G Class (W465/W463A) W463 Produced 2019-2024: G550, G63 AMG W465 Produced 2025-

21 G63 MSRP bait and switch?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2021 | 10:12 PM

G63
21 G63 MSRP bait and switch?

Hello, I had ordered a 2021 G63 2 years ago. Was promised verbally for MSRP and gave deposit and had a build sheet with price verbally agreed upon. I did not sign anything binding me at MSRP per se but that is what was agreed upon saying they are one of the few dealers who don’t upcharge . Vehicle is getting delivered soon after the 2 year wait and now dealer wants $50k over stating the market is entirely different now despite what was verbally promised previously. Very upsetting that there was no forewarning of this. I understand the market has high demand etc. but this is very upsetting at the 11th hour.

Anyone face this situation recently or know of this? Any advice on what to do here? Obviously I want the car but this definitely makes the whole experience distasteful.
Old 10-27-2021 | 12:28 AM

G550
Originally Posted by Eply458
Anyone face this situation recently or know of this? Any advice on what to do here? Obviously I want the car but this definitely makes the whole experience distasteful.
Just look at half the post on this forum over the past two months and you'll see the exact same scenario with the exact same questions. Bottom line, pony up or lose the truck. Good luck!
The following 3 users liked this post by tonygwagon:
Jagdpanzer (12-22-2021), OJ-G63 (11-25-2021), Surge (11-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021 | 05:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Hello, I had ordered a 2021 G63 2 years ago. Was promised verbally for MSRP and gave deposit and had a build sheet with price verbally agreed upon. I did not sign anything binding me at MSRP per se but that is what was agreed upon saying they are one of the few dealers who don’t upcharge . Vehicle is getting delivered soon after the 2 year wait and now dealer wants $50k over stating the market is entirely different now despite what was verbally promised previously. Very upsetting that there was no forewarning of this. I understand the market has high demand etc. but this is very upsetting at the 11th hour.

The 2 year wait should have clued you in to this dealer's tactics. It costs a dealer NOTHING to take your deposit, put your name on a list and provide you an allocation if the market for Gs goes belly-up (that is, he runs out of customers who are willing to pay $25K -$50K ADMs). There are buyers reporting on this forum that they're getting Gs in 3 months and paying $50K - $100K ADMs. This is how the market works - being promised MSRP with no paperwork or delivery commitment is meaningless. I would not expect any dealer to deliver allocations to buyers based on date of order. Someone walks in and agrees to pay $50K over MSRP will be put at the top of the list. Pay the $50K or get your deposit back.
Old 10-27-2021 | 09:17 AM

G63s and a few others
This is very common but unfortunately there is nothing you can do. Most dealers are crooks and won’t honor the commitment. If you want it, you’ll have to pay the ADM.
Old 10-27-2021 | 09:24 AM

G63
Originally Posted by streborx
The 2 year wait should have clued you in to this dealer's tactics. It costs a dealer NOTHING to take your deposit, put your name on a list and provide you an allocation if the market for Gs goes belly-up (that is, he runs out of customers who are willing to pay $25K -$50K ADMs). There are buyers reporting on this forum that they're getting Gs in 3 months and paying $50K - $100K ADMs. This is how the market works - being promised MSRP with no paperwork or delivery commitment is meaningless. I would not expect any dealer to deliver allocations to buyers based on date of order. Someone walks in and agrees to pay $50K over MSRP will be put at the top of the list. Pay the $50K or get your deposit back.
That’s the thing though, I did sign paperwork and firmed up the spec prior to full order and production date. There isn’t any wording in the paperwork that the price is irreversible however.
Old 10-27-2021 | 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No more MB:(
That’s the thing though, I did sign paperwork and firmed up the spec prior to full order and production date. There isn’t any wording in the paperwork that the price is irreversible however.
Similar threads here, signed paperwork, gave deposit, was told one thing, etc.. Reality is the dealer can do anything they want. 50K over is actually not bad considering 100K is becoming quite common. Pay up or start looking at alternatives.
The following users liked this post:
OJ-G63 (11-25-2021)
Old 10-27-2021 | 11:28 AM

Pcars's, AM's, Merc's

Ordered our G63 8 months ago and took delivery 2-3 weeks ago now. Since we were new clients for this dealer, the ADM was 10k over MSRP. Everything was signed and in writing with a 1k deposit to lock in the spot on the list (was actually able to see the list of builds ahead of us waiting for allocations).

When our order went in to be built the MY2022 suspension was just announced so everything was very uncertain in my mind. But my dealer assured me we would still be getting our G63 but that it would be a MY2021. No mention of ADM change.

Delivery day came and I walked into the dealer sure I was about to get hit with an increased ADM due to the current market. Didn't happen. The dealer kept their word even though they had new and used G63's on the showroom floor for 50k+ over MSRP.

