G55 AMG (W463) Discuss the G55 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

safety features...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-31-2005, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL65
safety features...

hi,

i've got a few safety-related questions:

1. is it true that the 2005 G is the first with head/ shoulder airbags?

2. if it's true that xenon lighting is unavailable on the G, then is there a relatively easy way to add it, even if as auxiliary front-end lighting?

3. how does the G handle on highways?

i'm looking forward to your replies.

thanks!

david
Old 05-31-2005, 05:31 PM

the chassis from the g55 ist hard interpreted. in germany you can drive 220km/h easily.
in germany you can´t get xenon-lighting. but imho in the usa you can get it.
the headlights from the "golf 2" being suitable. this headlights you can also get with bi-xenon.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:48 PM

2005 SL65
germany-boy...

thank you.

a dealer gave me the USA brochure. having gone through it a few times, i believe xenons are unavailable as a manufacturer's option. although the VW golf lights may fit the G assembly, i would prefer to stick with factory options and thereby avoid potential warranty and dealer service problems.

220 kmh is roughly 135 mph, which is quite good enough for me. (have you personally driven that speed?) do you know if the truck tends to wander inside the lane at that speed, meaning, did it require far more steering adjustment than one might expect from a typical SUV?

again, looking forward to your reply.

david
Old 06-01-2005, 04:48 AM
Almost a Member!

G55K
i have driven on that speed on many occasions, and it really does not sway from side to side or require so much steering adjustments but only when its really windy it does and that only makes sence with regards to its very boxy look that is completely not aerodynamical.

Best Regards,
Rashed
Old 06-01-2005, 10:13 AM

2005 SL65
BinOmaira...

thanks for reassuring me about higher-speed handling.

yes, i'd presumed that the G's boxiness would make it far less slippery than my CLK. i'd been led to believe the G would require excessive steering input. so, your first-hand experience is very helpful.

if you have any other thoughts about how the G handles or performs, or particular quirks, then i'd appreciate it very much if you would share them.

thanks again,
david
Old 06-01-2005, 07:32 PM

david_101

yes, i´ve drive this speed with the g. it´s very easily. he don´t tends to wander inside the lane.

i´ve being surprised that the g ist (relative) dynamic in curves. the niveau is 5 centimeter deeper as the standart-g. he got harder spring and stabilizer.

sorry, my endlish is little.....

mfg andreas
Old 06-01-2005, 07:45 PM

2005 SL65
germany-boy...

your english is far better than my german. ;-)

many posts have been about the hard suspension, and how it should be changed to the G500 configuration. do you agree?

please tell me what warranty repairs you have had and expect to have done. (a dealer friend told me that the window motors often need to be adjusted.)

what sort of kilometers per liter have you noted?

thank you again,
david
Old 06-02-2005, 07:56 PM

I work in a mb-workshop, so i have changed the "KI" (kombiinstrument), in english: tachometer, there were a little scuff in the glass. the comand i´ve changed also, it was one time crashed.

the only realy defect: the paint coat from the parktronic-sensor was peeled off.
all this defects had mb payed. we have an 2-jear warranty.
a problem with the window motor is me not notify.

the g is the last car that will be produched in manual work, the quality is very good.

the hard suspension from the g55 is IMHO very good, because when you drive fast he is very stability.

the suspension from the g500 is softer, then you will get problems with fast kurves.

when you drive with the g easily you need 18liter/100km, but when drive fast then he needs 30 and more at 100km. one (1) liter cost circa 1,20€! the VAT is rampant!

at the moment had the g 1600km driven.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:57 PM

2005 SL65
germany-boy...

thank you for those informed observations.

i hope i'll be able to get a G55 in the near future.

all the best!
david