G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

2024 G63 (Production Ended?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2024, 02:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
AMG G63 (2024), Ferrari Roma (2023), Alfa Romeo 4C Spider (2020)
2024 G63 (Production Ended?)

Hello to all you nice G63 people. I recently spoke with some folks in Stuttgart. They hinted very strongly that Magna Steyr - the actual assembler/manufacturer of the MB G class in Austria - is about to cease (or may already have ceased) its production of the 2024 G class. You can check online as this has been in the news for some time. Magna Steyr is updating its assembly line to prepare for the 2025 models, which may take a month or two before the facilities are ready to commence production. As such, the 2024 model year for the G63 will have a short run. This makes sense as the dealers I speak with anticipate the 2025 units to arrive early winter of this calendar year.

Assuming this is the case, the 2024 model year will be the final year of the pure petro for the G63. The 2025 model will come with several variants, with the closest one to the current G63 consisting of the V8 twin turbo (same as the 2024s) but assisted by electrification. I would assume the electrification will boost its HP and acceleration, but I - with all due respect to others on this board - truly have no interest in electrified powertrain. I know the day is coming when we will all need to convert to e-vehicles to help save the environment, but I do want to enjoy pure petro vehicles for as long as I can. Powertrain is the only reason I opted for the 2024 G63 rather than wait for the 2025S.

I spoke with my Dad who is a huge automobile fan and somewhat of a collector (guess I inherited that gene from him ), and he is of the opinion that I should keep my new G63 "forever" and maintain it in perfect condition because it will invariably become a collector's car sooner than later. For what it's worth, I was planning on doing that anyways, but confirmation from my Dad always makes me happy. I purchased my G63 to use and drive, but hearing from my Dad that it may become a collector's item is merely a bonus. I also spoke with my dealer who told me all the dealers (at least in SoCal where I live) have been receiving their 2024 allocations in "weird sporadic spurts and specs". A lot of times the ones they receive are not in accordance with the specs they requested for customers who had preordered them. My guess is that MB is now just shipping out whatever 2024 G63s they have already manufactured and assuming the approach of "take it or leave it" with the dealers and hence, the customers. I know a friend of mine also recently received hers (hers was preordered) up in Washington and the specs were not exactly identical to her requests, which both she and her dealer thought was odd. Nevertheless, she was satisfied to finally receive her G63 and accepted delivery, and has been extremely happy with her purchase.

I just wanted to bring this to the folks' attention in case you are still waiting patiently for delivery of your 2024 order. What you receive may not be identical to your specs. You can always decline acceptance, but then you may need to get back in line but risk never receiving a 2024. I did ask my dealer what will happen to those who don't receive their 2024 orders or otherwise decline acceptance because the specs do not correspond exactly to their requests, and he said those buyers would then be bumped up to the very front of the line for 2025s. Apparently, MB makes amazing cars but is not a great communicator with its US dealers...

My new G63 purchase may be a good example. It has the exact specs with I wanted - namely Night Black Magno exterior, black interior, and night package. I did not order mine. I got lucky as the dealer called me ahead and informed me of the date of its arrival. I kid you not that my G63 was in the process of being unloaded into my dealer's garage/warehouse when I closed my purchase (and yes, I did pay an ADM - as I had already addressed in another thread). The dealer told me the vehicle they were supposed to receive was the limited "AMG Grand Edition", but they received the one I purchased instead - which apparently consisted of specs they didn't even order. I consider myself EXTREMELY FORTUNATE to come across one with my exact specs. Serendipity working at its finest! For what it's worth, I would not get the AMG Grand Edition because it's covered in way too much gold accents. That's just not suitable to my taste.

Anyways, I just wanted to share this information with the folks who have been waiting patiently for their 2024 G63s. Good luck, and stay safe to all.
The following 2 users liked this post by AmyC:
AMGRonin (05-21-2024), FatTony001 (05-26-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 04:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
G63
Hi Amy. Many thanks for the thorough update and all of your intelligent/funny comments on the other threads. I am sure all the folks who are waiting for the arrival of their orders or are otherwise shopping for a G class will appreciate it. Perhaps because you and I are both based in SoCal, I am hearing exactly the same thing in the marketplace. I've also heard Magna ceased production of the 2024s already. I know a couple of people who had preordered (either the G63 or the G550) but the arrived vehicles were not the exact match to their specifications. They both took delivery of the vehicles because they did not want to risk not getting a 2024 or otherwise get bumped into the 2025 list. I am happy to report that they ave both extremely happy with their purchases. Like you, I opted for the 2024 G63 because I wanted the last non-electrical ICE (internal combustion engine). My wife, on the other hand, is waiting for the 2025. She's more into the whole "newest is better" mentality, which I don't mind at all as she has been a trooper throughout our over 2 decades of marriage. The main reason I am getting her a G63 to her choice is as a gift for years of always standing by me, through the thick and thin.

