G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

G63 "Individual" Drive Mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2024, 04:58 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
AMG G63 (2024), Ferrari Roma (2023), Alfa Romeo 4C Spider (2020)
G63 "Individual" Drive Mode

Just an update on my '24 G63 ownership experience. I've finally crossed the 1k-mile break-in period so my baby is in the MB service center for an oil and filter change. I was fortunate enough in finding a professional detailer who knows how to hand wash the Mango black G Wagons without inadvertently turning it into a satin black (like a wrapped matte black vehicle), which apparently is a very common problem over the long term. The truck has been performing greater than all of my expectations with absolutely no problems - except for its turning radius which is frankly downright awful!!! That aside, every time I climb into the vehicle for a drive, it becomes a delightful experience. I love how the seat automatically contours and bolsters my body (a la S class) when I maneuver the vehicle to keep me in place. I want to highlight this feature as I don't think it has been emphasized enough in this forum. It comes in really handy when driving aggressively.

I'm not one to seek attention (usually in a ponytail under a baseball cap with sunglasses on), but driving the G63 with the window down does attract everyone to do a double take at the driver. Funny thing I've noticed is while I get thumbs-ups and shoutouts from guys about the car (which I absolutely appreciate), I generally receive extremely dirty looks from women. What the heck? Go figure...

I do have a question for you more knowledgeable G63 owners: generally I leave mine in Comfort mode in city driving but will change it to Sport+ mode on highways. I find the regular Sport mode somewhat useless. Have any of you ever used the Individual mode setting? If so, is it possible to extract performance even greater than Sport+ mode? Thanks in advance.

Stay safe.
Old 09-11-2024, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,646 Posts
2019 C63CS
No, the Individual mode cannot extract more performance than the highest performance mode. The Individual mode is merely a way to pick attributes from each of the different modes and combine them to build a personalized mode. Maybe you like to combine the sportiest response of the engine/transmission with the softest setting of the suspension if the roads around where you drive are not the best. That's what the Individual mode allows you to do. FWIW, I mostly drive my C63S Coupe in Individual mode. I use Comfort around town, but as soon as I hit up an onramp or open road I put it in Individual mode by pressing the drive mode selector on the steering wheel. You can press it to directly jump to the Individual mode from any of the other modes instead of turning the knob. I have my Individual mode set up mostly like Sport+, except I have the suspension dialed back a notch to Sport, but most importantly I have the transmission set to M as I prefer to shift gears manually. So with one press of a button, I have the car set up exactly how I want it for highway and spirited driving. I do however have an additional mode above Sport+ called Race. I use Race on the fun canyon roads around here and on the track. It's mostly for the latter, but Race offers the most linear engine response and neutral handling. Sport+ has a progressive throttle map, which isn't as good at modulating the power as the linear throttle map in Race mode is. However, the G and most non-S 63 models don't offer Race mode.

Last edited by superswiss; 09-11-2024 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-12-2024, 01:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
AMG G63 (2024), Ferrari Roma (2023), Alfa Romeo 4C Spider (2020)
Originally Posted by superswiss
No, the Individual mode cannot extract more performance than the highest performance mode. The Individual mode is merely a way to pick attributes from each of the different modes and combine them to build a personalized mode. Maybe you like to combine the sportiest response of the engine/transmission with the softest setting of the suspension if the roads around where you drive are not the best. That's what the Individual mode allows you to do. FWIW, I mostly drive my C63S Coupe in Individual mode. I use Comfort around town, but as soon as I hit up an onramp or open road I put it in Individual mode by pressing the drive mode selector on the steering wheel. You can press it to directly jump to the Individual mode from any of the other modes instead of turning the knob. I have my Individual mode set up mostly like Sport+, except I have the suspension dialed back a notch to Sport, but most importantly I have the transmission set to M as I prefer to shift gears manually. So with one press of a button, I have the car set up exactly how I want it for highway and spirited driving. I do however have an additional mode above Sport+ called Race. I use Race on the fun canyon roads around here and on the track. It's mostly for the latter, but Race offers the most linear engine response and neutral handling. Sport+ has a progressive throttle map, which isn't as good at modulating the power as the linear throttle map in Race mode is. However, the G and most non-S 63 models don't offer Race mode.
I figured as much. Thank you very much for your input. I was just curious and probably being overly greedy to see if I can extract more performance out of the G63. I'm glad to know Sport+ mode is the max. I may set my Individual mode to mimic the Sport+ mode but adjust the transmission to manual. I prefer the manual transmission when I want to push the vehicle hard.

Btw, I heard back from my MB service department. Apparently 3 of the spark plugs are malfunctioning. The service guys will replace them. No big deal and I'm glad they caught it early.

Stay safe.