G Class (W465/W463A) W463 Produced 2019-2024: G550, G63 AMG W465 Produced 2025-

G63 delivered with wrong options??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2021 | 12:50 AM

G63
G63 delivered with wrong options??

Hi All,

I am a new member just took possession of a 2021 G63 today. Unfortunately while picking up the car I found out the brake callipers of the delivered car is silver however in my spec it should be standard red. Dealer also checked the document and it should be red but no idea why the actual car delivered is silver (which is a no cost option that I didn’t select).

the car is getting full PPF now and I am waiting for my dealer to get this sorted, anyone in this forum has a similar experience with ordering something and delivery spec is different? For mine one it’s just the brake callipers in the wrong colour, everything else was fine.

Thanks all!

Old 02-19-2021 | 12:52 AM

G63
Really keen for our experience fellows to provide some guidance, what will Mercedes do? Send a new set of red callipers or what? I am extremely fuzzy about the calliper as personally I think that makes a huge difference to the car. Thanks all!
Old 02-19-2021 | 12:54 AM

G63
PS: I have already taken possession of the car as dealer said they will get this fixed, and I don’t want to wait any longer after almost a year of waiting....in NZ we do have relevant legislation to protect consumers but would like to resolve it in a friendly manner, end of the day I do love the car.
Old 02-19-2021 | 01:21 AM

Porsche 991.2 GT3RS
Looks even better than red!
Old 02-19-2021 | 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Well - if I understand you correctly - you had a Build-Order with your Dealer - do you have a copy of that Agreed Build-Sheet ?

Here in the US - on a sheet like that - at the bottom it says "Mercedes reserves to change prices or specification without notice" .

Here in the US - that does not cover a Dealer who does not do their part.

The fact here is this - the Factory Builds to a Confirmed Dealer Order - and Graz (G-factory) builds to the Exact Confirmed Dealer Order - Graz DOES NOT change brake caliper color or any build-spec in production - the Dealer Order was incorrect - and you should understand this.

It's up to your Dealer to tell you what the Dealer can do (at their cost) to make this right - it is not a "Mercedes problem".

That's where you're at man - you already chose to "accept it" since you drove away with it - no need to ramp up the drama because either your Dealer will "spin a tale on and on" or make good - that's up to the Dealer and frankly no one needs a "tall tale".
Old 02-19-2021 | 03:45 AM

G63
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Well - if I understand you correctly - you had a Build-Order with your Dealer - do you have a copy of that Agreed Build-Sheet ?

Here in the US - on a sheet like that - at the bottom it says "Mercedes reserves to change prices or specification without notice" .

The fact here is this - the Factory Builds to a Confirmed Dealer Order - and Graz (G-factory) builds to the Exact Confirmed Dealer Order - Graz DOES NOT change brake caliper color or any build-spec in production - the Dealer Order was incorrect - and you should understand this.

It's up to your Dealer to tell you what the Dealer can do (at their cost) to make this right - it is not a "Mercedes problem".

That's where you're at man - you already chose to "accept it" since you drove away with it - no need to ramp up the drama because either your Dealer will "spin a tale on and on" or make good - that's up to the Dealer and frankly no one needs a "tall tale".
thanks man. Only reason I drove away is cuz I couldn’t afford the wait for another year, lol. Would definitely preferred the standard red ones but let’s see how it goes, thanks heaps mate (the NZ way of expressing sincere greetings).
Old 02-19-2021 | 03:53 AM

G63
Originally Posted by NINE11
Looks even better than red!
Hahaha, thanks mate I am trying to impress myself, looks good but still trying to get that little red.

The following users liked this post:
DaimlerGuy (02-20-2021)
Old 02-19-2021 | 03:59 AM

G63
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1

Understood what you mean bro very much appreciate it. Not concerned bout just question mark about if it happened to anyone else?? Like ordered one thing and arrived another? Lucky just the brake not the roof in red, lol....
Old 02-19-2021 | 04:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
You can have them painted red at a body shop with far less time, money and frustration than waiting for MB customer service to resolve this.
Old 02-19-2021 | 04:20 AM

G63
Originally Posted by streborx
You can have them painted red at a body shop with far less time, money and frustration than waiting for MB customer service to resolve this.
Thanks mate, but my worry is that it’s not factory and potentially not as heat resistant paint and colour not exact match?
Old 02-19-2021 | 04:22 AM

G63
I guess it’s like WTF with a 200K plus car with wrong spec, if it’s a normal thing I will totally accept but just trying to seek if anyone has similar experiences?
Old 02-19-2021 | 04:37 AM

G63
Originally Posted by Michael Yang
Understood what you mean bro very much appreciate it. Not concerned bout just question mark about if it happened to anyone else?? Like ordered one thing and arrived another? Lucky just the brake not the roof in red, lol....
the thing is my dealer showed me the spec they confirmed which is same as what I ordered, but actual thing here all correct except for brakes......
Old 02-19-2021 | 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 G63
I’ve read of it happening with vehicles and I believe somebody posted in this forum of it happening to them but that might have been a dealer ordering issue.

Don’t blame you for just taking the car but it limits likely what the dealer will do. Options are:
-Ask dealer to replace with red calipers. I imagine they will say no.
-Have a body shop use caliper paint as suggested above and have an AMG stencil. There’s specific paint available that’s heat resistant etc. This would be cheaper than replacement and the dealer may be willing to cover this cost.
-If trade in value in NZ is as strong as here, order another one next year and trade this one back in. Best of both worlds you get to enjoy it now and eventually get what you want.
-Just keep it.

