime inquiring minds will eagerly await streborx's report on the $700 windshield
windshield protection has saved my life… i am on my second film… films gets damaged from rock, rip it off and put new one on.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Bob Z - glad to hear your glass is fixed, that it's OE, that the workmanship is tops, and mostly that you aren't waiting 3 months for back ordered glass. Interesting to know that calibration isn't an all day event as some reports indicate.
My earlier post re $700 glass was in reply to Butcher's post that this is a Safelite option. Anyone know if this really exists or is OE glass the only option?
Old 07-25-2021, 09:41 AM

G63, G65

The replacement windshield was installed at Safelite's shop in just under 2 hours, including the re-calibration. They did a great job and protected the interior and exterior and I was surprised to see they used an OEM windshield. It was still packed when I got there and it had the MB Part# sticker and signature on the lower corner of the passenger's side so it was legit. The bill to Progressive from them was about $3200 ($2700 for the windshield). Very happy with the outcome and zero out of pocket.
Bob,
So if I'm interpreting your posts correctly, you were told Safelite would be putting in the aftermarket glass, but when you showed up it was actually the MB factory glass? Your numbers coincide with mine in terms of pricing. I'm guessing Safelite computer shows aftermarket is an option, but when someone at Safelite tries to actually put their hands on one they realize only factory glass exists right now.
Old 09-19-2022, 12:30 AM

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
2021 G550, BMW X5M, 2020 Toyota Supra LE
In a similar situation now.

Windshield shop says they can get non-heated version installed for 700.00 and can’t get the heated version.

Dealership is telling me that heated is standard equipment in the US. (My 08 G500 had a heated front windshield and you could see the heating coils…my 21’ G550, I can’t see any signs of it being heated).

The manually says it is heated, to add even more confusion, the local windshield repair shop says it isnt.

Perhaps it is only heated on the part the front facing camera shots through?

I don’t know what to do, don’t want to order a non-heated windshield if mine is fully heated…..and don’t want to pay for a heated one if it is only the front facing camera area that is heated.

Can anyone confirm the heat on our windshields? I have a hard time believing Mercedes invented a way to heat the entire front windshield with no heating coils, but still used coils in the rear window….
Old 03-29-2023, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Well, as I think I commented here previously, there are 2 windshields that fit the G -- a windshield that has already cracked, and a windshield that will someday get cracked. I transitioned from the latter to the former on Monday when a car traveling the opposite direction spit a stone across a separating lane and onto my windshield landing about 3 inches left of the camera/radar box lower edge (behind the rearview mirror). It certainly was not the largest rock I've been hit with, but its shape and velocity were on target to do the deed. The chip it took out of the glass was only rice grain size, and I was hoping to make it 3 miles to town and have a glass shop epoxy it, but no such luck. It hair-lined top to bottom by the time I pulled into the parking lot. Crack is only on outer glass layer, so there's no problem driving while waiting for repair. Glass dealer called my insurance company, got approval (full coverage) for OEM glass replacement. On order now from MB with a 4 week lead time. Glass shop is certified to do all the installation and calibration, and my insurance company guarantees my satisfaction as the glass shop franchise is one of its preferred installers. Will update this post with details after repair is finished.
The following users liked this post:
achatgrau (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 01:42 PM

Received 128 Likes on 108 Posts
2018 Porsche 911 GT3 2021 Mercedes G 63
I just had my windshield replaced last Thursday, it took 2 weeks for the OEM windshield to arrive at the dealership. The rock that hit my windshield was small and came from the left rear tire of a Honda on the highway. The chip turned into a crack within a couple miles.

Last edited by Craig B; 03-29-2023 at 01:44 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Windshield phobia