G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

463A A-Pillar Blind Spot?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 01:23 PM

Received 136 Likes on 112 Posts
993 TT
463A A-Pillar Blind Spot?

Curious if anyone else has had any visibility issues with the A Pillar in the new body G? For whatever reason, I'm constantly having issues with people stepping off curbs or other little incidents where my field of view is partially obstructed from the A Pillar location on both the left and the right side of the windshield. It's gotten to the point where I now take an extra second to lean back, forward or sideways to check past the A Pillar and clear the pathway when I suspect there could be an issue. I guess at this point I've managed to work around it; maybe its my particular seating position, but I guess I'd like to know if this is just me, or if anyone else has noticed this particular problem?
Old 05-20-2021, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 571 Likes on 374 Posts
2023 G63
I’ve noticed it with the A and side pillars where I have to look around to make sure no blind spots. Definitely not just you—I remember when I saw a pedestrian pop up out of nowhere (when I turned the corner their pace kept them perfectly in my a pillar) but fortunately I was just in a parking lot so easy to stop without it being an issue.
Old 05-20-2021, 03:38 PM

Received 136 Likes on 112 Posts
993 TT
The "corner keeping pace" with pedestrians issue is EXACTLY the problem I've had as well on several occasions. Thanks for your feedback here.

The following users liked this post:
Hodog16 (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 759 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by drew138
Curious if anyone else has had any visibility issues with the A Pillar in the new body G? For whatever reason, I'm constantly having issues with people stepping off curbs or other little incidents where my field of view is partially obstructed from the A Pillar location on both the left and the right side of the windshield. It's gotten to the point where I now take an extra second to lean back, forward or sideways to check past the A Pillar and clear the pathway when I suspect there could be an issue. I guess at this point I've managed to work around it; maybe its my particular seating position, but I guess I'd like to know if this is just me, or if anyone else has noticed this particular problem?
The A pillar isn't nearly as hazardous as the B pillar, which together with the front and rear door frames and passenger seat head rest completely blocks line of sight out the right side of the truck.
Old 05-21-2021, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 571 Likes on 374 Posts
2023 G63
Yes I've noticed that too coming out of my driveway looking for traffic down the street on the right side I have to look around on both sides to make sure somebody isn't coming.