G55 AMG (W463) Discuss the G55 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12.74 @ 105.77mph!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 11:23 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
[QUOTE=Ted Baldwin;1836037]............Based on trapspeed and 1/4 mile times, the car is making arround 540WHP and 560WHP respectively. My car went through the dreaded MB ECU reflash and had to be reworked. I have not dynoed it since the rework but have gained almost 3mph in trapspeedand shed .26secs from the 1/4 mile time, making the above figures probably correct. What I liked about the runs was that I ran several 12.7's back to back. Previous dyno was prior to all the work and was 496WHP, and at the time trapspeed was 103mph with 1/4 mile time of 12.998

......... I use the break-torque method to launch and on one occassion I locked the differential. I don't know if the Cayenne has locking diffs. The NA G55 with Kleemann s/c is not in the same league as the 05 G55. As you may remember, I have had both.

..........your Cayenne sounds incredible. Congratulations!

Ted,

I agree, the '03 and '05 G55's are not in the same league. Your G55 is truely incredible.

The track here is closed for the winter but here are some videos of my Cayenne racing a 2004 Cayenne Turbo that's stock except for an exhaust. The stock Cayenne is the camera car and he's at WOT.

http://media.putfile.com/MOV04221-37
http://media.putfile.com/MOV04223
http://media.putfile.com/MOV04225-39
Old 11-14-2006, 05:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mymbonline
The track here is closed for the winter but here are some videos of my Cayenne racing a 2004 Cayenne Turbo that's stock except for an exhaust. The stock Cayenne is the camera car and he's at WOT.

http://media.putfile.com/MOV04221-37
http://media.putfile.com/MOV04223
http://media.putfile.com/MOV04225-39[/QUOTE]

you guys are ****in nuts (Ted & G55K)

congrats on some very very fast ****in suv's
Old 11-14-2006, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
............my car is definitely not faster than an E55K as a general matter. I stated that my car is faster than some stock E55K's. It is probably faster than most E55K's to the 330 mark because of the 4wheel drive. This is all in fun. A really fast SUV is the Dodge SRT8 with Hennessey Twin turbo that runs 12.2xxx. Because of the creation of of the category sports SUV's like the G55, ML63, the Dodge SRT8 and Cayenne turbo, you can no longer assume that the sports car you are driving won't be left behind by an SUV.

.........at the track I ran head to head against an SL55 in a friendly competition. He beat me to 1/4, I beat him to 330. He ran a 12.45 and I ran 12.76 in that run. There was an E63, CLS63, modified and stock E55's, an SLK55, CLK55 that I did not run directly against. I'll let them post their own times. It was a lot of fun.

.........The G55 absolutely blasts off from zero to 330 mark, but it takes it more than 2.2secs to go from 1/8 to the 1/4. This is the major point of weakness for the car. I am not sure that this can be improved due to the arerodynamics of the tank. But it is an area I will concentrate on for next racing season. The car is limited to 130mph, so by 100mph, the computer is shutting the car down. I can feel the car running out of gas by then. If This can be improved, I think this can easily be a 12.1-12.2 sec car.

Ted
Ted, my G had also K2 from Kleemann but the limiter was removed and on longer stretch of road I was able to repeatedly get it to 150-158 mph where it seemed to be drag limited.
Why is yours limited to 130?
Old 11-14-2006, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by absent
Ted, my G had also K2 from Kleemann but the limiter was removed and on longer stretch of road I was able to repeatedly get it to 150-158 mph where it seemed to be drag limited.
Why is yours limited to 130?
...........As you know unlike the sedans Mercedes SUV's are top speed limited at 130mph from the facory. Since my ECU flash fiasco, my ECU has been programmed and reprogrammed and re-reprogrammed a gazillion times. I have now gained 3mph in trapspeed and shed .27 secs from my previous pre-flash 1/4 mile time of 12.98 secs. So I am happy. I think through all this my speed limiter is back on, either deliberately by Mercedes or an oversight by Kleemann. I don't really mind since I seldom drive the G55 at that speed. What I don't know is if having the limiter affects acceleration from 100mph to 130mph. I think it does because, I would think that the computer will start shutting the car down as it nears 130mph, otherwise the car will accelerate past it. I maybe wrong.

Ted
Old 11-14-2006, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
...........As you know unlike the sedans Mercedes SUV's are top speed limited at 130mph from the facory. Since my ECU flash fiasco, my ECU has been programmed and reprogrammed and re-reprogrammed a gazillion times. I have now gained 3mph in trapspeed and shed .27 secs from my previous pre-flash 1/4 mile time of 12.98 secs. So I am happy. I think through all this my speed limiter is back on, either deliberately by Mercedes or an oversight by Kleemann. I don't really mind since I seldom drive the G55 at that speed. What I don't know is if having the limiter affects acceleration from 100mph to 130mph. I think it does because, I would think that the computer will start shutting the car down as it nears 130mph, otherwise the car will accelerate past it. I maybe wrong.

