G Class (W465/W463A) W463 Produced 2019-2024: G550, G63 AMG W465 Produced 2025-

G63 engine light fault w/ fan running w/ oil temp zero

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2021 | 11:22 PM

G63
G63 engine light fault w/ fan running w/ oil temp zero

Hi guys,

had this issue today morning while starting up the car, had drove out of the drive way and suddenly the car lost power with all dashboard lights coming up. Lucky no car was behind me while I restarted and thing seems to be fine.

However after driving to the local shop and started up again, the engine light is showing up while at the same time fan is running and engine oil temp is zero, of course eco start/stop is gone as well.

Been in contact with my dealer who advised they had another Mercedes with the same issue and found to be a software one, told me to get it towed back to the shop on Monday morning and prevent from driving as it might damage the fan since it’s always going.

just wanted to check with the forum to see if anyone had experience a similar fault? I was thinking all sort of possibilities including bloody rats bitting the wiring causing sensor faults, but checked the engine bay seems to be okay? Although there are sights of bloody rats!!!!

attached photo with the situation:

Old 07-03-2021 | 04:50 PM

G63
No one had or knows of a similar fault? I am not driving the G now until getting it towed back to the dealer to get checked.
Old 07-03-2021 | 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Well... the "good news" is that whatever happened that morning - did trigger a CEL (Check Engine Light) which means one (or more) codes have been stored on your G for reference.

I don't understand what you are Expecting-To-Hear - CEL codes "can be" generic meaning any "Average" OBD Scanner can read them (and ANY "shop" has a Generic Code Reader) - "some codes" that can be recorded are Mercedes Specific codes which need to be read with a MB Code Scanner.

Are you asking a Forum Psychic to "guess" ? Dude - have the Codes Read as the start of proper diagnosis...
Old 07-03-2021 | 07:03 PM

G63
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Well... the "good news" is that whatever happened that morning - did trigger a CEL (Check Engine Light) which means one (or more) codes have been stored on your G for reference.

I don't understand what you are Expecting-To-Hear - CEL codes "can be" generic meaning any "Average" OBD Scanner can read them (and ANY "shop" has a Generic Code Reader) - "some codes" that can be recorded are Mercedes Specific codes which need to be read with a MB Code Scanner.

Are you asking a Forum Psychic to "guess" ? Dude - have the Codes Read as the start of proper diagnosis...
Hey man thanks for the reply. I guess all I wanted to check is if anyone had experienced a similar issue? And how “bad” can it get, just a simple software issue or potentially the need to replace some parts as that will take ages for a G wagon.

Thanks!
Old 07-04-2021 | 08:47 PM

2019 G63 E1; 2017 G550 4x4^2; 2016 G63
I had it, it’s a software issue. Here’s my service report from when it was fixed if it’s of any use.

Old 07-04-2021 | 10:08 PM

G63
Originally Posted by ThreeGs
I had it, it’s a software issue. Here’s my service report from when it was fixed if it’s of any use.

Thanks a lot man! Yes this sounded very similar, and also my speakers sometimes rattles as well, lol. Same issues.

Old 07-06-2021 | 10:30 PM

2021 G550, BMW X5M, 2020 Toyota Supra LE
Yes, I have had similar issues. However, I think the temp reading and the vehicle shutting off are separate issues.

Mine basically reads that at every cold start, once re-started and warmed up, it typically reads correctly.

I have had the temp issues since I took delivery about 5 months and 6,000 miles ago.

In regards to the vehicle shutting off. That just happened to me for the first time about 2 weeks ago….

I love many hours from the dealership and have an appointment schedule for earlier September.
Old 07-06-2021 | 11:35 PM

G63
Originally Posted by 084runnerltd
Yes, I have had similar issues. However, I think the temp reading and the vehicle shutting off are separate issues.

Mine basically reads that at every cold start, once re-started and warmed up, it typically reads correctly.

I have had the temp issues since I took delivery about 5 months and 6,000 miles ago.

In regards to the vehicle shutting off. That just happened to me for the first time about 2 weeks ago….

I love many hours from the dealership and have an appointment schedule for earlier September.
Got a call from dealer it’s all sorted, had a temp sensor replaced, it sounded like you and I had the very similar issue. They didn’t mention about the shutting off though as I assume they will do a check on that too based on what I reported to Benz as fault. Let’s see how it runs after collecting the car tomorrow morning. One thing for sure is that the more technology/electrical we have on the car, the more like hood of something will go wrong. You can never brake a Corolla since it only has a engine with four wheels.
The following users liked this post:
084runnerltd (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021 | 12:04 AM

2021 G550, BMW X5M, 2020 Toyota Supra LE
Originally Posted by Michael Yang
Got a call from dealer it’s all sorted, had a temp sensor replaced, it sounded like you and I had the very similar issue. They didn’t mention about the shutting off though as I assume they will do a check on that too based on what I reported to Benz as fault. Let’s see how it runs after collecting the car tomorrow morning. One thing for sure is that the more technology/electrical we have on the car, the more like hood of something will go wrong. You can never brake a Corolla since it only has a engine with four wheels.
Glad you got it figured out. You mind sending me a copy of the paperwork so I can show my dealer. (They are very small and need all the help they can get)
Old 07-07-2021 | 12:30 AM

G63
Glad you got it figured out. You mind sending me a copy of the paperwork so I can show my dealer. (They are very small and need all the help they can get)
sure thing, will send it to you once I get it and hopefully will give you a little help.
084runnerltd (07-07-2021)
Old 07-13-2021 | 12:03 AM

G63
Hi, below section of the paperwork that describes the work, hopefully it helps.

084runnerltd (07-13-2021)