G Class (W465/W463A) W463 Produced 2019-2024: G550, G63 AMG W465 Produced 2025-

NHTSA Safety Recall #21V353 - Rear Door Latches

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2021 | 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
NHTSA Safety Recall #21V353 - Rear Door Latches

I received the official MBUSA safety recall notice yesterday, advising that parts are available and service can be scheduled. This will be my third 800 mile round-trip dealership visit (in less than 2 years of vehicle ownership) for an NHTSA safety recall, all at my time and expense.
Old 07-13-2021 | 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by streborx
I received the official MBUSA safety recall notice yesterday, advising that parts are available and service can be scheduled. This will be my third 800 mile round-trip dealership visit (in less than 2 years of vehicle ownership) for an NHTSA safety recall, all at my time and expense.

Aren’t there MB dealers in Colorado closer to you than 400 miles away?
Old 07-13-2021 | 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by JSwan724
Aren’t there MB dealers in Colorado closer to you than 400 miles away?
Denver is about 400 miles. There are dealers in Colorado Springs, Santa Fe, Flagstaff, Albuquerque, and several in Phoenix. I might try scheduling service at one of the closer dealers only 300 miles distant.
Old 07-13-2021 | 03:50 PM

2018 Porsche 911 GT3 2021 Mercedes G 63
Denver is about 400 miles. There are dealers in Colorado Springs, Santa Fe, Flagstaff, Albuquerque, and several in Phoenix. I might try scheduling service at one of the closer dealers only 300 miles distant.
I thought it was bad when I take my Porsche 250 miles round trip to the dealership.
Old 07-13-2021 | 04:18 PM
haa

Where in the world do you live? I literally have 4 dealers around me from all directions ranging from 10 to 40 miles away
Old 07-13-2021 | 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by haa
Where in the world do you live? I literally have 4 dealers around me from all directions ranging from 10 to 40 miles away
About 60 minutes SW of Telluride / 2 hours SE of Moab. Telluride folks fly dealer techs in on private jets to have their Bentleys serviced and give them weekend ski passes for their trouble (lol). No MB dealer anywhere close by, but plenty of Schoeckl+ experiences out my back door.
Old 07-13-2021 | 09:55 PM

2024 G 63
I'm sorry to hear this. Nothing is ever easy. It would be nice if MB would offer to transport your G back and forth at their expense...or even split the cost. I know. I'm dreaming.

I'm getting too old for crap like this. I'd talk to the dealer about picking up the transport fees back and forth. But, I'd pay those costs myself, if necessary, rather than drive back and forth. I'm guessing around $1,000 round trip?
Old 07-13-2021 | 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by sweet63
I'm sorry to hear this. Nothing is ever easy. It would be nice if MB would offer to transport your G back and forth at their expense...or even split the cost. I know. I'm dreaming.

I'm getting too old for crap like this. I'd talk to the dealer about picking up the transport fees back and forth. But, I'd pay those costs myself, if necessary, rather than drive back and forth. I'm guessing around $1,000 round trip?
I've had 1 recall in 4 years on my Lexus LX. Lexus offered to flatbed it r/t to a dealer or to compensate me for mileage and expenses. MB recalls have been nothing but $$$ flying out of my wallet to fix its f-ups. Like many others, my experiences with MBUSA have been time wasted, yielding no satisfaction much less even the courtesy of a form letter reply with my name misspelled.
Old 07-13-2021 | 10:47 PM

2024 G 63
I can understand the inconvenience of one recall, but not three. Your dealer should have handled this differently. I guarantee that my dealership would have handled things the same way as your dealer. Maddening. And, if you were to contact MB and complain, they'd probably give your dealer some kind of an award :-J

I was in business for 20 years. I would have never treated any client like this. I would have been embarrassed to treat clients like this. Why do so many dealerships pay so little attention to their customers? Shameful.

Hopefully, this will be the last recall, and you'll be able to enjoy your G wagon again Hang in there!

I've had 1 recall in 4 years on my Lexus LX. Lexus offered to flatbed it r/t to a dealer or to compensate me for mileage and expenses. MB recalls have been nothing but $$$ flying out of my wallet to fix its f-ups. Like many others, my experiences with MBUSA have been time wasted, yielding no satisfaction much less even the courtesy of a form letter reply with my name misspelled.
Old 07-14-2021 | 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by sweet63
I can understand the inconvenience of one recall, but not three. Your dealer should have handled this differently. I guarantee that my dealership would have handled things the same way as your dealer. Maddening. And, if you were to contact MB and complain, they'd probably give your dealer some kind of an award :-J

I was in business for 20 years. I would have never treated any client like this. I would have been embarrassed to treat clients like this. Why do so many dealerships pay so little attention to their customers? Shameful.

