G Class (W465/W463A) W463 Produced 2019-2024: G550, G63 AMG W465 Produced 2025-

Help with oil light on dashbord

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2021 | 06:35 PM

2019 E300 and a 2018 AMG E63
Help with oil light on dashbord

It has being 3 days now since i changed the oil and had my 2019 E300 service but since then, this light has constantly being coming up i don't who what to do exactly neither do i know what the problems is. I contact the mechanic that does help me service my car from time to time he only told me that it is not a problem that, possibly, the car's computer is just bringing up random codes.

But i am still not okay with the answer please does anyone knows what these means or any way to fix it

Old 08-31-2021 | 10:15 PM

‘22 G63 ‘23 G63 4x4
Looks like you might have over filled your engine oil.
Old 09-01-2021 | 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
See my post at https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w...ensors-do.html for additional discussion on this topic, and allow me to vent additionally here.
IMO, "electronic dipsticks" are the dumbest automotive innovation since the automatic shoulder belt mechanism that moved in a track above the door window. This technical marvel was brought about by auto manufacturer marketing folks who decided most drivers are too stupid to know what a real dipstick is, where to find it and how to use it (much less finding the hood release lever to access it). These marketeers decided that drivers can't relate to anything electronic or mechanical unless there is a smartphone app or an equivalent entertaining and colorful graphic to bridge the knowledge divide, and so the "e-dipstick" was invented. This could have been implemented with an instrument panel indication that appears upon starting the vehicle that would display the oil level. However, the marketeers wanted to create the oil level indicator as an information feature that could be accessed while driving down the freeway at 75 mph. We all know that driving is a fairly boring activity, and drivers love buttons, knobs, dials and switches to futz with while trying to remain awake. So the oil level sensor was implemented as a system that requires scrolling through several screens to access, but only after the vehicle has been driven for 20 to 30 minutes and the engine has reached operating temperature, has achieved some minimum rpm level for some minimum period of time, and a certain speed has been achieved also for some minimum period time. Once these prerequisites have been satisfied, then the vehicle's oil level sensor estimates the amount of oil sloshing around in the sump, and the ECU approximates the amount of oil that might be in the oil filter, the oil pump, the engine, and all the connecting viaducts, and presents a pretty graphic for the driver to try to find. If anyone reading this believes I am being facetious, I refer you to U.S. Patent No. 5,831,154 "Process For Determining a Liquid Quantity, Particularly an Engine Oil Quantity in a Motor Vehicle", issued to Mercedes-Benz AG in 1998.
The oil level graphic you'll notice in the display once you locate it has 4 blocks stacked in a column to indicate oil level, and are green when the oil level is correct and orange when the sensor system determines the oil level is deficient or excessive. Each block corresponds to about 1/2 quart The absurdity of this measurement system is that it thinks with 10 quarts of oil in the system, it can accurately determine while the engine is operating at highway speed to within less than 1/2 quart (which is 5%) that the oil level is proper. If the system is capable of this degree of accuracy, then the system should display "add 0.372 liters" or "remove 0.184 liters". Instead, it says "reduce oil level". Anyone who has changed the oil on the G's engine knows that when the oil sump drain plug is removed, the 10 quarts of oil shoot out with enough force that screwing the plug back in is extremely difficult, and the entire sump gets emptied. Then you're left with some unknown amount of oil drained, some unknown amount of oil remaining and no solution except to do a full oil change. So "reducing the oil level" is a stupid advisory.
The G's owners manual specs 10 quarts of oil with a filter change. I recently did a 10K mile oil service, and drained oil out of the sump and filter canister until both were empty to the point of discrete drops dripping. I added EXACTLY 10 quarts of oil per the owners manual, yet I am receiving "reduce oil level" messages. Does oil now expand on its own? Or is there some residual oil trapped somewhere in the system that doesn't drain? Perhaps the OP did overfill, but more likely, the oil sensor system is exhibiting its usual inaccuracy, or possibly the sensor is defective. All of this is intended to convince every owner that an oil change is such an incredibly complicated service requiring the expertise that only a MB trained service tech is capable of, that we need to spend $250 at a dealership to have it done right.
Here's my take on it: With 10 quarts in the system and at least 2 quarts being circulated throughout the engine, filter, pump, etc., there's plenty of room for an extra half quart (which in all probability doesn't exist) to sit in the sump without fear of it blowing through the engine seals. If this oil level is so critical, MB should have designed the oil system like the cooling system with a overflow reservoir to trap excess rather than annoying us with worthless and misleading displays of improper oil level.