G55 AMG (W463) Discuss the G55 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G-class XXL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03' Merc G-500, 04' Merc S-600 AMG, 95' Merc E-320 Cab, 05' Jaguar Super V8, 00' Jaguar XK8
G-class XXL

I was looking through some pictures on German car fans, and came up with this. The Extra LWB G-class. Now, what suprises me is those (what I believe, by the color and the pattern) xenon headlamps. Were those ever available on the G-Class, can you even get them through Mercedes?
Old 01-30-2006, 09:06 PM

03' Merc G-500, 04' Merc S-600 AMG, 95' Merc E-320 Cab, 05' Jaguar Super V8, 00' Jaguar XK8
Old 01-30-2006, 09:35 PM
PCH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 G55, Challenge Stradale, 997.1 GT3, E63 Wagon
Xenon headlamps are not currently offered in the G class. However, a stop over at AMG takes care of that along with those police flashers or warning lights that look like driving lights with strange optics. Xenon headlights are expected to be offered in '07 along with redesigned interior and electronics. Hopefully they will offer a kit that can be fitted to earlier cars.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by AGR
Xenon headlamps are not currently offered in the G class. However, a stop over at AMG takes care of that along with those police flashers or warning lights that look like driving lights with strange optics. Xenon headlights are expected to be offered in '07 along with redesigned interior and electronics. Hopefully they will offer a kit that can be fitted to earlier cars.
I already am ready to buy the new (G-550?) But a kit now would be nice.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:51 PM
ON PROBATION

AMG Manufaktur will add Bi-Xenons to a G -- probably to any modern MBZ....

And I had heard that a Bi-Xenon option would be available for the 'facelifted' G -- but we will have to wait until they issue the Press Release or otherwise talk about the changes....

Of course, Brabu$ does a great bi-xenon conversion (pic attached) and so do at least two or three other outfits. If you do a thread search I am sure that you can find the threads and the people who do them. From my notes folder:

....Xenons are available on the G-class. They are an AMG Manufaktur option. The option code is HWA-463-820-000-59....

....I have bi-xenons in my car and the hi and low beams work. The bi-xenons were purchased from art tuning and installed by Donnie at MBS motors in Duluth, GA. Donnie formally worked for MBautowerks and is probably certified by the pope as a mercedes benz god. We initially had problems with the high beams, but he fixed it. So if you really want bi-xenons that are guranteed to work, import them from art tuning in germany and ship your car to Donnie in Duluth, GA....
Attached Thumbnails G-class XXL-bi-xenon-brabus-mod-g55-small-.jpg   G-class XXL-brabus-g55-bixenons_1-small-.jpg   G-class XXL-brabus-g55-bixenons_2-small-.jpg  
Old 01-31-2006, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by ClayJ
AMG Manufaktur will add Bi-Xenons to a G -- probably to any modern MBZ....

And I had heard that a Bi-Xenon option would be available for the 'facelifted' G -- but we will have to wait until they issue the Press Release or otherwise talk about the changes....

Of course, Brabu$ does a great bi-xenon conversion (pic attached) and so do at least two or three other outfits. If you do a thread search I am sure that you can find the threads and the people who do them. From my notes folder:

....Xenons are available on the G-class. They are an AMG Manufaktur option. The option code is HWA-463-820-000-59....

....I have bi-xenons in my car and the hi and low beams work. The bi-xenons were purchased from art tuning and installed by Donnie at MBS motors in Duluth, GA. Donnie formally worked for MBautowerks and is probably certified by the pope as a mercedes benz god. We initially had problems with the high beams, but he fixed it. So if you really want bi-xenons that are guranteed to work, import them from art tuning in germany and ship your car to Donnie in Duluth, GA....
Do you know off-hand how much the AMG-option would cost. The ART lights are nice, but i'm trying to keep it as stock looking as possible.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:04 PM
ON PROBATION

It's about $3500 USD, installed at the factory without VAT (no VAT if car is going overseas post-completion).

Problem is AMG Manufaktur will only do the work at AMG Manufaktur -- which means that if your car is here in the USA it is going to cost you over $2000 USD to ship your car to and from Germany.

If your car is here in the USA, and you can order the parts for installation here in the US, then you're probably looking at about $3000 USD or a little less for the parts, and another $500 - $1000 USD for installation -- my best guesses.

And yes, the AMG Manufaktur conversion is single headlamp unit, and the Brabus is two headlamp units (as pictured in my earlier post).

I don't know for sure about the ART option - but I think that it is single headlamp unit as well - so you may want to look into that. I do know that there is a guy or two in California, and one other somewhere else here in the States, who also do the single headlamp unit conversion. If I remember right, pricing on the work in total from those guys runs from $1500 to $2500 USD -- so you may want to look into this option further as well.

