Sponsored by:

So the Gwag was keyed...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 01:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
I'll say this, being from the Silicon Valley, you see some pretty disgusting things around here, not as bad as LA mind you, but close. The people with new money just love to play the game of "The Joneses Next Door".

I live in a comfortable neighborhood, one that is established mostly by doctors. However, since many have sold their homes, the neighborhood is seeing a higher percentage of entrepreneurs.

Here's a perfect example; the doctor who drives an Audi who lives next door, and the Subway restaurant owner who lives two doors down who drives a Mercedes S500.

Some people with a little bit of money just insist on showing off.

Coming from an established family, such as my own, we don't care about status symbols. An even more extreme example would be Warren Buffet, one of the wealthiest men in the country, you know what he drives, a Lincoln and a Ford. Sam Walton, Wal-Mart store owner drove a Ford Pickup Truck...

Put it this way, usually the more expensive the car, the poorer the person is. Most of the people who own Mercedes and BMW vehicles lease them not because they can write it off, not because they would like to change cars especially often, but simply because they can't afford to make a down payment.

Anyways, my two cents. Also, another fact, lottery winners often come quite close to broke in less than 20 years of having winning the lottery. New money is pathetic, especially those who earn it through useless and fruitless means. It is even more pathetic when it is expressed in visible poor tastes.

I'm a snob, I'll admit it. Not about money, but education and class. It's the only thing that seperates me and the inconsiderate bloke driving the Mercedes right next to me with his rap music blaring out of the car that can be heard across the intersection. We're the same age, possibly same race, possibly even live in the same neighborhood, but we likely have very different upbringing and associate with different social circles (at least I hope so).
Old 04-19-2006, 01:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Your example doesn't make sense.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by patrick_y
I'll say this, being from the Silicon Valley, you see some pretty disgusting things around here, not as bad as LA mind you, but close. The people with new money just love to play the game of "The Joneses Next Door".

I live in a comfortable neighborhood, one that is established mostly by doctors. However, since many have sold their homes, the neighborhood is seeing a higher percentage of entrepreneurs.

Here's a perfect example; the doctor who drives an Audi who lives next door, and the Subway restaurant owner who lives two doors down who drives a Mercedes S500.

Coming from an established family, such as my own, we don't care about status symbols. An even more extreme example would be Warren Buffet, one of the wealthiest men in the country, you know what he drives, a Lincoln and a Ford. Sam Walton, Wal-Mart store owner drove a Ford Pickup Truck...

Put it this way, usually the more expensive the car, the poorer the person is. Most of the people who own Mercedes and BMW vehicles lease them not because they can write it off, not because they would like to change cars especially often, but simply because they can't afford to make a down payment.

Anyways, my two cents. Also, another fact, lottery winners often come quite close to broke in less than 20 years of having winning the lottery. New money is pathetic, especially those who earn it through useless and fruitless means. It is even more pathetic when it is expressed in visible poor tastes.

I'm a snob, I'll admit it. Not about money, but education and class. It's the only thing that seperates me and the inconsiderate bloke driving the Mercedes right next to me with his rap music blaring out of the car that can be heard across the intersection. We're the same age, possibly same race, possibly even live in the same neighborhood, but we likely have very different upbringing and associate with different social circles (at least I hope so).
............you are going to end up with an ulcer. why it is very important for folks to look down on others as a means of making themselves feel superior is well studied............it is because an inferiority complex. There are 6 billion people on this earth and it is simply a fact of life that you are unlikey the most educated, the most richest and the most polished. You have no idea about people. One such uneducated bloke living next you with his rap music gave a kidney to a co-worker he doesn't know and in most peoples books, that makes the bloke a much more useful person to society...........yes even with his rap music. You simply have no idea about people. So best way is to simply live your own life the best way you can and let others do the same.

