'21 Values Rising Fast

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 759 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by 3.Pointed.Czar
That's the easy part. You create a waitlist with loyal customers getting theirs first and everyone else gets to place a deposit and will get an allocation when it's their turn, exactly how my dealership does it given they cant charge over MSRP for a new car. Its not rocket science.
Not sure how fair and consistent the definition of "loyal" can be, or how a bunch of sales guys will settle among themselves which of their clients is deserving of "most loyal", "2nd most loyal", "3rd most...", etc, so that each "loyal" customer receives his fair and deserving place in line. Or how everyone else gets a "fair" place in line behind the "loyal" ones. But here's how things will work in reality. Whoever ends up at the front of the line to get the new truck will place an order for another on the day the first truck is delivered. So the guy who was 10th in line moved up to 9th place for about 30 minutes and then got booted back into 10th place. Number 10 can offer the guy who just took delivery MSRP plus $$$ to get that truck, or he can wait a year and offer to buy the guy's year old truck when the next one arrives, or languish forever in the number 10 position (after all, he's there 'cause he's not very "loyal", right?).
No wait you say -- that's not how it will work. The guy who just took delivery is now ineligible to place an order for another vehicle. But wait -- isn't he a "loyal" customer? Why should he get booted to the end of the line just because he now has a new truck? That's not fair! And how does a person every ascend to "loyal" status, when never advancing up the line and given an opportunity to strive for "loyalty"?
Yes indeed -- there are plans and rules for everything to ensure the free market remains free. Meanwhile, we'll run things like a banana republic.
Old 02-22-2022, 01:09 PM

Received 148 Likes on 92 Posts
GTC, C43 coupe, GLC 300
Originally Posted by streborx
Not sure how fair and consistent the definition of "loyal" can be, or how a bunch of sales guys will settle among themselves which of their clients is deserving of "most loyal", "2nd most loyal", "3rd most...", etc, so that each "loyal" customer receives his fair and deserving place in line. Or how everyone else gets a "fair" place in line behind the "loyal" ones. But here's how things will work in reality. Whoever ends up at the front of the line to get the new truck will place an order for another on the day the first truck is delivered. So the guy who was 10th in line moved up to 9th place for about 30 minutes and then got booted back into 10th place. Number 10 can offer the guy who just took delivery MSRP plus $$$ to get that truck, or he can wait a year and offer to buy the guy's year old truck when the next one arrives, or languish forever in the number 10 position (after all, he's there 'cause he's not very "loyal", right?).
No wait you say -- that's not how it will work. The guy who just took delivery is now ineligible to place an order for another vehicle. But wait -- isn't he a "loyal" customer? Why should he get booted to the end of the line just because he now has a new truck? That's not fair! And how does a person every ascend to "loyal" status, when never advancing up the line and given an opportunity to strive for "loyalty"?
Yes indeed -- there are plans and rules for everything to ensure the free market remains free. Meanwhile, we'll run things like a banana republic.
Sales guys dont choose...dont be daft. The GM at my dealership chooses, not sure how they define "loyal" but I fell into that bracket and thats all I care about. Im sure that definition will also be different for every dealership but at least there is a transparent process in place to get me my car at MSRP (granted my country's lawls also help with this). I was #50 when I placed my deposit at the end of 2020 and currently Im at #17 (the V8 delay didn't help and Ive been stuck at #17 since the pause in production).
Again I cant speak for other dealerships, but mine simply wont sell you another right after buying a new G... for obvious reasons which eliminates all of your "scenarios".
Id much rather have this than being promised MSRP only for the dealer to turn around and ask for $100K extra upon delivery (as has been complained about so many times on here), but you do you.

Last edited by 3.Pointed.Czar; 02-22-2022 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-22-2022, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
...there is a transparent process in place to get me my car at MSRP (granted my country's lawls also help with this).
This is very intriguing -- you're saying there are laws that prohibit selling above MSRP? But the laws surely don't dictate MSRPs, do they?

Has anyone considered the lunacy of a law that essentially states, "you can charge as much as you like, but not a single dollar more"?
Old 02-22-2022, 02:47 PM

Received 148 Likes on 92 Posts
GTC, C43 coupe, GLC 300
This is very intriguing -- you're saying there are laws that prohibit selling above MSRP? But the laws surely don't dictate MSRPs, do they?
Has anyone considered the lunacy of a law that essentially states, "you can charge as much as you like, but not a single dollar more"?
In Canada yes, for any new car. The most a dealer can charge is MSRP plus tax. This is the reason why they only provide allocations to their previous customers and wont entertain new buyers until their current list is fulfilled. But the loophole dealers here like to use is buying newish G's and selling them used at market value which is allowed.

Last edited by 3.Pointed.Czar; 02-22-2022 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-22-2022, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
In Canada yes, for any new car. The most a dealer can charge is MSRP plus tax for a new vehicle. But the loophole dealers here like to use is buying newish G's and selling them used at market value which is allowed.
I suspect there are some games being played here in the U.S. as well. New off-the-truck mileage G's (let's say less than 20 miles) are being sold as "used" in the secondary market by indy dealers, and of course at stratospheric markups. Legally, a vehicle can be sold as "new" only by a franchised brand dealer, so they have to be advertised as "used". Some speculate that MB dealers are trying to avoid the bad publicity of scalping buyers by channeling sales this way. Who knows?
There are no laws here regarding MSRP other than that it must appear on a label in the window of "new" vehicles. Used vehicles usually have a sticker that says only, "sold as is - no warranty" (don't know if "used" Gs are so labeled). MBUSA defers pricing to its dealerships. Recently, Ford and GM announced their intention to penalize dealers for charging is excess of MSRP, but this was entirely a matter of corporate policy, not government mandate.
Old 02-22-2022, 03:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
AMG GT
Well, out of nowhere today I received a check from the dealership. It was my deposit I put down last year. Looks like I'm off their wait list now. Back to square one. I think I may just be over the whole G-Wagon concept at this point.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:56 PM

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 GLC63s, 2021 G63OB, 2021 G63MB, 2022 G63MB
even though canadian laws prohibit one from selling above msrp..the dealers still make you cough up more..they have their games that you ought to play by ... unfortunately..
Old 02-23-2022, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by KWUYOTE3
Well, out of nowhere today I received a check from the dealership. It was my deposit I put down last year. Looks like I'm off their wait list now. Back to square one. I think I may just be over the whole G-Wagon concept at this point.
This would seem to be one method a dealer's GM can use to rearrange the pecking order of all customers (loyal or not). Do you plan to queue up again?
Old 02-23-2022, 11:41 AM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
e92 ///M3
This would seem to be one method a dealer's GM can use to rearrange the pecking order of all customers (loyal or not). Do you plan to queue up again?
whats the point of him queueing up again if he got screwed the first time.
Old 02-23-2022, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by Poofyo101
whats the point of him queueing up again if he got screwed the first time.
Well perhaps he can ascend to "loyalty" status by demonstrating his willingness to be kicked in the face, but still give the dealer his business (lol).
Old 02-23-2022, 03:41 PM

Received 223 Likes on 132 Posts
S580
Used 2021

Old 02-26-2022, 04:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
"The New Sticker Shock" - an article appears in today's Wall Street Journal (online edition). Last month, 82% of ALL vehicle purchases transacted at prices above MSRP. Worth a read.