I do want you to post-up about what you find out - would really appreciate it....
Old 01-31-2006, 03:03 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 AMG G63, 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
It's about $3500 USD, installed at the factory without VAT (no VAT if car is going overseas post-completion).

Problem is AMG Manufaktur will only do the work at AMG Manufaktur -- which means that if your car is here in the USA it is going to cost you over $2000 USD to ship your car to and from Germany.

If your car is here in the USA, and you can order the parts for installation here in the US, then you're probably looking at about $3000 USD or a little less for the parts, and another $500 - $1000 USD for installation -- my best guesses.

And yes, the AMG Manufaktur conversion is single headlamp unit, and the Brabus is two headlamp units (as pictured in my earlier post).

I don't know for sure about the ART option - but I think that it is single headlamp unit as well - so you may want to look into that. I do know that there is a guy or two in California, and one other somewhere else here in the States, who also do the single headlamp unit conversion. If I remember right, pricing on the work in total from those guys runs from $1500 to $2500 USD -- so you may want to look into this option further as well.

I do want you to post-up about what you find out - would really appreciate it....
Clay, does the AMG conversion feature low and high beam xenons (bi-xenons), low beam xenons/high beam halogens, or just low beam xenons with no high beams at all?

Also, will AMG do the conversion for a US customer taking european delivery of a new G55 if the customer drives the vehicle over to Affalterbach prior to shipping to US? If so, it seems you could trick out a G with some of the cool AMG options not available in the states. I would love to have the 4place seating with center console and power rear seats...
Old 01-31-2006, 04:14 PM

Ouch. Those guys aren't cheap!

I really have no desire to ship my vehicle over there and back just for headlamps. I am quite knowledgeable in the engine bay (although by no means am I a mechanic!) and have been studying the headlamp assembly, so with some help from my buddy over at the MB dealer, I bet I could do it myself.

The ART kit appears to be set up the same way your G-class is, with the dual projectors. I'm looking for a kit like AMG makes.

But thanks for the help.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by Paganis Zonda
Do you know off-hand how much the AMG-option would cost. The ART lights are nice, but i'm trying to keep it as stock looking as possible.
..............it ia not very difficult to do what you plan to do. I believe the W463 uses H7 bulb in the headlight. What you need is H7 xenon retrofit kit which you can but from ebay. You needed to have your car xenon enabled via star program to avoid triggering dashboard warning. I looked into this before I decided to go with art tunning which in my opinion are much better looking but also much more complicated to instal since they are true bixenons. My car is the top one pictured with the bixenons as well as quad fog lights to match.

Ted
Old 01-31-2006, 08:37 PM
ON PROBATION

Thanks Ted - I was hoping that you'd chime-in.

I also hoped that you didn't mind my using a pic of your car....
Old 02-01-2006, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
..............it ia not very difficult to do what you plan to do. I believe the W463 uses H7 bulb in the headlight. What you need is H7 xenon retrofit kit which you can but from ebay. You needed to have your car xenon enabled via star program to avoid triggering dashboard warning. I looked into this before I decided to go with art tunning which in my opinion are much better looking but also much more complicated to instal since they are true bixenons. My car is the top one pictured with the bixenons as well as quad fog lights to match.

Ted
But, my limited xenon knowledge tells me that you need a special reflector designed for xenon lights, and not just a regular halogen reflector.

Who makes the converson kits? Hella, Bosch?
Old 02-01-2006, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by Paganis Zonda
But, my limited xenon knowledge tells me that you need a special reflector designed for xenon lights, and not just a regular halogen reflector.

Who makes the converson kits? Hella, Bosch?
.............my understanding is that you not have to change the reflectors. Multiple vendors sell xenon conversion kits. Below is the link to a company that sells them for mercedes vehicles. It turns out W463 uses H4 not H7 bulb, so you will need the H4 comversion kit. LINK

Ted
Old 02-01-2006, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
.............my understanding is that you not have to change the reflectors. Multiple vendors sell xenon conversion kits. Below is the link to a company that sells them for mercedes vehicles. It turns out W463 uses H4 not H7 bulb, so you will need the H4 comversion kit. LINK

Ted
Thanks.

I was looking on www.hella.com, and found these. Do you think you can give me your guys opinion on these?

thanks.

http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hell...n/R4KC-Xen.jsp
http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hell.../Model_550.jsp
Does that kit fit in the stock housing?
http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hell.../Model_500.jsp

This leaves me with three questions. Is this legal, Is it 100% reversable, and does it take the high beam away, and leave me only with a low beam? If it does, I might be able to buy a set of grill guard high beams.

I'm also looking for a set of grill guard lamps (similar to the ones in the picture above) Any ideas on those?

Last edited by Paganis Zonda; 02-01-2006 at 10:33 PM.