Hopefully, this will be the last recall, and you'll be able to enjoy your G wagon again Hang in there!
I see I have the recall notice coming in today’s mail. My dealership is about ten minutes from my house. That’s one of the reasons I got rid of my Lexus.
Old 07-14-2021 | 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by Craig B
I see I have the recall notice coming in today’s mail. My dealership is about ten minutes from my house. That’s one of the reasons I got rid of my Lexus.
If dealer proximity is my decision basis, my choices are John Deere and Kubota (lol). (BTW, I chose Kubota.)
The following users liked this post:
Ftedd (07-15-2021)
Old 07-14-2021 | 09:02 PM

If dealer proximity is my decision basis, my choices are John Deere and Kubota (lol). (BTW, I chose Kubota.)
My last 2 Lexus vehicles were full of recalls because of faulty fuel pumps. They replaced the low pressure fuel pump improperly in my GX. I told them it wasn’t running properly after driving a rental car for 95 days. They said if something was really wrong, it would trip a check engine light. A week later it did. They sent me back to the dealership 120 miles away from my house leaking fuel. I entered into a class action lawsuit against Toyota/Lexus. I sold my LC 500 performance package because I couldn’t drive it for 2 months because of a fire hazard. They had another low pressure fuel pump recall after they replaced both high and low pressure fuel pumps.
Old 07-14-2021 | 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 G63
Got the letter. Says some dealers offer free mobile service--wouldn't that be great.

I've never had a Mercedes so will be interesting to see how the service experience is. The closest two are pretty much equal distance in opposite directions, and neither were the selling dealer.
Old 07-14-2021 | 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Hodog16
Got the letter. Says some dealers offer free mobile service--wouldn't that be great.

I've never had a Mercedes so will be interesting to see how the service experience is. The closest two are pretty much equal distance in opposite directions, and neither were the selling dealer.
My dealership didn’t think they had the parts in stock and are going to call me back tomorrow. I purchased it from them.
Old 07-14-2021 | 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 G63
Good to know. Previously when the recall was announced Mercedes was clear to say parts weren't available yet, but this recall letter makes it sound like the recall should be done yesterday.
Old 07-15-2021 | 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
I scheduled an appointment earlier this week for 4 weeks out, for my convenience and to give the dealer time to get the parts. Haven't received confirmation yet, but won't be surprised if it doesn't happen.
Old 07-15-2021 | 07:56 AM

mclaren 720s
I scheduled an appointment earlier this week for 4 weeks out, for my convenience and to give the dealer time to get the parts. Haven't received confirmation yet, but won't be surprised if it doesn't happen.
going to try and do it same time as brake replacement… dealer ordered new brakes that should be a fix for the squeaky G63 ones that i have…

anyone know how long it takes for fix recall?
Old 07-15-2021 | 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
The MB TSB isn't yet posted at NHTSA, but what information is revealed in the currently available documents, both rear door panels need to be pulled, and latch mechanism parts and actuators get replaced. I'm expecting at least 4 hours, so probably the entire day. My appt. Is at 9:00 am, and the job should be done by end of day, barring any screw-ups.
If the recall can't be done simultaneously with a brake job, so you might be looking at an overnight stay or two visits.

Last edited by streborx; 07-15-2021 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-15-2021 | 06:10 PM

I heard back from the dealership today, they have to order the parts and should have them next week. They can’t get me in until August 10th. I had a warning, active brake assist inoperable. I went into the store and started it up and the warning was gone. Not real pleased that they can’t get me in at the dealership where I purchased it for almost a month.
Old 07-15-2021 | 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
I heard back from the dealership today, they have to order the parts and should have them next week. They can’t get me in until August 10th. I had a warning, active brake assist inoperable. I went into the store and started it up and the warning was gone. Not real pleased that they can’t get me in at the dealership where I purchased it for almost a month.
A busy service department is great for the dealership's margin - not so much for owners. Maybe everbody's "A" Service light tripped on the same day (lol).
Old 07-15-2021 | 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 G63
I've gotten that active brake assist inoperative warning probably 5 times. Like you it always goes away when the car is restarted. Interestingly enough when it happens I cannot get the auto start/stop to stay off -- I'll click it off and it comes back on by itself. Next time it happens see if yours is the same.
Old 07-15-2021 | 09:24 PM

I've gotten that active brake assist inoperative warning probably 5 times. Like you it always goes away when the car is restarted. Interestingly enough when it happens I cannot get the auto start/stop to stay off -- I'll click it off and it comes back on by itself. Next time it happens see if yours is the same.
Thanks, I’ll let you know.
Old 07-16-2021 | 04:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Regarding your auto start/stop "click it off", are you using the button next to the engine start/stop (that has the "A" on it)? This button never worked on my 2019 G550, but shifting into sport mode would disable it. I disconnected the battery sensor a year ago to permanently disable it -- it's no longer an annoyance and I haven't noticed any change in fuel consumption. IMO, it's one of the dumbest features ever dreamed up by car designers (an EV that catches fire while charging in your garage is probably dumber).
Old 07-16-2021 | 05:29 AM

G550
Regarding your auto start/stop "click it off", are you using the button next to the engine start/stop (that has the "A" on it)? This button never worked on my 2019 G550, but shifting into sport mode would disable it. I disconnected the battery sensor a year ago to permanently disable it -- it's no longer an annoyance and I haven't noticed any change in fuel consumption. IMO, it's one of the dumbest features ever dreamed up by car designers (an EV that catches fire while charging in your garage is probably dumber).
Where is the battery sensor to disable this "feature?"
Old 07-16-2021 | 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by Deezwho
Where is the battery sensor to disable this "feature?"
We're diverging way off topic from the OP, so I refer you to an earlier forum posting (https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w...-critical.html). See my comment therein dated 10-31-2020 that references a posting on the c-class forum about how this ECO on/off can be permanently disabled. Alternately, if you want to retain this feature but make its on/off state remain as last selected, Mid-City Engineering sells an OBD-II plug-in for about $150, whose efficacy other forum members can attest to.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NHTSA Safety Recall #21V353 - Rear Door Latches