G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

Tyre pressures

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G63 2022
Tyre pressures

Just wondered if you guys have a preferred pressure to the recommended? Comfort v handling. (G63 AMG)
Old 10-02-2022, 05:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 963 Likes on 739 Posts
G550
IMO, you shouldn't be messing with tire pressure for ordinary driving in order to adjust the ride comfort or handling. If you have 22" wheels and find the ride too stiff, that comes with the wheels/tires at no extra cost. Stick with what's listed on the tire pressure label that's pasted on the driver's side B-pillar -- it's a matter of safety.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:07 AM

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts
G63, G65
Originally Posted by gnasher63
Just wondered if you guys have a preferred pressure to the recommended? Comfort v handling. (G63 AMG)
I always swap to aftermarket tires and wheels, so the volume of the tire somewhat dictates how much wiggle room you can get in terms of comfort vs. handling.

I run them soft though. On a 33x12.50r22 or 35x12.50r22 I typically run 28-30psi. That gives a great ride quality, but it will sacrifice some handling characteristics. On factory tires you might be able to get that low, but probably not quite that low without having strange tire wear or handling issues. You also run the risk of pinch flats the lower you go, but that's probably still plenty of pressure to prevent that in most cases.

As a side note, the factory recommended tire pressure takes a number of things into consideration. Tire wear, handling characteristics, optimal fuel mileage, load handling. If you aren't trying to optimize all of those things at the same time, then you can play with the tire pressure a bit without worrying about sacrificing too much in terms of any one variable.

However, if you want to think about it from a lawyer's angle, improperly maintained or equipped vehicles leave room for a challenge to liability. But, that is a whole other discussion...
Old 10-02-2022, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 963 Likes on 739 Posts
G550
The treadwear argument is a valid one. Tires run at incorrect pressure develop telltale wear characteristics that are discernable to your tire dealer, and this could possibly void your tire warranty. And as tires wear in this manner, stresses transfer to your vehicle's suspension components. The legal issue is also legitimate. Almost every accident I read about involves some hapless driver who "lost control", and this is difficult to refute if your tires are in bad shape.