Ted
Old 04-19-2006, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metro Card : (
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
............you are going to end up with an ulcer. why it is very important for folks to look down on others as a means of making themselves feel superior is well studied............it is because an inferiority complex. There are 6 billion people on this earth and it is simply a fact of life that you are unlikey the most educated, the most richest and the most polished. You have no idea about people. One such uneducated bloke living next you with his rap music gave a kidney to a co-worker he doesn't know and in most peoples books, that makes the bloke a much more useful person to society...........yes even with his rap music. You simply have no idea about people. So best way is to simply live your own life the best way you can and let others do the same.

Ted
Old 04-19-2006, 10:44 AM

Metro Card : (

Seriously bro, get off your high horse.

While there may be some truth in what you preach (hell I agree to some degree with what you say), it is clearly not as black and white as you put it.

Perhaps some people enjoy "flaunting" their nice cars b/c they work their *** for it. We all do not have the "benefit" of coming from "an established family", as you do. give me a break. In addition, some people are car FANATICS (the reason most of are here). This is a hobby and more than just buying something flashy to get from A to B.

I bought my C (with MY money) because I loved the design, handling and look of the car. In addition, I am a car fanatic. I do enjoy listening to rap music in my c230, same as your car, yet I am graduating at the top of my class this year. Figure that one out.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart

I smell a Hater!
Old 04-20-2006, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
Originally Posted by JoujiAMG
lol,

im 17 and i just got my slk, but if it ever gets keyed i will react in the same way! However, I won't post an essay on the situation, but good on you !

girly car for a girly man
Old 04-21-2006, 08:54 PM

2. Don't be snobby. Do you think I'm snobby? If you do, you might be right. But I'm not snobby about money. I'm not even snobby about new/old money.
New money is pathetic, especially those who earn it through useless and fruitless means.

I'm a snob, I'll admit it.
contradicting your self a bit there?

Anyways, my two cents. Also, another fact, lottery winners often come quite close to broke in less than 20 years of having winning the lottery.
Where are you getting your information from? I'm not old enough to know, but how big was lotto 20 years ago? Are you just basing your "fact" on the people that won 15-20 years ago?

So anyone who isn't insanely rich and drives a nice car is just showing off? Do you really know the restaurant owner? Maybe he owns a couple subways, maybe he invested really well, or maybe he just really loves that car and is buying it to enjoy it and not to show it off.

It seems you pass judgement on people way too much. You need a reality check.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
380 SEL 1982
ALL old money was new money at some point

I know people with old money who I respect and old money I don't respect.
Same goes for people with new money. It is not when or how acquired, but what one does with their particular situation.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:35 PM

S 430
The only reasons he's mad that the truck got keyed is because his ego was hurt and that some little punks got away with it...you had it in the next day getting fixed...If you had to pay for it instead of daddy..then you would be pissed at having to do the repairs..until then you will never really will know how it feels to have your vehicle keyed and the hard earned money that you had to through out the window.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:43 PM

a few...
^ uh oh, we have Billy Bada** up here talking smack.

Sweet man, great for you. I couldn't care less what you think about me, it really doesn't make a difference because I will never see you and you will never matter in my life. Posting this up was sheerly for people who actually care and sympathize about what has happened. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:21 PM

A Beater
Consider yourself lucky that your car got keyed... You could of gotten your 18 years old *** killed by a thug trying to jack your car. A kid I knew back in HS got murdered when someone tried to car jack his SUPRA TT. Having a memorial service will definitely rack up A LOT of sympathy points for you..

Question: I assume people who owns G55 would buy full coverage on their vehicle. Why is it your daddy that is paying for the 3k+ bill not your insurance company??

Last edited by XPRO.US; 05-13-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:49 PM

A Beater

Consider yourself lucky that you are not the off spring of Warren Buffett. He is not giving a penny to his kids, instead he is going to be a model phlanthropist giving his wealth away when he passes.

Yes, so what if we work hard and wish to spend a little money on us? I bump loud rap music through my sound system. I've seen people living down hills from us giving me dirty looks. Booowhoooo... is it going to affect me as person? No. AM I comfortable with my self identity? Yes!