I was also a walk-in to the dealership with no preorder for my G63, but ended up paying a higher ADM than you did. I don't mind at all because the car is exceeding all of my expectations. Besides, the market is what the market is and there is nothing I can do to control it.

Keep us posted of your experience with your new G63, as I will do the same with mine. Cheers!
Old 05-21-2024, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 570 Likes on 374 Posts
2023 G63
Thanks for the info. Yes 2024 US order banks had been closed for some time, and my dealer just received their last expected 2024 last week. The factory gave dealers the option if they wanted a Grand Edition allocation.

That's interesting to hear about the incorrect specs arriving which is very odd for a factory as tightly run as Magna Steyr.

I don't think the mild hybrid addition to 2025 is really as big a deal as a lot of you all are making it out to be. The electric motor does not have any range and it's merely a boost to help the main engine where it can. I for one cannot wait for my 2025 (and 2026 and 2027, etc )
The following 3 users liked this post by Hodog16:
3.Pointed.Czar (05-21-2024), AmyC (05-21-2024), EJKaufman (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Hodog16
Thanks for the info. Yes 2024 US order banks had been closed for some time, and my dealer just received their last expected 2024 last week. The factory gave dealers the option if they wanted a Grand Edition allocation.

That's interesting to hear about the incorrect specs arriving which is very odd for a factory as tightly run as Magna Steyr.

I don't think the mild hybrid addition to 2025 is really as big a deal as a lot of you all are making it out to be. The electric motor does not have any range and it's merely a boost to help the main engine where it can. I for one cannot wait for my 2025 (and 2026 and 2027, etc )
I agree 100% with your take on the electric "booster" - or whatever MB ultimately decides to call it. All G63s within the past few years are very similar. I just wanted to share the above information with those to whom such information may matter. I will personally stick with a pure V8 biturbo as long as they are available, but I totally understand those who want (or want to wait for) the 2025.

Besides, it seems not only does the 2025 G63 still not have a sunglasses compartment, but MB has also removed the IWC Schaffhausen clock. Anything but the removal of the CLOCK!!! Let's hope the photos I've come across are merely preliminary pictures...
Old 05-21-2024, 09:44 PM

Received 146 Likes on 90 Posts
GTC, C43 coupe, GLC 300
Im sorry to burst your bubble but with current production numbers, the W463a and now the W465 will probably fall short of becoming "collectors" cars. They have made more of this current generation than all previous G generations combined. This is coming from me who obviously loves this car and is getting one.
The G variants that probably have the best odds of becoming collectible will be the rare ones. Like the Maybach Landaulet, 6x6, 4x4², G65 and possibly older gens that never made it to NA (or if they did, in very small numbers).

Also like Hodog mentioned, 24s have been done for a while now. Same thing happened to me, my SA told me 24 production ended early to switch to electric and facelift production so I got bumped to the first 25 my dealer gets. I also got offered 2 random 24 specs that the factory spat out and gave my dealership. But I turned both down as they were not specced how I wanted. I too thought the mild hybrid was a deal breaker, but after doing research and watching countless reviews it seems like it makes little to no difference in driving or sound. Your post on the other hand makes it sound like a PHEV which it definitely is not. So I decided Id rather wait for a 25 and spec it exactly how I wanted.

Last edited by 3.Pointed.Czar; 05-21-2024 at 09:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Hodog16 (05-21-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 12:38 AM

G63
Originally Posted by 3.Pointed.Czar
Im sorry to burst your bubble but with current production numbers, the W463a and now the W465 will probably fall short of becoming "collectors" cars. They have made more of this current generation than all previous G generations combined. This is coming from me who obviously loves this car and is getting one.
The G variants that probably have the best odds of becoming collectible will be the rare ones. Like the Maybach Landaulet, 6x6, 4x4², G65 and possibly older gens that never made it to NA (or if they did, in very small numbers).

