G55 Kompressor, thinking of buying one

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 10:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
08' ML550, ML 63, E55, and 2019 S63, 19’ Porsche 991 911 Speedster
G55 Kompressor, thinking of buying one

Hey guys,
found a G55 Kompressor, AMG, tell me whats the deal with these trucks? I've owned an ML550, for about 4 years, and ready to move on, the year of this truck is older than most, 2005, it does have 44k miles on it though, asking price is 60k, here in the midwest.

Problem with buying used, especially AMG, is the obvious, there is no Warranty, and don't know if you can get a warranty company to back this truck without paying out the ***. Secondly, is the other elephant in the room, this truck is fast, and easy to step on, if its beat, or what kind of problems there are with these 'kompressor' motors. Haven't heard to much about them, i.e., are they made by AMG, or what... (Info please).

Would buy new, but want to keep my 09 ML550, and acquire another SUV, this thing looks great, and I want another Merc.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CLS55 AMG, ML63 AMG, Cayenne S
Originally Posted by 2008ml550_0104
Hey guys,
found a G55 Kompressor, AMG, tell me whats the deal with these trucks? I've owned an ML550, for about 4 years, and ready to move on, the year of this truck is older than most, 2005, it does have 44k miles on it though, asking price is 60k, here in the midwest.

Problem with buying used, especially AMG, is the obvious, there is no Warranty, and don't know if you can get a warranty company to back this truck without paying out the ***. Secondly, is the other elephant in the room, this truck is fast, and easy to step on, if its beat, or what kind of problems there are with these 'kompressor' motors. Haven't heard to much about them, i.e., are they made by AMG, or what... (Info please).

Would buy new, but want to keep my 09 ML550, and acquire another SUV, this thing looks great, and I want another Merc.
M113 supercharged engine has been around forever, most problems come from upgrading the engine too much , mostly fueling issues and over heating. But the engine is ROCK SOLID, the AMG engine is hand built. Merck uses it in most AMG cars. I mean, the car would have had to be seriously mistreated to come with serious problems, and at 44k miles, it doesn't seem like it was a daily driver, check engine compression, SUSPENSION?, you have to triple check.

My 2cents, the G55 is too powerful for a family car, don't get me wrong, I LOVED IT!, but it can gain HIGH SPEEDS like a sports cars, but this is no cayenne GTS in handling or aerodynamics, your ML would feel like a Lotus next to it, G55's shape makes going super fast a very dangerous proposal, I'm gonna go with a G500 or G550, for peace of mind, I have two babies.

A G55/G500/G550 is a car that I can pass on to my sons, I can picture myself never going back to mild mannered SUV, it is hand built in Austria, the G is IT.

Last edited by Kelvin07; 05-11-2012 at 03:07 AM.