G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

Dealer Damaged my new Matte Black G550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 04:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
21 G550
Dealer Damaged my new Matte Black G550

My car has been in the shop for the past 25 days for honestly no good reason and I was able to see my car while they were working on it only to discover two huge scratches on the door of my almost brand new G550. I have been working with the service manager on my car and she chose not inform me of the damage and after everyone saw I took photos of my car she called me to tell me that sorry and it happened that day only to find out after a bit more research that the car was damaged supposedly a week ago. i am almost certain that Mercedes was holding up my car in the shop so that they could try to fix the damage without telling me . It happens at some shady dealers and since there has been a lot of mistrust and lies from the dealership that this is the approach they were trying to go.

Just wanted to show the forum the damage and a warning to be careful that a dealership can easily scratch a car while working on it? ( I think thats what happened nobody but who knows) they obviously want to fix the damage at their shop but like I said earlier I dont trust them anymore and I instructed them to just finish the service of my vehicle and dont touch the paint as I will take care of it at a body shop I feel comfortable with (they obviously didnt like that but I dont care its my new car and its my right) sorry the pics are wack but I was in so much shock and pissed off I just took a few photos and stormed off before blowing my cool.

I dont want to name the dealership just yet but does anyone know the best Magno paint MB Certified bodyshop near DTLA?

Last edited by Amil1; 04-30-2021 at 05:00 AM.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,473 Likes on 973 Posts
No more MB:(
Unreal, sorry for that. Good luck!
Old 04-30-2021, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 972 Likes on 747 Posts
G550
Be sure that your body shop invoices the MB dealer.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:30 AM

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts
2018 Porsche 911 GT3 2021 Mercedes G 63
Wow sorry, that sucks! Matte paint is really hard to match, will they replace your vehicle? My dealership knows how particular I am. Good luck! I had one of my Lexus SUV’s hit and ran at the bank. Luckily, someone got his license plate and description of his vehicle, he was an insurance agent. The repair turned out well, the insurance company tried to tell me where to have it repaired, I took it to the Lexus dealership, not a local body shop. The bank also had the hit and run on video. The insurance company tried to put me in an economy car.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No expert here but my guess is the door will need to be repainted.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by Craig B
.... Luckily, someone got his license plate and description of his vehicle, he was an insurance agent....
Could only be funnier if he was driving without coverage.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by streborx
Could only be funnier if he was driving without coverage.
Right, he said he thought he bumped into my license plate, the license plate wasn’t mounted on the bumper, it’s mounted on the back door. It was over $2500 to repair my vehicle plus rental car.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 460 Likes on 375 Posts
'25 EQG deposit, '21 718 Spyder & '20 HD Fatboy
Geez! Is that a dent on the door frame as well, or just a reflection? You might be better off letting them repair it since once you leave you are on your own - make them keep it, with you in a loaner, until you are satisfied. They will want to be done with it so they will make sure it is good to go.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:37 AM

Received 236 Likes on 147 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec, 2024 E350 4matic W214, 2014 GLK250 Bluetec, 2000 CLK320 Cabrio
That's easily thousands of dollars to repair properly, as new. Best of luck getting this made whole, keeping it off the carfax and accounting for diminshed value.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Geez! Is that a dent on the door frame as well, or just a reflection? You might be better off letting them repair it since once you leave you are on your own - make them keep it, with you in a loaner, until you are satisfied. They will want to be done with it so they will make sure it is good to go.
I was thinking the same thing, let them repair it, if it’s not right, it’s on them!
Old 04-30-2021, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by Craig B
Right, he said he thought he bumped into my license plate, the license plate wasn’t mounted on the bumper, it’s mounted on the back door. It was over $2500 to repair my vehicle plus rental car.
I never cease being amused by all the people who remain totally ignorant of security cameras, cell-phone tower pinging, and incidental smartphone videographers, apparently believing that they are invisible to such. I don't know about traffic laws in your state, but in Colorado, doing even a no-injury fender-bender hit & run can draw jail time.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by streborx
I never cease being amused by all the people who remain totally ignorant of security cameras, cell-phone tower pinging, and incidental smartphone videographers, apparently believing that they are invisible to such. I don't know about traffic laws in your state, but in Colorado, doing even a no-injury fender-bender hit & run can draw jail time.
It was parked on a city street outside of the bank, the police said they were going to issue a citation for hit and run. In Missouri, over $1K damage is a felony. The police thought since they caught up with him and he admitted to it, I’d be fine with his insurance information. I called the sergeant and made them issue a citation. I spent 8 hours on the highway and a lot of aggravation.
Old 04-30-2021, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
This is actually a good point. Once you take it from them they're off the hook in a sense. Don't take it back. Make it their problem not yours.
Old 04-30-2021, 11:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Very difficult to match magno paints. Very few body shops will even do mattes. Also, you are going to have a diminution in value claim. Anytime you have to respray there will be an adverse effect on the resale value. Once repaired you can hire an independent appraiser to determine the diminution of value and ask for reimbursement. For a high-end car the diminution of value can be significant- + 20%. I have handled claims like this previously in my law practice -just stick to your guns and if not completely satisfied hire a lawyer.
The following 2 users liked this post by lenk:
Amil1 (04-30-2021), Mbracer26 (04-19-2024)
Old 05-01-2021, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts
mgLipGD
I am guessing DTLA is downtown LA. If so while it’s a distance Classic Car Motoring here in Alabama is MB cert. They also work closely with MB here in the state where the GLE/GLS/Maybach are built. They have a massive new start of the art shop due to new requirements required by MB to get paint jobs done on certain high priced trim levels.

http://www.classiccarmotoring.com/

They have a glass encased hauler that picks up and deliveres cars all over the country.

