Sponsored by:

The Legend Lives On

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML55
The Legend Lives On

Mercedes-Benz G-Class: Legendary Off-Roader will remain part of the Mercedes product lineup

Stuttgart/Graz, Nov 11, 2005
DaimlerChrysler will continue to produce its "classic off-roader" in the coming years. On behalf of Mercedes-Benz, the company Magna Steyr has manufactured over 185,000 units of the legendary G-Class in Graz, Austria, since 1979. The car continues to be very popular among customers, and it has been part of the Mercedes product lineup for the past 26 years.

The Mercedes-Benz E-Class 4MATIC, which Magna Steyr in Graz has also been building since 1996, will be manufactured instead at the DaimlerChrysler plant in Sindelfingen from early 2007. "By continuing to produce the G-Class in Graz and manufacturing all E-Class variants at our main plant in Sindelfingen from 2007, we have found a viable solution for both partner," explains Dr. Dieter Zetsche, DaimlerChrysler Board of Management member and head of the Mercedes Car Group. "We are delighted that we can continue our successful and long-standing cooperation with Magna Steyr."

With its rugged technology and outstanding off-road capabilities, the G-Class has set standards from the very start. And it is equipped with the industry's most effective drive and driving safety systems, combining permanent all-wheel drive with the 4ETS electronic traction system and three differential locks that are activated when needed.

The vehicle's striking shape, which has remained nearly unchanged over a period of almost three decades, has made the "G" a design classic with cult status. Together with its legendary ruggedness, the off-roader's design has contributed most to its popularity. "Mercedes-Benz wrote automotive history by always ensuring that the G-Class remained state of-the-art over the past 26 years, and it will continue to offer its customers the very latest technology in the future," says Zetsche.

©1998-2005 DaimlerChrysler. All rights reserved.

http://www.benzworld.org/news/news.asp?id=300
Old 11-20-2005, 12:11 PM
ON PROBATION

Yeah, I read this here and somewhere else as well. My question is, will they continue to sell them in the same numbers in the same markets (I'm in the USA), and will they incorporate any updating into future models (like DVD NAV and Active Bi-Xenons)?
Old 11-21-2005, 01:12 AM

2013 G 63 AMG
Originally Posted by ClayJ
Yeah, I read this here and somewhere else as well. My question is, will they continue to sell them in the same numbers in the same markets (I'm in the USA), and will they incorporate any updating into future models (like DVD NAV and Active Bi-Xenons)?
I've read several places that some dealers in the US have been informed that the G-Class will continue to be imported to the US as long as it's produced. I spoke to someone at AMG who suggested that the 2007 G-Class would see some upgrades to match improvements made to other Mercedes models in the past two years. This updated G-Class will go on sale at about the same time as the US-built GL-Class. Both models will exist in parallel.

I think interior upgrades to the G-Class are more likely than exterior mods because of the costs involved. The G-Class is the last model still using the previous generation COMAND and the dash components from the C-Class, so those will need to be upgraded as availability of parts will reduce. On the exterior side, some changes might be necessary to satisfy EU pedestrian safety regulations. Upgraded engines are also very likely:

G320 CDI
G550 (5.4 V8 from new S-Class)
G63 AMG (6.3 V8)

-Jimmy
Old 11-22-2005, 12:27 AM
ON PROBATION

I don't think that they're gonna fit the 6.3 motor in the G55 -- I don't think that it will fit, and my understanding is that many if not most of the cars presently with the 5.5 S/C motor will retain that motor for some time to come(ala SL55, SLK55...G55?).
Old 11-22-2005, 11:49 AM

66 230S 111.010 02 G500 463
I don't think that they're gonna fit the 6.3 motor in the G55 -- I don't think that it will fit, and my understanding is that many if not most of the cars presently with the 5.5 S/C motor will retain that motor for some time to come(ala SL55, SLK55...G55?).
From a very high source at DC I asked him about the new AMG 63 when I was in Graz - he said ANY engine will fit in the G including the V12. Even without knowing this, the physical dimensions of the AMG 63 are smaller than the M113 V8. It is a very compact engine so it seems reasonable to me. The will be no significant changes/updates to the 2006, in 2007 I would expect new engines, DVD nav, and the MOST electronics. I'm curious if the 7 speed is going to be upgraded to handle the power in AMG cars and if it also would be fitted to the G.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:07 PM

CLK430
You've heard of the Brabus GV12 right?
Old 11-23-2005, 07:25 PM
ON PROBATION

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know.... I just HATE it when i post something stupid! Of course they can slap a V12 in there. I hope to hell that they do upgrade the electronics, nav, sound system, lighting and add rain-sensing wipers, etc.
But I still think that at least half of the current line-up with the 5.5 SC motor will keep it for the next few years -- at least in the US.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:39 PM

2013 G 63 AMG
I hope to hell that they do upgrade the electronics, nav, sound system, lighting and add rain-sensing wipers, etc.
My 2002 G500 had the COMAND navigation system, Teleaid, and rain-sensing wipers. My 2004 G55 also has a Harmon Kardon 10-speaker audio system with a subwoofer under the rear bench seat, TV Tuner with 2 AUX inputs, voice control, lumbar support and side bolster adjustments in the front seats, and plenty of other features found in other Mercedes models. The problem is that these are now one generation behind as most other Mercedes models received upgraded versions of these components in the 2005 model year. As we've been discussing, this will likely come in the 2007 model of the G-Class.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by jimmyg
...The problem is that these are now one generation behind as most other Mercedes models received upgraded versions of these components in the 2005 model year.
That's the G-Wagon for you, spartan as hell
Old 11-25-2005, 10:52 AM

2013 G 63 AMG
Originally Posted by sprins
That's the G-Wagon for you, spartan as hell
Yeah, sometimes I scare myself with how quickly i'm willing to write off technology which only a year ago was brand new.