Also like Hodog mentioned, 24s have been done for a while now. Same thing happened to me, my SA told me 24 production ended early to switch to electric and facelift production so I got bumped to the first 25 my dealer gets. I also got offered 2 random 24 specs that the factory spat out and gave my dealership. But I turned both down as they were not specced how I wanted. I too thought the mild hybrid was a deal breaker, but after doing research and watching countless reviews it seems like it makes little to no difference in driving or sound. Your post on the other hand makes it sound like a PHEV which it definitely is not. So I decided Id rather wait for a 25 and spec it exactly how I wanted.
I think your tone to Amy may be a bit condescending and defensive, all of which are unnecessary. Amy didn't have a "bubble" for you to burst. She merely referenced a comment by her Dad, and that she was happy to hear her Dad's comment. As for the 2025 G63, she made no aspersions to the model or to those waiting for them. She, like me (along with several others on this board), merely opted for the natural V8 Biturbo without electrification as a personal preference. She even specifically agreed with Hodog16's praise of the 2025 - she said she agrees "100% with [Hodog16's] take on the electric "booster"' of the 2025s, all of which were positive remarks. Finally, it is clear that she posted the thread to be informative for those shopping or waiting for the 2024s to let them know that production has (or may have) ceased for what will be a short run model.

I suggest you go back and reread her comments, including her response to Hodog16. I think you may have misread something into her thread/comments or intentions.
Old 05-22-2024, 01:02 PM

Received 146 Likes on 90 Posts
GTC, C43 coupe, GLC 300
Originally Posted by AMGRonin
I suggest you go back and reread her comments, including her response to Hodog16. I think you may have misread something into her thread/comments or intentions.
My tone was fine. I suggest you stop white knighting as both your replies read like you are OP's alt account lol.

Last edited by 3.Pointed.Czar; 05-22-2024 at 01:04 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by 3.Pointed.Czar:
9650max (05-26-2024), Clutch2 (05-22-2024), johndong888 (05-28-2024), slk320 (05-22-2024), tonygwagon (05-23-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by AMGRonin
I think your tone to Amy may be a bit condescending and defensive, all of which are unnecessary. Amy didn't have a "bubble" for you to burst. She merely referenced a comment by her Dad, and that she was happy to hear her Dad's comment. As for the 2025 G63, she made no aspersions to the model or to those waiting for them. She, like me (along with several others on this board), merely opted for the natural V8 Biturbo without electrification as a personal preference. She even specifically agreed with Hodog16's praise of the 2025 - she said she agrees "100% with [Hodog16's] take on the electric "booster"' of the 2025s, all of which were positive remarks. Finally, it is clear that she posted the thread to be informative for those shopping or waiting for the 2024s to let them know that production has (or may have) ceased for what will be a short run model.

Thank you, AMGRonin. I'm perfectly fine with 3.Pointed.Czar's response. He, like all of us, is probably just excited/nervous of his impending purchase like we all were prior to ours. He has the right to express his opinions. This forum (as is the case for all social forums) is an imperfect platform for communication. People misread the intent of threads and/or comments quite often. To 3.Pointed.Czar, I'm not offended by your comments in any way, shape or form. Everyone here is excited about and cherishes their G63 purchase and ownership experience, so I understand your position. Please note that if you think I spoke negatively about the 2025's, that was absolutely not my intention. I only wanted to share Magna Steyr's production status of the 2024s with the folks who are waiting for, or on the fence with their decision on, this year's model. If I had offended you in any way, you have my sincerest apologies. I've met a lot of nice and decent folks on this awesome forum, who are knowledgeable and have provided me with excellent advice on their G63s as I continue to break mine in (I still haven't hit the 1k mile break-in period so I haven't been able to really push mine).

Stay safe, and let's all get back to our passion for the G63s and continue to help each other out. Cheers!!!
Old 05-23-2024, 01:24 PM

G63
Originally Posted by 3.Pointed.Czar
My tone was fine. I suggest you stop white knighting as both your replies read like you are OP's alt account lol.
My apologies, 3.Pointed.Czar. I reread my post and I reacted too quickly and the words I used were too strong. Trust me, I'm nobody's "white knight" other than to my wife - and that's only on the good days... Amy is correct that forums such as this, while highly helpful for owners and purchasers, are not the perfect way for communications. Maybe it's due to my age, but I find myself reacting quicker than I should. As she says, I'm on the quick path to becoming a cranky old man. Just so you know (I think I posted about it on another thread), I'm getting her a G63 as well, and she also opted to wait for the 2025 mild-hybrid for the increased power and acceleration from the electrification. Hope you get yours soon so you can share your experience with it on this board.

