G Class (W465/W463A) W463 Produced 2019-2024: G550, G63 AMG W465 Produced 2025-

Measuring engine oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2022 | 08:07 PM

2015 S65 Coupe
Measuring engine oil

Hi all when I try to measure engine oil it just says measuring and doesnt change from that screen - left it for quite a while and car was at op temperture - any ideas?
Old 12-05-2022 | 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Were you driving while that message displayed? Oil measurement is only possible while it's sloshing around in the sump and through the engine.
The following users liked this post:
Box (12-08-2022)
Old 12-07-2022 | 06:44 PM

19 Ferrari 488 Spyder, 19 911 Speedster, 19 Merc s63cab, 17 P Cayenne turbo, 16 Boxster Spyder,
What menu contains the oil level check?
Old 12-07-2022 | 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by jamie140
What menu contains the oil level check?
See owners manual page 339 or there-abouts.
Old 12-25-2022 | 05:12 PM

E53 amg
It has to be on a level surface
at 80c or above and sitting shut off for a few minutes
not running and sloshing around like previous guy who answered
Old 12-25-2022 | 05:13 PM

E53 amg
Originally Posted by streborx
Were you driving while that message displayed? Oil measurement is only possible while it's sloshing around in the sump and through the engine.
this is a wrong answer
Old 12-25-2022 | 05:32 PM

G63
Go into the service menu and look for vehicle data. You should be able to see how much oil down to the 0.1L is in your engine. Here's a be video showing how to get into the service menu.

Old 12-26-2022 | 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by ObsidianE53S
It has to be on a level surface
at 80c or above and sitting shut off for a few minutes
not running and sloshing around like previous guy who answered
Originally Posted by ObsidianE53S
this is a wrong answer
Page 339 in the owner's manual states:

The engine oil level is determined during driving.
Determining the engine oil level can take up to
30 minutes with a normal driving style and even
longer with an active driving style.
In order to receive a result as quickly as possible:
R Warm up the engine
R Park the vehicle on a level surface
R Leave the engine running at idling speed

I stated that oil measurement can be made only when the oil is sloshing around, and this includes after the engine is warmed up (depends on outside temperature) and running while parked, as the owner's manual instructs. If you shut off the engine, the measurement is not possible. MB and other manufacturers who have transitioned exclusively to electronic oil measurement (no dip stick) have developed sophisticated algorithms that determine how much oil is in the sump, the pump, the filter, the turbos, and elsewhere during operating conditions in order to provide oil measurement while the engine is running.

When I changed my oil the first time, I replaced what I drained with 10 quarts as specified in the owner's manual. Thereafter, about 20 minutes down the highway, the oil measurement display popped up to tell me I had excess oil and needed to drain some. I removed 1 pint (via the oil filter cap drain plug), and the measurement system was then happy. Apparently the correct fill measure is 9.5 quarts (10 liters). Perhaps there is a half quart that remains somewhere in the engine where it doesn't drain. So the oil capacity is 10 quarts, but the replacement fill is 9.5 quarts.

There is some benefit to having real-time oil measurement capability, but I wish the dip stick was still present. It seems odd to me that a dip stick inspection that takes only 2 minutes inside my garage now requires me to back my car outside into the driveway, run the engine for perhaps 10-15 minutes, and then scroll through the dashboard navigation screen to find the oil display. Alternately, I can divert my attention to finding the oil display, while driving down the highway when I should watching out for other drivers who are looking for their oil displays and not paying attention.

If anyone has discovered a method of determining the oil level while the vehicle is parked and shut off (warm or not), or if there is another section in the owner's manual that describes this, please post the procedure.
The following users liked this post:
DTofDUX (02-27-2023)
Old 04-08-2023 | 10:10 AM

2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
Unfortunately there are a lot of assumptions being made on this thread that may be true or totally garbage. Not in every shop is there yesterday's "burger flipper" doing the oil changes. I always had experienced folks in that area specializing in oil changes and quick services. They were well trained and were valuable as they identified real problems on the car we could bring to the owner's attention. This often saved the consumer money and time before the problem got worse and obviously helped the shop for the reason we were there...do repairs.

I have had several cars over a 40+ year career "blow an engine" because of not replacing the oil. Working in a shop is not like do-it-yourself in a garage and can be a busy and distracting environment. Stuff happens and that is why you buy insurance. In my experience of actually seeing this happen and paying for it, the car is going to run further than a 1/4 mile from the shop. They will run further than folks might think and it has been documented in several YouTube videos. But very customer is going to assume the worst...and the cheapest solution for themselves.

We really don't know the full story here. How old is the car, how many miles, and what condition. One of the most frequent arguments in a shop are repairs that show up after the original repair. I can't tell you how many times I have had a customer complaining their radio is not working now and was when they brought the car in to have a brake job! This is one reason the shop is going to want to tear the engine down before spending a fortune replacing an engine.

For the OP's sake I hope there is a satisfactory resolution to the problem. But, it is not always totally black and white.