G Class (W465/W463A) W463 Produced 2019-2024: G550, G63 AMG W465 Produced 2025-

Windshield phobia

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2023 | 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by streborx
Well, as I think I commented here previously, there are 2 windshields that fit the G -- a windshield that has already cracked, and a windshield that will someday get cracked. I transitioned from the latter to the former on Monday when a car traveling the opposite direction spit a stone across a separating lane and onto my windshield landing about 3 inches left of the camera/radar box lower edge (behind the rearview mirror). It certainly was not the largest rock I've been hit with, but its shape and velocity were on target to do the deed. The chip it took out of the glass was only rice grain size, and I was hoping to make it 3 miles to town and have a glass shop epoxy it, but no such luck. It hair-lined top to bottom by the time I pulled into the parking lot. Crack is only on outer glass layer, so there's no problem driving while waiting for repair. Glass dealer called my insurance company, got approval (full coverage) for OEM glass replacement. On order now from MB with a 4 week lead time. Glass shop is certified to do all the installation and calibration, and my insurance company guarantees my satisfaction as the glass shop franchise is one of its preferred installers. Will update this post with details after repair is finished.
Finally got my windshield replaced yesterday. A local auto glass company that does work for many local dealerships did the work (Safelite has only mobile service in this area and cannot do windshields that require calibration). It took 5 weeks for the nearest MB dealership to get the glass and a couple weeks for the auto glass company to do the pickup. As it turned out, the delay proved good, as 2 weeks ago I drove to Denver to have the most recent NHTSA recall done at a dealership (this is another story altogether), and while driving around there, I experienced further windshield damage. I'm convinced somebody was shooting out windshields with a subsonic rifle, as I was left with a pock-mark about 1.5" diameter, where the glass was pulverized, in the center of the windshield where the ADAS camera is located behind the rear view mirror. I've never seen a rock do damage like this.

Paranoid? I think not. A couple weeks ago in suburban Denver, 3 clowns were driving around at night heaving softball size rocks pilfered from Walmart's parking lot onto the windshields of cars driving the opposite direction. This was all great fun until one of the struck vehicles lost control, drove off the road and the 20-something woman driving the car was killed. Law enforcement correlated the times and and locations of 7 rock-tossing/busted windshield incidents that night with cell-tower pinging, and identified the three perps through their cellphones. All three are now sitting in the county jail charged with 1st degree murder and are facing life prison sentences. Unfortunately, low-lifes like these three stooges never watch the news, and so there are plenty of others hell-bent on personal property destruction on the loose, believing they can get away with whatever they do, and ignorant of the stupidity of other like-minded creeps.

Back to my windshield repair -- genuine MB replacement glass with Otto's Gottlieb's signature in the lower r/h corner. Total cost was $2820 for the glass and $630 for installation, calibration and tax for a total of $3450. Insurance company is paying in full (no deductible on windshields). All ADAS functions work as before (except LKA that I've disabled). A windshield laminate would likely have prevented the first crack that began with a chip about the size of a rice grain, but would have been useless against the impact of the the second object, whatever it was. BTW, I have reviewed my dashcam video from the time of this second incident several times, and have not been able (even in slow motion) to see any object being flipped upward from the road surface by a passing vehicle.

Last edited by streborx; 05-25-2023 at 10:05 AM. Reason: changed Otto to Gottlieb
The following users liked this post:
V8ray (05-24-2023)
Old 06-04-2023 | 10:35 AM

MB
I think the heated windshield is standard -- it appeared in the equipment list of my 2019 G550. (but also listed was "full size spare tire", which was inaccurate). There's mention of a windshield heater on page 125 of the owner's manual in the section on climate control.
Good luck - let us know how it goes.
I appreciate your input and wanted to share my experience with windshield repair in Denver. When I had a cracked windshield on my 2019 G550, I was concerned about maintaining the functionality of the heated windshield. That's when I discovered
<!--td {border: 1px solid #cccccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->https://*******/maps/a2VPJ6ytVyk8Lmmx5. Their knowledgeable technicians were well-versed in handling luxury car models like mine. They assured me that they could replace the windshield while preserving the heated feature. True to their word, the replacement went smoothly, and my heated windshield continued to work flawlessly. If you're in a similar situation, I highly recommend reaching out to them. Their expertise and attention to detail will ensure a successful repair that keeps your vehicle's features intact. Good luck, and don't hesitate to share your experience with us!
Old 06-04-2023 | 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by JSFMA13
I appreciate your input and wanted to share my experience with windshield repair in Denver. When I had a cracked windshield on my 2019 G550, I was concerned about maintaining the functionality of the heated windshield. That's when I discovered <!--td {border: 1px solid #cccccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->https://*******/maps/a2VPJ6ytVyk8Lmmx5. Their knowledgeable technicians were well-versed in handling luxury car models like mine. They assured me that they could replace the windshield while preserving the heated feature. True to their word, the replacement went smoothly, and my heated windshield continued to work flawlessly. If you're in a similar situation, I highly recommend reaching out to them. Their expertise and attention to detail will ensure a successful repair that keeps your vehicle's features intact. Good luck, and don't hesitate to share your experience with us!
Was your insurance company willing to pay for genuine MB OEM glass? Another earlier forum post reported that there's a less expensive aftermarket windshield available for about $700, but I don't recall if it included the heater/defroster and rain sensor.
Old 09-11-2023 | 04:31 AM