I like the red calipers so if it were me here in the US, I’d take it as you did and get another allocation for next year with the right spec.

Car looks great congrats!
Old 02-19-2021 | 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Thanks mate, but my worry is that it’s not factory and potentially not as heat resistant paint and colour not exact match?
A quality body shop has access to factory OE paint, so material shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully painting would require only unbolting the calipers and not having to remove them. Likely MB/Magna Steyr didn't have red calipers in stock the day your G rolled down the assembly line, so they used what was available, expecting you to take it. On my 2019 G, they used a leftover 2018 wheel cover that didn't fit the Pirelli size mounted tire, so they slapped a smaller Conti tire on under the cover with a sticker "MAX 45 MPH" affixed to it, and regarded it a "full size spare" as the build sheet listed. MBUSA doesn't respond to my complaints about this. This is standard policy for "the world's greatest car company". While I like my G, I think MB has terrible customer service and relations. I would never consider buying another MB vehicle, and will dump my G if it develops odd problems experienced by others as reported elsewhere on this forum.
Old 02-19-2021 | 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No more MB:(
I actually don't mind the silver, prefer red but I wouldn't make a big deal over it. Ask the dealer to switch them out and give you a decent price for it.
Old 02-19-2021 | 02:31 PM

G63
Originally Posted by Hodog16
I’ve read of it happening with vehicles and I believe somebody posted in this forum of it happening to them but that might have been a dealer ordering issue.

Don’t blame you for just taking the car but it limits likely what the dealer will do. Options are:
-Ask dealer to replace with red calipers. I imagine they will say no.
-Have a body shop use caliper paint as suggested above and have an AMG stencil. There’s specific paint available that’s heat resistant etc. This would be cheaper than replacement and the dealer may be willing to cover this cost.
-If trade in value in NZ is as strong as here, order another one next year and trade this one back in. Best of both worlds you get to enjoy it now and eventually get what you want.
-Just keep it.

I like the red calipers so if it were me here in the US, I’d take it as you did and get another allocation for next year with the right spec.

Car looks great congrats!
thanks a lot buddy, I will see what it turns out and might do the ordering as you suggested, thanks a lot!
Old 02-19-2021 | 02:33 PM

G63
Originally Posted by places
I actually don't mind the silver, prefer red but I wouldn't make a big deal over it. Ask the dealer to switch them out and give you a decent price for it.
Thanks and yes silver looks okay as I looked more, I will still try hard to get it to red and see how my dealer turns out : )
Old 02-19-2021 | 02:40 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
My vote would be: keep the calipers as are and get the dealer to write you a check. The factory does make changes without notification too More importantly: enjoy the truck!
Old 02-19-2021 | 02:47 PM

G63
A quality body shop has access to factory OE paint, so material shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully painting would require only unbolting the calipers and not having to remove them. Likely MB/Magna Steyr didn't have red calipers in stock the day your G rolled down the assembly line, so they used what was available, expecting you to take it. On my 2019 G, they used a leftover 2018 wheel cover that didn't fit the Pirelli size mounted tire, so they slapped a smaller Conti tire on under the cover with a sticker "MAX 45 MPH" affixed to it, and regarded it a "full size spare" as the build sheet listed. MBUSA doesn't respond to my complaints about this. This is standard policy for "the world's greatest car company". While I like my G, I think MB has terrible customer service and relations. I would never consider buying another MB vehicle, and will dump my G if it develops odd problems experienced by others as reported elsewhere on this forum.
Oh!! Sounds like you had an even worst issue that the spear wheel cover is of a old model??? That is just ridiculous especially with what we paid for the G! So no luck in resolving it for you mate?
Old 02-19-2021 | 02:50 PM

G63
Originally Posted by hyperion667
My vote would be: keep the calipers as are and get the dealer to write you a check. The factory does make changes without notification too More importantly: enjoy the truck!
Thanks buddy, I would imagine them paying me would be hard, but surely something can do done either way. There was a suggestion of ordering another one which I would probably do to change a colour to selenite grey which I also loves.
hyperion667 (02-19-2021)
Old 02-19-2021 | 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No more MB:(
Thanks and yes silver looks okay as I looked more, I will still try hard to get it to red and see how my dealer turns out : )
Just tell people you custom ordered it that way since everyone has red
Old 02-19-2021 | 03:12 PM

G63
Originally Posted by places
Just tell people you custom ordered it that way since everyone has red
Hahaha, that might be another way for correction! Thanks buddy.
places (02-19-2021)
Old 02-19-2021 | 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 G63
Yours may be different but I thought everybody's is the same way? I have a Continental tire on the 20" G550 night package multi-spoke rim despite having 21" rims and I think others have the same thing.
Old 02-19-2021 | 06:07 PM

G 63
I had this happen with a Land Rover Range Rover Sport. I had ordered black lacquer trim, and it was built with knurled metal trim.

The only explanation I got was that the factory must not have had the correct trim available when needed, and therefore chose to substitute.

I will say though, everything was handled and fixed to my liking. Land Rover sent all of the correct pieces to my dealer for the metal trim to be switched out.
Old 02-19-2021 | 08:42 PM

G63
Originally Posted by LRGuy
I had this happen with a Land Rover Range Rover Sport. I had ordered black lacquer trim, and it was built with knurled metal trim.

The only explanation I got was that the factory must not have had the correct trim available when needed, and therefore chose to substitute.

I will say though, everything was handled and fixed to my liking. Land Rover sent all of the correct pieces to my dealer for the metal trim to be switched out.
Thanks man, hopefully this will happen with my G as well. Thanks for sharing!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G63 delivered with wrong options??