They easily could have screwed us but instead did the right thing and earned a customer for life. They never even hinted that they could have gotten more for the vehicle but we all knew that we were walking out with an insane deal. Very happy with them and also very sorry to hear about your experience.

As far as what to do... After owning the G63 for a few weeks, I would pay the 50k over. I know it sounds insane but it's truly an amazing vehicle that has exceeded all of my expectations (first-time G63 owner). I would focus on YOU right now, instead of focusing on the crappy dealer. Do YOU still want the car? If so, then please, by all means, pay the man and give them a one-fingered salute as you ride off into the sunset.

Last edited by phow; 10-27-2021 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-27-2021 | 12:07 PM

e92 ///M3
Originally Posted by phow
Ordered our G63 8 months ago and took delivery 2-3 weeks ago now. Since we were new clients for this dealer, the ADM was 10k over MSRP. Everything was signed and in writing with a 1k deposit to lock in the spot on the list (was actually able to see the list of builds ahead of us waiting for allocations).

When our order went in to be built the MY2022 suspension was just announced so everything was very uncertain in my mind. But my dealer assured me we would still be getting our G63 but that it would be a MY2021. No mention of ADM change.

Delivery day came and I walked into the dealer sure I was about to get hit with an increased ADM due to the current market. Didn't happen. The dealer kept their word even though they had new and used G63's on the showroom floor for 50k+ over MSRP.

They easily could have screwed us but instead did the right thing and earned a customer for life. They never even hinted that they could have gotten more for the vehicle but we all knew that we were walking out with an insane deal. Very happy with them and also very sorry to hear about your experience.

As far as what to do... After owning the G63 for a few weeks, I would pay the 50k over. I know it sounds insane but it's truly an amazing vehicle that has exceeded all of my expectations (first-time G63 owner). I would focus on YOU right now, instead of focusing on the crappy dealer. Do YOU still want the car? If so, then please, by all means, pay the man and give them a one-fingered salute as you ride off into the sunset.
paid ADM and earned a customer for life. My how times have changed.
Old 10-27-2021 | 12:19 PM

G63
Thanks for the responses. I think the only upsetting part is in the times when I was called in to adjust the spec due to MY21/22 changes etc the salesman told me how other dealers were doing crazy ADMs etc and how they were happy to have me
enjoy the truck at msrp etc etc blah blah.

Then finally when the vehicle is built, it feels crappy to be thrown for a loop and makes the buying experience that much worse. 2 years ago I very well could’ve paid the ADM and gotten a vehicle sooner from elsewhere (they weren’t doing ADMs at this dealer until now). I even asked if there was any change that an adjustment would be done and he assured me no. Of course now it’s “upper management” decision. Just feels like I could’ve been in this vehicle a lot sooner than I ended up deceptively awaiting. In fact, I passed up a brabus version of this exact vehicle back then which would’ve been only 15k more than what I may end up needing to pay now. C’est la vie
Old 10-27-2021 | 12:29 PM

Pcars's, AM's, Merc's
Originally Posted by Poofyo101
paid ADM and earned a customer for life. My how times have changed.
They earned a customer for life by not changing the agreed-upon deal when they easily could have increased the required ADM or fudged with other portions of the deal due to the increased market demand.

Way to take a statement completely out of context

Most would agree that a 10k ADM on a high-demand vehicle and being a new client for a dealer is really reasonable considering most charge and can get 50k-100k over.

Last edited by phow; 10-27-2021 at 01:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by phow:
greynlds (10-27-2021), Jagdpanzer (11-26-2021)
Old 10-27-2021 | 12:59 PM

Pcars's, AM's, Merc's
2 years ago I very well could’ve paid the ADM and gotten a vehicle sooner from elsewhere (they weren’t doing ADMs at this dealer until now).
^ This I can totally sympathize with. I agree that charging ADM now is super frustrating because you could have gotten the vehicle sooner if you would have just paid ADM upfront.

I guess the glass half full thinking is that at least you are getting the build that you specified. Unless of course, you ordered black/black or white/black...
Old 10-27-2021 | 05:13 PM

Volt
It sounds like they planned the scam from the beginning. I'd get my deposit back and tell them to take a long walk off a short pier and never do business with them again. 2 years of gaming you. Don't give them a dime. You deserve better and think of all the things you can do with $50k. Look at the new Jeep with the V8 or put an order in for the new C8 Z06.
Old 10-27-2021 | 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Surely there are some buyers who have placed orders with multiple dealers to hedge their position. Six orders at six dealerships is $6K in deposits -- chump change in the overall scheme of things. The first dealer to deliver without an outrageous ADM sells the vehicle.
I thought I was crazy paying $5K over MSRP two years ago for a G550.
Old 10-27-2021 | 06:42 PM

2022 Shark Blue GT3, 2024 Shelter Green Raptor R
Yea, if it isn't in writing you're kinda screwed.

I put in an order for my G in August 2020 and paid a slight ADM of 10k and mine was in writing signed by me and the dealer.