Ted
It would not affect the acceleration, limiter cuts the fuel very gently,right at the set limit.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by absent
It would not affect the acceleration, limiter cuts the fuel very gently,right at the set limit.
............understood. The numbers show that the car behaves quite differently above 100mph. Perhaps it is the relative difference when compared because the the sheer thrust when accelerating from zero. Perhaps one cannot totally defeat the laws of physics on such a tank at high speeds. On the G55, exceeding 130mph is not important for me, so I'll leave the ECU unaltered.

Ted
Old 12-13-2006, 02:16 AM

'05 G55, '06 Gallardo Spyder, '03 Murcielago, '12 GT-R, '07 Chevy
Ted, can you give me a rough idea of what the K4 costs and time required? Also, what's the ECU fiasco? I'm guessing it went in for service and came back minus the Kleeman programming? Did you have to pay to get that reflashed afterward?
Old 12-13-2006, 02:30 PM

E550 Cabriolet 2012 CLK 350 Lorinser LM6 19" (Retired)
.........This was my best time at the Atlanta meet this past weekend. I was posting the previous times as a build up to this. Just to put in perspective, this is faster than stock M5, E63, CLS63, stock C6 vette, all the mustangs, SLK55, CLK55, CLK63 and many stock W211 E55's. I think this tank ia capable of low 12's. I will post all the time slips this pm.

Ted
SICK Times.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by iampd2005
Ted, can you give me a rough idea of what the K4 costs and time required? Also, what's the ECU fiasco? I'm guessing it went in for service and came back minus the Kleeman programming? Did you have to pay to get that reflashed afterward?

...........unfortunately everything Kleemann costs quite a bit. Best way to get an idea is to go through a Kleemann dealer. I am not saying this to be evasive. The cost of the parts are uniform but the installation costs can vary widely. No, the ECU fiasco is not just a loss of the Kleemann programming. It involves placement of a load limit in the ECU preventing you from additional HP and torque gains. Unfortunately if your car has been stock, you may not know if you have the problem. Lets just say that this problem is worse than being raped by an angry ape. Paying to get the Kleemann program put back is not relevant since there is no charge. If you have this ECU problem, you will have such a problem on your hands that paying for a Kleemann ECU reflash will be nothing. You will wellcome it the way you would a super model to your bed.

Ted

Last edited by Ted Baldwin; 12-13-2006 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:15 PM

...........unfortunately everything Kleemann costs quite a bit. Best way to get an idea is to go through a Kleemann dealer. I am not saying this to be evasive. The cost of the parts are uniform but the installation costs can vary widely. No, the ECU fiasco is not just a loss of the Kleemann programming. It involves placement of a load limit in the ECU preventing you from additional HP and torque gains. Unfortunately if your car has been stock, you may not know if you have the problem. Lets just say that this problem is worse than being raped by an angry ape. Paying to get the Kleemann program put back is not relevant since there is no charge. If you have this ECU problem, you will have such a problem on your hands that paying for a Kleemann ECU reflash will be nothing. You will wellcome it the way you would a super model to your bed.

Ted
I'm trying to get in touch with Mercedes of Sarasota, they're the closest Kleeman dealer, just having some difficulty with that.

Will the ECU issue be resolved by the Kleeman installers when it goes in or is it something I have to look out for and get resolved should it occur? I'm guessing that going from stock to modded, my only way to know if Ive got the issue would be a dyno showing less HP/torque than what should be there based on what they install?
Old 12-14-2006, 12:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm trying to get in touch with Mercedes of Sarasota, they're the closest Kleeman dealer, just having some difficulty with that.

Will the ECU issue be resolved by the Kleeman installers when it goes in or is it something I have to look out for and get resolved should it occur? I'm guessing that going from stock to modded, my only way to know if Ive got the issue would be a dyno showing less HP/torque than what should be there based on what they install?
You should definitely do research before doing any mods. One of the best kleemann installers is C2 design and they are located in Tampa. www.c2dusa.com
Old 12-14-2006, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tuskir
You should definitely do research before doing any mods. One of the best kleemann installers is C2 design and they are located in Tampa. www.c2dusa.com
I tried to check them out but their website doesn't work at all in FireFox so I moved on to MB Sarasota. I'll take a second look though, thanks.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:13 PM

Ted, how do you launch your G? Do you rev it up with a foot on the brake? And do you just stomp and go or do you force it to shift at certain points with the +/-?
Old 12-14-2006, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Ted, how do you launch your G? Do you rev it up with a foot on the brake? And do you just stomp and go or do you force it to shift at certain points with the +/-?
...............I usually do the brake/torque method.

Ted
Old 12-21-2006, 09:37 PM
Banned

German
TED, maybe u can add some "spray" aka NOS and some smaller rims with slicks in the rear ? what's included in the kleeman stg4 for the g55k?