G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

Should I wait until 2023?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 372 Posts
2023 G63
If it makes you feel better I know of a similar situation although it didn’t get as far as yours. Definitely not unique.

Not sure how to advise but I wouldn’t jeopardize your spot.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:45 PM

Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts
2018 Porsche 911 GT3 2021 Mercedes G 63
Originally Posted by ssim
I called MBUSA. I gave the very kinda rep the PO# and she told me a few things: 1) the spec of the vehicle had changed ; 2) it still indicates it’ll be produced in Dec and ; 3) that NetStar shows “client information removed from PO”…and that there’s a name (not mine) on the right side of NetStar.

I don’t know what to do. She offered to file a complaint, but I said I’d call the SA and his GM first.

If there’s any MB sales associates or managers on here that can definitively tell me from the PO# whether I’ve been screwed out of the allocation or not, I’d appreciate the help.
Sounds shady to me, it sounds like they sold your allocation to someone who was willing to pay more than you.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:57 PM

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
G550
She said if I filed a complaint, they'd contact the GM, and that it'd be held against the dealership. When I asked her what that meant, she really couldn't say for sure, so I don't know if it's just a slap on the wrist...lost $ / allocations...etc. From my luck, I'll file a complaint and screw myself out of the hypothetical July 2022 build slot.

Even if I get an allocation for next July, it'll basically be another year before I see the car. Knowing Mercedes, they'll just skip MY23 entirely and go straight to EQG for MY24.

I do not know what to do. First world problem, sure, but when you've waited sooo long and get sooo close, it hurts.

if they screwed you once what makes you think they won’t do it again given the opportunity?

No new G’s for a year isn’t going to bring ADM prices down when they finally start producing them again so who’s to say they won’t give your 2023 allocation away.
Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Deezwho:
hard top (11-21-2021), ssim (11-18-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Deezwho
if they screwed you once what makes you think they won’t do it again given the opportunity?

No new G’s for a year isn’t going to bring ADM prices down when they finally start producing them again so who’s to say they won’t give your 2023 allocation away.
Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me.
i agree, I would go somewhere else.
Old 11-18-2021, 06:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 Aston Martin Vantage
Originally Posted by Craig B
i agree, I would go somewhere else.
I'd like to go somewhere else, and I agree I'll probably get screwed on the 2023, but no one else will do MSRP....so basically 'going somewhere else' means buying a different car?
Old 11-18-2021, 06:33 PM

I'd like to go somewhere else, and I agree I'll probably get screwed on the 2023, but no one else will do MSRP....so basically 'going somewhere else' means buying a different car?
Then, I would have a conversation with the owner or general manager. I wouldn’t want to keep waiting for something I’m not going to receive. Do you have anything in writing? If so, I’d contact an attorney. I’ve had this happen years ago when I ordered an M5 BMW. When I told the owner I was going to turn it over to my attorney, I got the car and didn’t have to contact my attorney.
The following users liked this post:
ssim (11-18-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 06:44 PM

2020 Aston Martin Vantage
Originally Posted by Craig B
Then, I would have a conversation with the owner or general manager. I wouldn’t want to keep waiting for something I’m not going to receive. Do you have anything in writing? If so, I’d contact an attorney. I’ve had this happen years ago when I ordered an M5 BMW. When I told the owner I was going to turn it over to my attorney, I got the car and didn’t have to contact my attorney.
I will try to speak with the GM tomorrow...though for all I know he wanted my spot to go someone else. Crazy world nowadays.
Old 11-18-2021, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 372 Posts
2023 G63
I think dealers are willing to screw people over with their last allocation for 6 months. I don’t think they will do it again when the pipeline continues. Well, at least most dealers. There will still be some that basically operate with an “FU” mentality.

Problem with going somewhere else is starting all over.

Since they changed the spec I wouldn’t want a car I didn’t order so I think that ship has sailed. Maybe tell them look I’m not dumb I know you screwed me but put it in writing I get absolute first allocation for summer 2022 and I won’t file a formal complaint.

Would help to know what kind of trouble they would get in to know how much leverage you have. A nice passive aggressive way to do it is find the general manager and ask casually what happens to dealers who have a formal complaint lodged against them.
Old 11-18-2021, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Hodog16
I think dealers are willing to screw people over with their last allocation for 6 months. I don’t think they will do it again when the pipeline continues. Well, at least most dealers. There will still be some that basically operate with an “FU” mentality.

Problem with going somewhere else is starting all over.

Since they changed the spec I wouldn’t want a car I didn’t order so I think that ship has sailed. Maybe tell them look I’m not dumb I know you screwed me but put it in writing I get absolute first allocation for summer 2022 and I won’t file a formal complaint.