When I picked it up in May of 2021 that's what I paid because it was what was agreed on and signed on by both parties.

Now looking at these prices of G63s going for high 200s to low 300s is crazy, in hindsight 10k is nothing.
Old 10-27-2021 | 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 G63
Originally Posted by streborx
Surely there are some buyers who have placed orders with multiple dealers to hedge their position. Six orders at six dealerships is $6K in deposits -- chump change in the overall scheme of things. The first dealer to deliver without an outrageous ADM sells the vehicle.
I thought I was crazy paying $5K over MSRP two years ago for a G550.
Yes last year I had three deposits at dealers ($8,000 in total) all at MSRP and took the first one that came along.

I'm in line at three dealers again but thankfully they aren't asking for deposits yet since it'll be so long until allocations come back.
Old 11-25-2021 | 04:59 AM

2012 S350 Bluetec, 2014 GLK250 Bluetec, 2000 CLK320 Cabrio
Did I miss it, or was the dealer named here? I think that kind of publicity should happen when they do things like this.
Old 11-26-2021 | 01:04 PM

Mercedes G63
Originally Posted by hard top
It sounds like they planned the scam from the beginning. I'd get my deposit back and tell them to take a long walk off a short pier and never do business with them again. 2 years of gaming you. Don't give them a dime. You deserve better and think of all the things you can do with $50k. Look at the new Jeep with the V8 or put an order in for the new C8 Z06.
I did a trade and am paying msrp plus the 299 doc fee for my G63. It's built and waiting on a ship. My dealer is sticking to their word thankfully. But that was my thought, the 392 Jeep or the Z06. I am on a list for a C8 Z08 and was told its probably 2 years out. I figure I will drive this for a couple years or more. If I come up on the Z06 list then maybe I will trade or sell the G, and if I like this well I will hang on to it. Being the last V8 twin turbo, I am sure it will hold its own in desirability. Given we don't end up like Mad Max looking for a drop of gasoline to run it lol

Last edited by Jagdpanzer; 11-26-2021 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-26-2021 | 02:46 PM

G63
I just got quoted +$125 for a 550. I hope that this ends soon. AND I offered them a great deal on my CLS, E53, and S.

Old 11-26-2021 | 04:40 PM

2018 Porsche 911 GT3 2021 Mercedes G 63
Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer
I did a trade and am paying msrp plus the 299 doc fee for my G63. It's built and waiting on a ship. My dealer is sticking to their word thankfully. But that was my thought, the 392 or the Z06. I am on a list for a C6 Z08 and was told its probably 2 years out. I figure I will drive this for a couple years or more. If I come up on the Z06 list then maybe I will trade or sell the G, and if I like this well I will hang on to it. Being the last V8 twin turbo, I am sure it will hold its own in desirability. Given we don't end up like Mad Max looking for a drop of gasoline to run it lol
i think you meant a C8, not C6? Dodge is going to discontinue the Hellcat after the 23 model year.
Jagdpanzer (11-26-2021)
Old 11-26-2021 | 04:44 PM

Mercedes G63
Originally Posted by Craig B
i think you meant a C8, not C6? Dodge is going to discontinue the Hellcat after the 23 model year.
LOL. Thanks, I was thinking of my old Vet when I messed up. (: The 392 Jeep was the one I meant. Should have been more specific. I actually traded in my Redeye for the G63. That car got a lot of compliments. Me, not so much!

Last edited by Jagdpanzer; 11-26-2021 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-26-2021 | 06:00 PM

2018 Porsche 911 GT3 2021 Mercedes G 63
Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer
LOL. Thanks, I was thinking of my old Vet when I messed up. (: The 392 Jeep was the what I meant. Should have been more specific. I actually traded in my Redeye for the G63. That car got a lot of compliments. Me, not so much!
LoL
Jagdpanzer (11-26-2021)
Old 11-26-2021 | 06:20 PM

Mercedes G63
Originally Posted by Craig B
LoL
I know I seem drunk, but I type terrible and have bad sentence structure. I am blaming my rat terrier. (:
Old 12-20-2021 | 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G350 Bluetec
1. Hodog16: If you can I would buy all of them and flip them at the current ADM. We did something like this with some recreational vehicles.....

2. I wonder how much my 2002 G maintained by the dealer and then my friend who is retired Master Mercedes tech, always garaged, B6 Bilsteins all around, with 169k miles is worth?

If it got totaled I would tell the insurance company to replace it.

Last edited by grane; 12-20-2021 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-20-2021 | 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 G63
Yes unfortunately I withdrew my other deposits when I got my vehicle. If I had stayed in line I would have gotten deliveries for December 2020 (which I took), February 2021, and probably sometime in the summer for the third.