2018 Porsche 911 GT3 2021 Mercedes G 63
Was your insurance company willing to pay for genuine MB OEM glass? Another earlier forum post reported that there's a less expensive aftermarket windshield available for about $700, but I don't recall if it included the heater/defroster and rain sensor.
My insurance company paid for OEM replacement glass, my dealership said not to use the aftermarket glass. They also sold Safelite the windshield, so who knows.
Old 09-11-2023 | 11:28 AM

G63
Well, as I think I commented here previously, there are 2 windshields that fit the G -- a windshield that has already cracked, and a windshield that will someday get cracked. I transitioned from the latter to the former on Monday when a car traveling the opposite direction spit a stone across a separating lane and onto my windshield landing about 3 inches left of the camera/radar box lower edge (behind the rearview mirror). It certainly was not the largest rock I've been hit with, but its shape and velocity were on target to do the deed. The chip it took out of the glass was only rice grain size, and I was hoping to make it 3 miles to town and have a glass shop epoxy it, but no such luck. It hair-lined top to bottom by the time I pulled into the parking lot. Crack is only on outer glass layer, so there's no problem driving while waiting for repair. Glass dealer called my insurance company, got approval (full coverage) for OEM glass replacement. On order now from MB with a 4 week lead time. Glass shop is certified to do all the installation and calibration, and my insurance company guarantees my satisfaction as the glass shop franchise is one of its preferred installers. Will update this post with details after repair is finished.
x2 for posterity's sake to report the same thing happened to me on my 21 G63

Small chip from a rock hitting the windshield, didn't think anything of it, spider-webbed top to bottom and to the sides a bit more and more over a couple days

OEM replacement done with insurance, no problems so far on the new glass..

If I get hit again with a small chip, I will try to get it fixed/epoxy/patched fast since I've never seen a glass chip spread so quickly and furiously on a car
Old 09-11-2023 | 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by sampelligrino
x2 for posterity's sake to report the same thing happened to me on my 21 G63

Small chip from a rock hitting the windshield, didn't think anything of it, spider-webbed top to bottom and to the sides a bit more and more over a couple days

OEM replacement done with insurance, no problems so far on the new glass..

If I get hit again with a small chip, I will try to get it fixed/epoxy/patched fast since I've never seen a glass chip spread so quickly and furiously on a car
I now carry a roll of clear Gorilla with me to cover any future chips as soon as they happen. A guy on the BMW forum applied this fix when he was chipped on day 2 of his 2 week road trip, and said this kept the chip from spreading until he was able to get it epoxied.
The following 3 users liked this post by streborx:
achatgrau (09-11-2023), sampelligrino (09-11-2023), tonygwagon (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023 | 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 G63
That’s really smart. I keep a fresh rain-x repair kit in the garage at all times.
Old 09-12-2023 | 12:06 AM

2019 G63 AMG, 2019 BMW M5 Competition
Originally Posted by EDFIX2019
When it comes to protecting your windshield, you might want to look into windshield protection films. They can add an extra layer of defense against rocks and debris. As for where to find these films and get them professionally installed, Dr. Rock Chip Repair specializes in windshield repair and could offer some guidance. Here's their link: https://www.coloradochip.com/.

Hopefully, that film can help you enjoy your G63 without those windshield woes! 🌟🔧
Great in theory , but they dont work great and the scratch as well. I got one installed professionally in April of this year 2023. There is a definite almost haze on the windshield, it's not as clear as the glass with out the film. It also scratches pretty easily. In addition... today got a nice rock chip that instantly spidered across the windshield, even with the 500.00 film installed. Complete waste of money and wont be replacing the film when I get a new windshield. Was a fun 4.5 month run with a film that was basically a gimmick.
Old 09-12-2023 | 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by sampelligrino
x2 for posterity's sake to report the same thing happened to me on
First time I read your post, I misread it as "for posterior's sake" -- got a good laugh.
Old 09-12-2023 | 11:14 AM

G550, Mini SE
Originally Posted by ffejnotrom
Great in theory , but they dont work great and the scratch as well. I got one installed professionally in April of this year 2023. There is a definite almost haze on the windshield, it's not as clear as the glass with out the film. It also scratches pretty easily. In addition... today got a nice rock chip that instantly spidered across the windshield, even with the 500.00 film installed. Complete waste of money and wont be replacing the film when I get a new windshield. Was a fun 4.5 month run with a film that was basically a gimmick.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
I am curious which brand of windshield film was it?
Old 09-12-2023 | 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 G63
I've had exoshield and now have clearplex.

