Sponsored by:

Smelly air con

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G55, 69 280SL, 67 Aston Martin DB6
Smelly air con

Just wondering if anyone has had this condition with their G's. When you start up the car, the aircon emits a brief sour stench- almost like dry sweat. It doesn't matter if the car had been parked indoors or out. The stench lasts for about a second or two. When the aircon fully kicks in, it goes away. I've had my G for about 2 months with 1600 miles on the clock. So it can't be the car and for that matter, me.

Thanks in advance for any constructive help.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:02 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 G500
Mine used to smell like gasoline...

Call John King at MB Manhattan, he'l take care of it.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:51 PM

CLK 430 Cab Designo
I have the samw problem on my 2002

I have reported to Fletcher Jones of Newport Beach, CA....but I end up with the same smell...it comes and goes. Did you ever end up getting it fixed on your G?
Old 09-15-2003, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G55, 69 280SL, 67 Aston Martin DB6
Haven't taken it in yet. Whilst the G is a super fun car to drive and all the rest, I must say the build quality leaves much to be desired! The Fan knob just fell off last week. The creeks gets louder and louder and a weird humming noise has developed from inside the dash.

HAve an appointment on October 6. Can't wait!
Old 09-15-2003, 06:21 PM

CLK 430 Cab Designo
Ya Know, it's the best MB I have driven so far...

I have a had a few other new MB's in the past, including, C-classes, 2 CLKs, and M and S classes, and so far, this has fared the best of the bunch. Keeping my fingers crossed though!!
Old 09-15-2003, 11:44 PM

2013 G 63 AMG
A friend had similar problem...turned out to be a large dead lizard. Of course, there are also several other technical problems that can cause an AC to produce a bad smell. Your dealer should be able to correct it.

The squeaking is from the rubber seals on your door. My 2004 G55 is only a week old and it started squeaking after it's first trip to the carwash. Luckily, this can be fixed easily though the fix only lasts for a few weeks. I've gotten used to lubricating the rubber seals on the doors every other month and that keeps the noise away.

A creaking sound from the dash is not a good sign. A friend has a G500 which had a very annoying creaking sound coming from the AC vents whenever the AC was on. This noise started after his dealer took the dash apart to install the Linguatronic and hands-free phone option. It turned out to be the automatic AC airflow louvers moving making the sound. It took multiple trips to the dealer to fix it.

Yes, the G-Class does have some problems...but they pale in comparison to what is happening with other MB cars. The AMG Kompressor engines are having serious problems, the Sensotronic brakes are downright dangerous when they malfunction, and there are host of other quality problems. Audi and BMW have had some serious quality issues recently as well (the new 7-series and the new A4 have lots of issues). It's a sad situation all around.