We're not in line at our dealer's list for the 2025 G63, but they know we want one. They told us over 1/3 of the G63 preorders (at least at their store) don't get finalized due to financing or a change of heart by the buyers. Instead, we are going to gamble and walk into the dealership when they arrive. I'm in SoCal. and my dealer is telling me that will probably be in October/November. I know there will be an ADM involved, but I guess that's the risk I'm assuming. Hopefully, my dealership will go easy on us regarding the ADM since we already purchased the 2024 from him.
Old 05-26-2024, 01:59 AM

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Mercedes G63
Nothing new

Originally Posted by AmyC
Hello to all you nice G63 people. I recently spoke with some folks in Stuttgart. They hinted very strongly that Magna Steyr - the actual assembler/manufacturer of the MB G class in Austria - is about to cease (or may already have ceased) its production of the 2024 G class. You can check online as this has been in the news for some time. Magna Steyr is updating its assembly line to prepare for the 2025 models, which may take a month or two before the facilities are ready to commence production. As such, the 2024 model year for the G63 will have a short run. This makes sense as the dealers I speak with anticipate the 2025 units to arrive early winter of this calendar year.

Assuming this is the case, the 2024 model year will be the final year of the pure petro for the G63. The 2025 model will come with several variants, with the closest one to the current G63 consisting of the V8 twin turbo (same as the 2024s) but assisted by electrification. I would assume the electrification will boost its HP and acceleration, but I - with all due respect to others on this board - truly have no interest in electrified powertrain. I know the day is coming when we will all need to convert to e-vehicles to help save the environment, but I do want to enjoy pure petro vehicles for as long as I can. Powertrain is the only reason I opted for the 2024 G63 rather than wait for the 2025S.

I spoke with my Dad who is a huge automobile fan and somewhat of a collector (guess I inherited that gene from him ), and he is of the opinion that I should keep my new G63 "forever" and maintain it in perfect condition because it will invariably become a collector's car sooner than later. For what it's worth, I was planning on doing that anyways, but confirmation from my Dad always makes me happy. I purchased my G63 to use and drive, but hearing from my Dad that it may become a collector's item is merely a bonus. I also spoke with my dealer who told me all the dealers (at least in SoCal where I live) have been receiving their 2024 allocations in "weird sporadic spurts and specs". A lot of times the ones they receive are not in accordance with the specs they requested for customers who had preordered them. My guess is that MB is now just shipping out whatever 2024 G63s they have already manufactured and assuming the approach of "take it or leave it" with the dealers and hence, the customers. I know a friend of mine also recently received hers (hers was preordered) up in Washington and the specs were not exactly identical to her requests, which both she and her dealer thought was odd. Nevertheless, she was satisfied to finally receive her G63 and accepted delivery, and has been extremely happy with her purchase.

I just wanted to bring this to the folks' attention in case you are still waiting patiently for delivery of your 2024 order. What you receive may not be identical to your specs. You can always decline acceptance, but then you may need to get back in line but risk never receiving a 2024. I did ask my dealer what will happen to those who don't receive their 2024 orders or otherwise decline acceptance because the specs do not correspond exactly to their requests, and he said those buyers would then be bumped up to the very front of the line for 2025s. Apparently, MB makes amazing cars but is not a great communicator with its US dealers...

My new G63 purchase may be a good example. It has the exact specs with I wanted - namely Night Black Magno exterior, black interior, and night package. I did not order mine. I got lucky as the dealer called me ahead and informed me of the date of its arrival. I kid you not that my G63 was in the process of being unloaded into my dealer's garage/warehouse when I closed my purchase (and yes, I did pay an ADM - as I had already addressed in another thread). The dealer told me the vehicle they were supposed to receive was the limited "AMG Grand Edition", but they received the one I purchased instead - which apparently consisted of specs they didn't even order. I consider myself EXTREMELY FORTUNATE to come across one with my exact specs. Serendipity working at its finest! For what it's worth, I would not get the AMG Grand Edition because it's covered in way too much gold accents. That's just not suitable to my taste.