Would help to know what kind of trouble they would get in to know how much leverage you have. A nice passive aggressive way to do it is find the general manager and ask casually what happens to dealers who have a formal complaint lodged against them.
I don’t think MBUSA cares, each dealership is individually owned except for corporate dealerships.
Old 11-21-2021, 04:49 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Volt
She said if I filed a complaint, they'd contact the GM, and that it'd be held against the dealership. When I asked her what that meant, she really couldn't say for sure, so I don't know if it's just a slap on the wrist...lost $ / allocations...etc. From my luck, I'll file a complaint and screw myself out of the hypothetical July 2022 build slot.

Even if I get an allocation for next July, it'll basically be another year before I see the car. Knowing Mercedes, they'll just skip MY23 entirely and go straight to EQG for MY24.

I do not know what to do. First world problem, sure, but when you've waited sooo long and get sooo close, it hurts.
File the complaint to create the record. Believe it or not, MB doesn't want dealers to do this to their customers. MB will take action when complains pile up. Maybe they will also do what they say and contact the GM to confront them. If nobody complains, there isn't a problem they need to take care of. You don't want to continue with that dealership unless you want to get hosed again. Make them feel some pain for what they did to you. The documented complaint is the easiest way to do that and all it takes is a phone call.
Old 11-21-2021, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by hard top
File the complaint to create the record. Believe it or not, MB doesn't want dealers to do this to their customers. MB will take action when complains pile up. Maybe they will also do what they say and contact the GM to confront them. If nobody complains, there isn't a problem they need to take care of. You don't want to continue with that dealership unless you want to get hosed again. Make them feel some pain for what they did to you. The documented complaint is the easiest way to do that and all it takes is a phone call.
I don’t think MBUSA cares to be honest.
The following 2 users liked this post by Craig B:
abhatti55 (11-21-2021), alex92130 (11-21-2021)
Old 11-21-2021, 10:33 PM

G550
Isnt the MBUSA owned dealership in New York charging ADM now?
Old 11-21-2021, 11:11 PM

GL63/GL550/S550/S430
50k after 2 year wait time for me. Don't waste your time.
(that is after multiple conversations with MB NA headquarters and having a contract lawyer deal with them).

Last edited by alex92130; 11-21-2021 at 11:13 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 11-28-2021, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 287 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Originally Posted by Theatrix1
If you are driving the G for the thrill of it's performance, it would be difficult to go back to Range Rover. Having come from years of Range Rovers, I was so happy to get rid of that vehicle. For me, tech and handling are it's biggest disappointments.
And don’t forget RELIABILITY. I have heard from a few neighbours and friends who owned a Range Rover. They all say: “Never Again”. It’s funny, because I never ask about reliability. They just volunteer it. A car has to be really bad for people to basically admit they made a massive mistake.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,453 Likes on 959 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by Surge
And don’t forget RELIABILITY. I have heard from a few neighbours and friends who owned a Range Rover. They all say: “Never Again”. It’s funny, because I never ask about reliability. They just volunteer it. A car has to be really bad for people to basically admit they made a massive mistake.
I think people go into the Range Rover experience hoping for the best. It does offer a lot, luxury and off road capability is world level. Leasing is the prudent approach as ownership could prove to be disastrous. As opposed to the G experience which is the opposite, own and keep.
The following 2 users liked this post by places:
michelleMB (11-28-2021), Surge (11-28-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 11:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,931 Likes on 3,095 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by ovo
HI

I have a G63 75 above MSRP. I just can't swallow that fact I'm paying that much more. I wonder will I regret it in a year when the 2023 is announced?
@ovo 2023 won’t be any different today from a price and availability point of view. So the ADM environment will foreseeably remain unchanged.

Here we are in late 2021, in practical terms 2022 is here. The chip crisis is still here. A strong economy is still here.

2023 models will be sold sometime in 2022, in other words a few months from now. Nothing in the chip crisis (reduced vehicle availability) or strong economy (high demand) will change in a few months.

People who know don’t expect the chip situation to get better until 2023. Maybe.

The US economy, and demand for cult following vehicles like the G-Wagen, will remain strong for the foreseeable future. Sellers have the upper hand.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:08 PM

G550
Originally Posted by places
I think people go into the Range Rover experience hoping for the best. It does offer a lot, luxury and off road capability is world level. Leasing is the prudent approach as ownership could prove to be disastrous. As opposed to the G experience which is the opposite, own and keep.

Land Rover quality control is its Achilles heel. I’ve owned a few and have been really lucky to have not had any major issues for the first 5 years. Multiple friends of mine had major issues from day 1. You either get a good one or a bad one but it’s a crapshoot with LR/RR.
I only lease them now to avoid tempting fate. But I will be getting the new Range Rover. TTV8 should haul that thing. Hopefully will be almost as fun to drive as my G but I doubt it.