G Class (W465/W463A) W463 Produced 2019-2024: G550, G63 AMG W465 Produced 2025-

Does anybody tip their salesman?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2021 | 10:47 AM

G550
Does anybody tip their salesman?

So I have never bought a G class before. Last new purchase was an S class when cars were sold at a discount. I am getting a good deal on the G class and feel fortunate to even get one at all.

so my question is what is appropriate with regard to tip or no tip to the salesman, sales manager, finance guy, or nobody at all? Nobody went above and beyond. They just made it happen and as we all know these are hard to get. And by the way I am not paying a premium.

in general I am not the generous type. I view this as just another business transaction. Not clear that I will do business with these guys again. But then again I want to be reasonable.

if you suggest a gesture of gratitude please also give a recommendation… Booze, dollars, Starbucks card and what denomination. Thank you.
Old 08-31-2021 | 11:15 AM

GTC, C43 coupe, GLC 300
This was sad to read. I get the market with this car right now and the fact that it is not being produced in 2022, but sack up my man. Like you said, they did nothing extra other than getting you a car which you are paying a lot of money for. Yes you didn't pay a premium but this car still has a massive margin with its MSRP and your sales person is getting somewhere in the $8K range in terms of commission. That is all the tip he needs and you need to stop acting like a cu*k about it lol.
Old 08-31-2021 | 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
Originally Posted by 3.Pointed.Czar
This was sad to read. I get the market with this car right now and the fact that it is not being produced in 2022, but sack up my man. Like you said, they did nothing extra other than getting you a car which you are paying a lot of money for. Yes you didn't pay a premium but this car still has a massive margin with its MSRP and your sales person is getting somewhere in the $8K range in terms of commission. That is all the tip he needs and you need to stop acting like a cu*k about it lol.
$8000 commission, lol. There an average of $10,000 between invoice and MSRP. Way to comment on something you know nothing about.

To answer the OP's question if you feel the salesperson went above and beyond a nice bottle of booze is always appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
places (09-04-2021)
Old 08-31-2021 | 01:48 PM

2012 S350 Bluetec, 2014 GLK250 Bluetec, 2000 CLK320 Cabrio
Originally Posted by thomasjo
So I have never bought a G class before. Last new purchase was an S class when cars were sold at a discount. I am getting a good deal on the G class and feel fortunate to even get one at all.

so my question is what is appropriate with regard to tip or no tip to the salesman, sales manager, finance guy, or nobody at all? Nobody went above and beyond. They just made it happen and as we all know these are hard to get. And by the way I am not paying a premium.

in general I am not the generous type. I view this as just another business transaction. Not clear that I will do business with these guys again. But then again I want to be reasonable.

if you suggest a gesture of gratitude please also give a recommendation… Booze, dollars, Starbucks card and what denomination. Thank you.
Ignore the idiot that posted the first reply to you. Personally, I would say it's simply a matter of personal preference. If you think it's warranted, by all means do so.
places (09-04-2021)
Old 08-31-2021 | 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 G63
I wouldn’t do a tip like you would a delivery person but buying some lunch one day or a bottle of wine probably would be fine.
Old 08-31-2021 | 03:56 PM

G550
i have never tipped my sales person. however, i frequently bring starbucks, donuts, snacks to the service guys when i bring my car in for service... they've helped me out a lot over the years on previous vehicles with warranty claims, etc. and i plan to keep a good relationship with my service advisor.
Old 08-31-2021 | 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
My sales guy wouldn't even let me keep the $2 dealership ball point pen I used to sign the paperwork. He didn't deserve even my used Timex watch. The only follow up I've ever received from the dealership are offers to come spend more money on service and excess inventory close outs.
Old 08-31-2021 | 10:57 PM

Mercedes G63
It depends

Originally Posted by thomasjo

if you got the car at MSRP, or below ( I think impossible), he deserves a gift. Fancy chocolate box or a gift card might do. These cars are impossible to get theses days at MSRP.
Old 08-31-2021 | 11:27 PM

S580
I think leaving good reviews and telling everyone to use your salesperson is better than a tip.
The following 2 users liked this post by ColeBlooded:
CDHG63 (09-03-2021), places (09-04-2021)
Old 09-02-2021 | 11:00 PM

20 Lamborghini Urus, 2021 G63
A nice bottle of wine or bourbon and/or send referrals. I send my sales guys referrals all the time.
CDHG63 (09-03-2021)
Old 09-04-2021 | 01:53 AM

G-Class
Placed an order last year, got my G63 last week at sticker price. Did not even put a deposit down when placing the order. The general sales manager did not even try to charge me over. I took care of him with a very generous gift. Most dealerships would of otherwise charged me 30k over.
Old 09-04-2021 | 02:43 AM

G63
Umm...no....trust me whatever price they're charging, its more than worth their while.

Consider yourself lucky, or have a great relationship with your dealer where they've probably made a lot of money through you over the years

Whatever it is, a deal is a deal and you only should pay the agreed amount for the product. If anything they should be thanking you for your business
Old 09-04-2021 | 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by BenzCali
Placed an order last year, got my G63 last week at sticker price. Did not even put a deposit down when placing the order. The general sales manager did not even try to charge me over. I took care of him with a very generous gift. Most dealerships would of otherwise charged me 30k over.
Yours is an exceptional and unusual buying experience, compared with what others have posted on this forum. Consider yourself fortunate that the deal was completed, as without having placed a deposit on the order, it could be argued the sales order was not binding, either price or delivery. No one is going to question an $80 bottle of scotch, but if a "very generous gift" is on the order of 2 weeks all expenses paid in Maui for two plus r/t first class airfare, this raises tax reporting obligations for you and the sales guy. The IRS works OT making all our lives as complicated as possible, and I prefer living a simple existence and remaining off its radar.
harrish85 (09-04-2021)
Old 09-04-2021 | 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No more MB:(
Originally Posted by ColeBlooded
I think leaving good reviews and telling everyone to use your salesperson is better than a tip.
I think this is probably the best tip.
Old 09-04-2021 | 10:43 AM

G-Class
Originally Posted by streborx
Yours is an exceptional and unusual buying experience, compared with what others have posted on this forum. Consider yourself fortunate that the deal was completed, as without having placed a deposit on the order, it could be argued the sales order was not binding, either price or delivery. No one is going to question an $80 bottle of scotch, but if a "very generous gift" is on the order of 2 weeks all expenses paid in Maui for two plus r/t first class airfare, this raises tax reporting obligations for you and the sales guy. The IRS works OT making all our lives as complicated as possible, and I prefer living a simple existence and remaining off its radar.
lol definitely not that generous.

At the end of the day, it all really depends on your comfort level and what you think the person deserves. I have worked with many dealerships in Cali and most of them will lie and cheat at every corner. I never tipped anyone at a dealership because they really did not go above and beyond. For my G63, with the current market, they could of made 50K extra but chose to honor the deal. That is rare and people like that deserve something extra.
LapTimes (09-04-2021)