G Class (W465/W463A) W463 Produced 2019-2024: G550, G63 AMG W465 Produced 2025-

Dipsticks Don't Lie (But Sensors Do)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2021 | 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Dipsticks Don't Lie (But Sensors Do)

I completed an oil and filter change about a week ago, and when I drove the G550 for the first time thereafter, I dialed in the oil level check display a few miles down the road. It displayed 4 orange bars with a message at the top telling me to “Reduce Engine Oil Level”.

Yeah, right – I had drained the oil pan and filter canister until each was down to single drops. I replaced the filter with an OE Hengst and refilled the engine with exactly 10 quarts of MB approved 229.5 Castrol full synthetic 5W-30. I've been changing engine oil my entire life. I’m reasonably certain I didn’t drain the transmission and fill the engine.

The over-full indication persisted throughout a 40 mile round-trip. Today I drove the G again, and I checked the oil display immediately after backing out of the garage. Instead of telling me the oil information wasn’t available, it was still telling me to reduce the engine oil level.

I drove about 20 miles to my destination, parked and shut off the engine for about 20 minutes. When I returned and started the engine, I again checked the oil level. The 4 orange bars were gone, replaced with 3 green bars and the message “Oil Level OK” displayed. The "OK" condition remained intact through the 25 mile trip back home.

Has anyone else experienced this erroneous display following an oil change? Is the engineer who designed out a dipstick and replaced it with this defective sensor system now enrolled in the witness protection program?
Old 07-28-2021 | 03:19 AM

‘13 911-4S, ‘21 CTR, '22 GT4, ‘19 G63
After my last oil change a couple of weeks ago, I noticed it was down 3 ticks but still green. I wasn’t too happy as I wanted to see it perfect. Fast forward to this week, I checked it and I shows at perfect level. I will
check again to see if it changes. I had B scheduled service done by the dealership workshop.
Old 07-29-2021 | 02:32 PM

Current: 2020 G63, 2013 G550, Bentley Continental GT Speed
Amsoil claims the G550 only takes 9.5 quarts: https://www.amsoil.com/lookup/auto-a...6-980-b-turbo/

No idea if that information is correct or not (but it does convert to a nice even 9 liters...)
The following users liked this post:
084runnerltd (08-03-2021)
Old 07-29-2021 | 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by jghuman
Amsoil claims the G550 only takes 9.5 quarts: https://www.amsoil.com/lookup/auto-a...6-980-b-turbo/

No idea if that information is correct or not (but it does convert to a nice even 9 liters...)
The owner's manual specs 10 qts., and as I reported, the display finally did correct itself. The instrument panel is supposed to illuminate with a red oil-pot icon and text indicating over-fill, under-fill, low pressure (or faulty sensor) if any of these conditions develop. Since I did not see the oil-pot icon, I'm assuming it took 65 miles following a service indicator reset to gather sufficient data in order to finally provide an accurate oil level measurement.
As I understand matters, the oil level sensor is not a simply float sensor like the one used to measure fuel level. Several engine parameters are measured, correlated and combined in some secret algorithm in order to produce the magic oil level display.
I change my oil every 5K miles, and always check how much waste oil goes back into the jugs. After accounting for drain pan residue, oil filter saturation and a bit of oil rag mop-up, I expect no more than one quart deficiency in the jugs. As long as this holds true, and no red oil-pots pop-up on my instrument panel, I'll continue to ignore the meaningless oil level display.
Old 07-29-2021 | 08:36 PM

Current: 2020 G63, 2013 G550, Bentley Continental GT Speed
Originally Posted by streborx
The owner's manual specs 10 qts., and as I reported, the display finally did correct itself. The instrument panel is supposed to illuminate with a red oil-pot icon and text indicating over-fill, under-fill, low pressure (or faulty sensor) if any of these conditions develop. Since I did not see the oil-pot icon, I'm assuming it took 65 miles following a service indicator reset to gather sufficient data in order to finally provide an accurate oil level measurement.
As I understand matters, the oil level sensor is not a simply float sensor like the one used to measure fuel level. Several engine parameters are measured, correlated and combined in some secret algorithm in order to produce the magic oil level display.
I change my oil every 5K miles, and always check how much waste oil goes back into the jugs. After accounting for drain pan residue, oil filter saturation and a bit of oil rag mop-up, I expect no more than one quart deficiency in the jugs. As long as this holds true, and no red oil-pots pop-up on my instrument panel, I'll continue to ignore the meaningless oil level display.
Yeah seems like a very complex system, I guess most car owners cannot be bothered to check a dipstick. Sigh.

My 2013 G550 is a delight to change oil, filter is on top along with a dipstick where I normally suck the oil out.
Old 08-07-2021 | 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
I drove the G again today -- a brief 40-mile r/t, most of which was driven at 55-65 mph. For kicks, about 35 miles into the journey, I accessed the oil level display. Now it's showing orange and "reduce oil level" again, after having settled in at green "max" the last time I drove it. What a joke.