Last edited by XPRO.US; 05-13-2006 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by XPRO.US
Consider yourself lucky that you are not the off spring of Warren Buffett. He is not giving a penny to his kids, instead he is going to be a model phlanthropist giving his wealth away when he passes.

Yes, so what if we work hard and wish to spend a little money on us? I bump loud rap music through my sound system. I've seen people living down hills from us giving me dirty looks. Booowhoooo... is it going to affect me as person? No. AM I comfortable with my self identity? Yes!
Good for you. However, some may view that as inconsiderate. Especially during nighttime hours in quiet residential neighborhoods.

In the Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale Owner's Manual, they forbid the owner to drive the car in the "race" mode setting in the evening, because it makes the exhaust noisier. I can only say that I wished all people would be considerate of this.

It wouldn't matter to me if I were or were not the offspring of Warren Buffet. Although I may be a part of the "strawberry generation" by birth, I'm certainly not a member of such an inexclusive group by nature.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:29 PM

A Beater
People are going to give you the dirty looks regardless of your skin color or creed. Like you mentioned in your earlier post, a case of inferiority complex? To people that is the only logic explaination to settle their indifferences.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by XPRO.US
People are going to give you the dirty looks regardless of your skin color or creed. Like you mentioned in your earlier post, a case of inferiority complex? To people that is the only logic explaination to settle their indifferences.
Are you on the attack or on the defense. Seriously, you seem to be on one of the extremes when you really shouldn't be.

No need to get emotional.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:41 PM

a few...
XPRO, that was a pretty extreme situation. Yes, I completely agree with you that it would be horrible if that happened, and basically I wouldn't be typing all of this if it did... but what does that accomplish?

I am not trying to get personal, or stir you up again since you are prone to going on and on and on just to get your point across , nice M5 by the way, when did you actually pick it up? What color and options did you get? If you picked it up within the past month and it's an 07, did you get stick?

But... to throw out such an extreme example is basically nonsense. There once was a man who was walking out of his front door for work, and got shot right then and died. Or even better, the guy who was backing out of his driveway and got T-boned and died instantly...
Yes, these are horrific examples, but not a good percentage of what ACTUALLY happens. I mean, I will probably bite my tongue at some point in life, but I just find it hilarious how people always bring out the "Well...what if this happened" card.

You can argue that for EVERY SINGLE MOMENT OF YOUR DAY, anyone can die at any time. That's why we all still keep on livin"...

By the way: As for an update, the only thing MY FATHER actually had to pay out of his pocket for the incident... the time it took to take it there and get it fixed. Insurance did cover it. Anything else?

Last edited by merc655; 05-14-2006 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:12 PM

A Beater
No I am not being extreme nor is it directed toward you. If you read my response closely, yes I actually knew a kid who got his life taken away during a car jack. I understand your point of having respect for other people's property, but we live in an unpredicatable world even driving to work is a daily risk that is often overlooked. Let me play the devil's advocate. Perhaps you might of overlooked a few things that could of happened had you confront the kids who keyed your car. Perhaps it might be you in a moment of rage taken another life away over what? Car getting keyed? There are things in life just ain't worth your time to lose sleep over. Keyed car can get repainted, stolen vehicles can get recovered or replaced. I once had the attitude and mentality similar to that of you and your brother. I thought I share this with you because it really happened around me growing up. Just my .02 cent on life..

Have a great day.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:17 PM

A Beater
Are you on the attack or on the defense. Seriously, you seem to be on one of the extremes when you really shouldn't be.

No need to get emotional.

No offense my comment is directed at neither. Just hard for me to sit at the sideline spectating an individual trying to tell people how to live their life according to his own. My friend, live your own life to the fullest extent and don't worry about others.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:19 AM

a few...
I got everything in your response exactly as it was stated, I just made a point referring to your example given.

Have a nice day too.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:54 PM

A Beater
Aren't you stoked getting your car back fromt he shop? I get that feeling all the time when I pick up my car.