They have a glass paint booth at the old shop

Old 05-03-2021, 09:05 PM

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts
2018 G63
Classic Car does some pretty good work
Old 05-03-2021, 09:07 PM

21 G550
Originally Posted by black06c230
I am guessing DTLA is downtown LA. If so while it’s a distance Classic Car Motoring here in Alabama is MB cert. They also work closely with MB here in the state where the GLE/GLS/Maybach are built. They have a massive new start of the art shop due to new requirements required by MB to get paint jobs done on certain high priced trim levels.

http://www.classiccarmotoring.com/

They have a glass encased hauler that picks up and deliveres cars all over the country.

They have a glass paint booth at the old shop
Originally Posted by Mopars
Classic Car does some pretty good work
it seems like they do but im sure I can stay local in Los Angeles with a good matte black certified body shop.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:57 PM

Find a shop that is certified to fix Tesla's - they have, by far, the most rigorous certification process. Also ask them not to report it to carfax - in N/C they don't have to - don't know about CA. Remember you will still have diminution in value claim even if you get the best paint work.
Good luck!
Old 05-05-2021, 01:31 AM

21 G550
Originally Posted by lenk
Find a shop that is certified to fix Tesla's - they have, by far, the most rigorous certification process. Also ask them not to report it to carfax - in N/C they don't have to - don't know about CA. Remember you will still have diminution in value claim even if you get the best paint work.
Good luck!
Yeah loss of value, loss of use, plus paint & labor its not gonna be a cheap bill. For now my car still awaiting parts for the warranty work they just can't seem to figure out so its day 29 in the shop my car is supposedly going to be ready Friday but we'll see.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
1. You can call Mercedes Customer Care Atlanta business hours (800) 367-6372 - ONLY ask for the tel# of the closest Mercedes Certified Collision Center - DO NOT mention the issue to Customer Car Yet
Call that Collision Center - ONLY ask if they are MB Magno Certified - and if they are NOT - ASK for the tel# of the closest MB Certified AND MB Magno Certified Collsion Center closet

2. Your Dealer will know where the closest Mercedes Collision Center that it ALSO has Mercedes Magno Certification (you have just done #1 to put you are a level playing field with your LA Dealer)

3. A Dealer Paid Repair will NOT be reported to CarFax - confirm that with your Dealer - so ALL this talk about diminished value is Hogwash.

4. You bought a G-Wagen in LA - once you and the Dealer agree the repair will be handled properly - you paid over MSRP because everybody wants one - - you can either take the G-Wagon repaired and be happy - or unwind the deal - get your money back - and get back in line for a 2022 next year.

5. It should not have happened - but it did - a Magno Certified Shop can handle it - it takes both Magno Training and Experience - as each Magno G is a "bit" different - think of it as a fingerprint - having to do on how it was sprayed - and the final MAGNO finish coat is had mixed individually for each G (it's Austria, its the way Graf does it) and MB Magno Certified shop can do it perfect.

Yes - my guys in Arkansas are MB Certified (and BMW, and.., and..) and my guys are MB Magno Certified... and I have mucho Magno rigs out there so, yes, I speak from experience.
The following 3 users liked this post by fabbrisd1:
AffalterWagen (06-09-2021), Mbracer26 (04-19-2024), sweet63 (05-06-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 11:48 PM

I am so tired of the the wild west of the internet where everyone purports to be an expert on all issues. I post very little for this reason although being a member of this forum for quite some time. I generally don't care what anyone says about the advice I give, but saying that diminution in value for this vehicle is "hogwash" is plain ignorant.

Case in point this guy seems to know everything about every Mercedes. I am sure he has lots of experience addressing these types of issues practically amongst everything else mercedes. This joker doesn't obviously know about paint meters and other very easy ways to know if any part on any car has been resprayed or a door replaced and repainted, especially metal, regardless if it shows up on carfax. Do you believe anyone buying a car like this resale won't have the where-with-all to know if a door was repainted or a new door was installed and then painted. SOMETIMES there is no rhyme of reason who may or may not report to carfax. If there is an insurance claim by the dealership to fix your car then it most definitely WILL be reported. Do you think a dealership is going to pay out of pocket or run it through their insurance carrier. Maybe yes, maybe no. Regardless diminution in value will occur.

