G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

2020 Mercedes g63 Wind noise in cabin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 02:59 PM

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
mercedes g63
2020 Mercedes g63 Wind noise in cabin

So as many others have shared...the newest generation G Class has some unusual wind noise in the cabin ...sometimes sourced from AC issues, door seals, and other sources....Mine had a noise the sounded like rain drops ,for lack of a better description , coming from both A pillars (where they meet at the roof on both driver and passenger side. My best guess is wind is being directed or not blocked form entering A pillars and with loose wires or whatever is present in this space is causing the noise. The noise starts @50Mph and gets fairly loud by 70 mph or better. Dealer said...Normal....lol.

I used some blue painters tape to cover the rain drip gutters near several areas on the exterior of the A Pillars —-Only after blocking off the base of the A Pillar with tape does the noise go away —-entirely....disappeared....as in my cabin is now really quiet——-I used a small piece of black foam to wedge into the base....not sure if this creates problems for rain drain tubes or not...the piece of foam is pourous so I am hopeful that any water drains will not be affected. The piece of foam is around 1.5 inches in length and I live in SoCal so rain is pretty rare and not a big daily issue for me.

Hopefully this helps —-my cabin is now quiet....hopefully I didn’t direct all exterior water into my interior ....that would be bad.

Cheers
Old 02-11-2021, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 Land Rover Discovery 2018 BMW 540ix 2013 Land Rover LR4 2007 Porsche Carrera 4S Cabriolet
Interesting. Are you able to post a photo of your fix? Thanks and good luck.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:05 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
G63, Porsche 911, Yukon XL, Wrangler(s)
Originally Posted by CDHG63
So as many others have shared...the newest generation G Class has some unusual wind noise in the cabin ...sometimes sourced from AC issues, door seals, and other sources....Mine had a noise the sounded like rain drops ,for lack of a better description , coming from both A pillars (where they meet at the roof on both driver and passenger side. My best guess is wind is being directed or not blocked form entering A pillars and with loose wires or whatever is present in this space is causing the noise. The noise starts @50Mph and gets fairly loud by 70 mph or better. Dealer said...Normal....lol.

I used some blue painters tape to cover the rain drip gutters near several areas on the exterior of the A Pillars —-Only after blocking off the base of the A Pillar with tape does the noise go away —-entirely....disappeared....as in my cabin is now really quiet——-I used a small piece of black foam to wedge into the base....not sure if this creates problems for rain drain tubes or not...the piece of foam is pourous so I am hopeful that any water drains will not be affected. The piece of foam is around 1.5 inches in length and I live in SoCal so rain is pretty rare and not a big daily issue for me.

Hopefully this helps —-my cabin is now quiet....hopefully I didn’t direct all exterior water into my interior ....that would be bad.

Cheers
Would you be able to post a picture of your mod?
Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Cocca (02-11-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 03:29 AM

mercedes g63
Yes—-I will post pictures tomorrow—-cheers
Old 03-28-2021, 05:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 S63
please post pictures, wind noise is all over my car
Old 04-01-2021, 12:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 G63 AMG - Matte Black
Has anyone found a solution to prevent wind from entering the non functioning "gutters"?

My cabin is very loud when driving over 50-55 mph.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
21 G63
Can you please post pictures??? Thx!!

Trending Topics

Old 05-17-2021, 10:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 G63 AMG - Matte Black
i took my 2021 G63 to the dealer. They are aware of this issue. They changed the gaskets around the doors and the flaps on the rear side vents. it's not 100% resolved but it is a significant improvement.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:50 AM

mercedes g63
Originally Posted by CDHG63

Cheers

I simply placed some felt into the base of the a pillar. Hopefully not creating a blocked drain tube etc... I put very little , just enough to stop wind entering from this point.
Old 05-21-2021, 04:53 PM

mercedes g63
See below——hopefully this helps quiet the cabin for you