Initially they do seem to make the wipers chatter more but at least with the clearplex that has been less of an issue as time went on. Visibility is okay but my clearplex does have scratches on it from install but I can live with them.

For the exoshield I had at least 2-3 good hits that only put am impact mark on the film but no damage to windshield.

Just like PPF though, if you have a hard enough hit, it will go through the protection and damage the paint or windshield underneath.

The only "solution" I've found reliably is to avoid driving the G on the highway. Even that's not perfect but every rock chip or windshield damage I can think of has happened above 60 mph.
jamgolf (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023 | 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by jamgolf
Thanks for sharing your experience.
I am curious which brand of windshield film was it?
I don't fully recall, but I THINK, it was this, I got this from the website of the place that installed it....

https://www.ultrafitprotection.com/H...t_Nano_Ceramic

Old 09-12-2023 | 04:05 PM

G550, Mini SE
I don't fully recall, but I THINK, it was this, I got this from the website of the place that installed it....

Thank you !
Old 09-12-2023 | 05:52 PM

2021 G63; 2018 Aston Martin DB11
2 windshields in 6 months. Both had windshield protection. Not worth it imo. Insurance loves me at $3200 a pop. Unlimited replacements here in KY.
Old 09-12-2023 | 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by dcarrer0
2 windshields in 6 months. Both had windshield protection. Not worth it imo. Insurance loves me at $3200 a pop. Unlimited replacements here in KY.
agree, I wont do it again. Unfortunately in Arizona with how many rocks and things we get the no deductible option is like an additional 1000.00 a year. Otherwise it just goes under the comprehensive, and is covered with a regular deductible. So im looking at 500.00 or 1000.00 (cant remember) to replace after insurance. Unless I change my coverage to the no deductible on glass, but then the premium is 1000.00 more, so doesnt really matter at that point.

If we drove on the freeway more, i'd probably opt for just a lower deductible in general, like 100-250.00 instead of the 500-1000.00 I have now, which would also cover the glass. But it's just a gamble wether the increased cost is worth it. If I had to replace the windshield 2-3x a year it would of course be worth it, but I kinda penciled it all figuring 1x replacement every 12-18 months which is about 2x more than we had on our escalade. I think we replaced that 1-2 times in 3-4 years.

Last edited by ffejnotrom; 09-12-2023 at 06:24 PM.
dcarrer0 (09-14-2023)
Old 09-12-2023 | 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 G63

That looks like glorified window tint. No mention of impact protection.

I did research on the topic a few years ago and basically I’d stick to exoshield or clearplex.
Old 09-12-2023 | 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Hodog16
That looks like glorified window tint. No mention of impact protection.

I did research on the topic a few years ago and basically I’d stick to exoshield or clearplex.
Anything is possible, but it's definitely not glorified window tint. Of course, window tint goes on the inside of the glass, this did not go on the inside and it's much thicker than standard window tint, I would say its similar in thickness to PPF film but I don't know. I also am not sure if thats actually what they installed. Thats what Im guessing based on their website and products they carry.

I don't know, but I have a hard time believing any of these companies products differ that much from brand to brand. Maybe some minor differences, but let's be honest we're talking about some clear vinyl with adhesive on it. The fact of the matter is there isnt a lot you can do to keep these from cracking when hit with a rock.

Old 09-12-2023 | 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 G63
Gotcha. That's true the laws of physics always win!
Old 09-12-2023 | 10:49 PM

quick question.... Do all G63 2019 + have the heated windshield ? It's difficult to find accurate information, but if not all 2019+ G63 have heated windshield, how would one know if you do or dont have heated? IF they all are obviously it doesnt matter. But wondering if anyone knows.
Old 09-14-2023 | 03:53 PM

mclaren 720s
two rocks hit my windshield and bounced off last weekend. slight indents in the windshield protection but no damage to the windshield. a couple more marks, will replace with new protection film! its a must have.
The following 2 users liked this post by spourreza:
achatgrau (09-14-2023), jamgolf (09-14-2023)