I have no skin in this game but I have handled well over a 100 diminished value cases in 23 years in legal practice. I also have represented dealerships and body shops on many car related issues for many many years. My goal is only to help someone who is a victim of circumstance.

Ultimately don't believe me or Mr. Mercedes, but do not sign any releases, get an appraisal afterword and you will see for yourself. Also, don't assume if the bodyshop is Mercedes Certified they do the best work in your area. You are entitled to be made whole, not to get a new car or pain and suffering. Only to have the damage repaired, something to drive while it is being repaired and any loss of value as a result of the damage.

Last edited by lenk; 05-05-2021 at 11:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lenk:
Amil1 (05-06-2021), Mbracer26 (04-19-2024)
Old 05-06-2021, 02:01 AM

21 G550
I am so tired of the the wild west of the internet where everyone purports to be an expert on all issues. I post very little for this reason although being a member of this forum for quite some time. I generally don't care what anyone says about the advice I give, but saying that diminution in value for this vehicle is "hogwash" is plain ignorant.

Case in point this guy seems to know everything about every Mercedes. I am sure he has lots of experience addressing these types of issues practically amongst everything else mercedes. This joker doesn't obviously know about paint meters and other very easy ways to know if any part on any car has been resprayed or a door replaced and repainted, especially metal, regardless if it shows up on carfax. Do you believe anyone buying a car like this resale won't have the where-with-all to know if a door was repainted or a new door was installed and then painted. SOMETIMES there is no rhyme of reason who may or may not report to carfax. If there is an insurance claim by the dealership to fix your car then it most definitely WILL be reported. Do you think a dealership is going to pay out of pocket or run it through their insurance carrier. Maybe yes, maybe no. Regardless diminution in value will occur.

I have no skin in this game but I have handled well over a 100 diminished value cases in 23 years in legal practice. I also have represented dealerships and body shops on many car related issues for many many years. My goal is only to help someone who is a victim of circumstance.

Ultimately don't believe me or Mr. Mercedes, but do not sign any releases, get an appraisal afterword and you will see for yourself. Also, don't assume if the bodyshop is Mercedes Certified they do the best work in your area. You are entitled to be made whole, not to get a new car or pain and suffering. Only to have the damage repaired, something to drive while it is being repaired and any loss of value as a result of the damage.
Trust me I will be doing the right thing that is owed to me. I just didnt feel like responding to his hogwash comment because i didnt feel like debating over something pointless. Hopefully trying to find the best body shops in Los Angeles that are experienced with Mango Paint.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
You are entitled to be made whole, not to get a new car or pain and suffering. Only to have the damage repaired, something to drive while it is being repaired and any loss of value as a result of the damage.
I agree -- asserting "pain and suffering" resulting from cosmetic damage to a motor vehicle is preposterous, and is unlikely to sway a jury, one of whom may have had to walk to the courthouse because the transmission in his 14 year old Ford Focus crapped out. Still, when I read forum posts from buyers/owners who agonize over the color choice, wheel size, aftermarket modifications, etc., I tend to think G-owners tend to be sociopath sissies whose rides are primarily ego extensions, and who probably seek counseling after every bug goes splat on their windshield. To them, a rock chip in their $7000 paint upgrade induces legitimate pain and suffering, but it's not appreciated by many others.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG GT
Designo Graphite Grey Magno

I had a tiny scratch on my Designo Graphite Magno, and ended up painting the panel 5 times. They just could not match the sheen perfect. I did it at the shop owned and operated by MBUSA direct.

However, your damage is on an isolated area, and you should not have issues.

Please share your experience with the repair. I am thinking about repainting the panel again.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W463A G63 AMG
Originally Posted by Amil1
My car has been in the shop for the past 25 days for honestly no good reason and I was able to see my car while they were working on it only to discover two huge scratches on the door of my almost brand new G550. I have been working with the service manager on my car and she chose not inform me of the damage and after everyone saw I took photos of my car she called me to tell me that sorry and it happened that day only to find out after a bit more research that the car was damaged supposedly a week ago. i am almost certain that Mercedes was holding up my car in the shop so that they could try to fix the damage without telling me . It happens at some shady dealers and since there has been a lot of mistrust and lies from the dealership that this is the approach they were trying to go.

Just wanted to show the forum the damage and a warning to be careful that a dealership can easily scratch a car while working on it? ( I think thats what happened nobody but who knows) they obviously want to fix the damage at their shop but like I said earlier I dont trust them anymore and I instructed them to just finish the service of my vehicle and dont touch the paint as I will take care of it at a body shop I feel comfortable with (they obviously didnt like that but I dont care its my new car and its my right) sorry the pics are wack but I was in so much shock and pissed off I just took a few photos and stormed off before blowing my cool.

I dont want to name the dealership just yet but does anyone know the best Magno paint MB Certified bodyshop near DTLA?

Dont paint it, no one can match exact same color, im telling you out of my experience, just touch up and forget about it, ill be more satisfied than see your door color different than whole car, unless you paint whole car. I live in LA too my car been in 7 different shops and no one match the color

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer Damaged my new Matte Black G550