Anyways, I just wanted to share this information with the folks who have been waiting patiently for their 2024 G63s. Good luck, and stay safe to all.
This topic gets back to surface whenever G gets any update. There was an advice that the old G production , which ended in 2018, would become a collectable car since many " may not like the new body style and miss the rugged style of the old one".
All car makers are moving into electrification in one way or another, Lamborghini Urus will be a hybrid in 25, I do not think that older models will increase their value. We already know the auction value of that car. Especially that the 25 will have a face lift and increased hp.
Many of the 24 G63 in the market are available because they were supposed to be 4x4 but MB decided to build them as regular G63, this is when the original buyers backed out , and the cars suddenly became available.
I was offered a new 24 because of that scenario, way more expensive that what I would have built, I traded in my 22 to get it, just to be on the top of the list of the new 25, which is supposed to be built around December 24.
I had 15,19,21,22, and 24 G63. Although the 19 to 24 were all the same, I feel that the car gets better each year. I have a complete confidence in the 25 G63. I never paid AMV for any, but used the car as a trade in for the next one.
G remains a great symbol of MB. In Germany they say : When there is a Gelandewagen, there is a way!
The following users liked this post:
nsgymd (05-26-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 03:30 PM

I agree with you on your take. Every generation of G-class does seem to improve its ride and overall features, but every generation's model is also somewhat distinctive. I'm a newbie to my G63 ownership, but I happen to love each era's model. I do wish MB would bring back the old 2-door version. I think the first G-class I ever drove was an old 2-door owned by the parents of a college classmate. They had lent it to me while they were on a 4-week summer vacation. That was an extremely fun car to drive, but was very raw and nowhere near the comfort and amenities level of today's models. It was nevertheless an awesome car (wish I could remember the year of that model).

As for which car/model will become a collectible/classic? I think it's an educated guess at best - just like the stock market. My Dad purchased a 1973 Ferrari Dino 246GT back in the year 2000 for under $50k. He acquired that car for no other reason than he had always loved the Dino's lines, design and curves. He didn't care Ferrari enthusiasts for the longest time regarded the Dino as not being a "true" Ferrari because it had a V6. Dinos, as you probably know, has since then appreciated quite substantially. My Dad would never sell that car though because he loves having and driving it. I kinda go with my Dad's motto to never look at cars as investments; instead, get the cars you love and drive them now. If they become collectibles at some time in the distant future, then that's just a bonus for you to having and driving your car. He's a smart man in my opinion, but I'm obviously biased...

Stay safe.
Old 05-27-2024, 04:49 PM

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Mercedes G63
Ferrari is always different

Originally Posted by AmyC
I agree with you on your take. Every generation of G-class does seem to improve its ride and overall features, but every generation's model is also somewhat distinctive. I'm a newbie to my G63 ownership, but I happen to love each era's model. I do wish MB would bring back the old 2-door version. I think the first G-class I ever drove was an old 2-door owned by the parents of a college classmate. They had lent it to me while they were on a 4-week summer vacation. That was an extremely fun car to drive, but was very raw and nowhere near the comfort and amenities level of today's models. It was nevertheless an awesome car (wish I could remember the year of that model).

As for which car/model will become a collectible/classic? I think it's an educated guess at best - just like the stock market. My Dad purchased a 1973 Ferrari Dino 246GT back in the year 2000 for under $50k. He acquired that car for no other reason than he had always loved the Dino's lines, design and curves. He didn't care Ferrari enthusiasts for the longest time regarded the Dino as not being a "true" Ferrari because it had a V6. Dinos, as you probably know, has since then appreciated quite substantially. My Dad would never sell that car though because he loves having and driving it. I kinda go with my Dad's motto to never look at cars as investments; instead, get the cars you love and drive them now. If they become collectibles at some time in the distant future, then that's just a bonus for you to having and driving your car. He's a smart man in my opinion, but I'm obviously biased...

Stay safe.
Ferrari is a different brand. Old models are like a investment. The company was able yo keep its reputation and tradition when Lamborghini became an Audi and Maserati a Chrysler.
please share old Ferrari photos if u have.
Old 05-28-2024, 12:05 PM
haa

Received 194 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by medtner
Ferrari is a different brand. Old models are like a investment. The company was able yo keep its reputation and tradition when Lamborghini became an Audi and Maserati a Chrysler.
please share old Ferrari photos if u have.
And Porsche a VW and Ferrari a Fiat lol