G55 AMG (W463) Discuss the G55 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G63 questions: first service, Distronic Plus, etc.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheels
G63 questions: first service, Distronic Plus, etc.

I could use a couple of answers if you guys don't mind.

1) When should the first service be? Sticker on the window says rear diff at 1875 miles, the service book says 2000 miles, and the dealer says nothing for the rear diff till 20,000 miles!! I am going to change the oil at this time too.

2) Distronic Plus is puzzling me with it's distance adjustment. When I'm cruising on the highway it seems to only let me set the distance between me and the car in front of me from 100-200 feet, though the scale shows 0-300 feet. How do I make other adjustments? It seems to be sort of speed sensitive but I don't understand it and the owner's manual is useless on this topic.

3) My wheels are the double spoke design but my spare is the standard single spoke design. I saw another G63 with the same issue. Is this normal?

4) How do I remove the factory brush guard?

5) How do I remove the factory interior wood trim pieces (on doors, console, etc.)?

Last edited by sinistersurge; 08-29-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:32 PM

2013 G 63 AMG
Originally Posted by sinistersurge

1) When should the first service be? Sticker on the window says rear diff at 1875 miles, the service book says 2000 miles, and the dealer says nothing for the rear diff till 20,000 miles!! I am going to change the oil at this time too.
Diff oil needs to be changed at 3,000km (1,875 miles). After that the typical service interval is approx 15,000km (10k miles) or greater. The flexible service indicator and your owners manual will provide more detail.

2) Distronic Plus is puzzling me with it's distance adjustment. When I'm cruising on the highway it seems to only let me set the distance between me and the car in front of me from 100-200 feet, though the scale shows 0-300 feet. How do I make other adjustments? It seems to be sort of speed sensitive but I don't understand it and the owner's manual is useless on this topic.
The Distronic control adjusts the number of seconds between you and the car in front...so the distance in feet is variable based on the speed you're driving at. It is not designed to operate at close distance at high speed. It maintains a safe driving distance which may not be what you are comfortable with.

3) My wheels are the double spoke design but my spare is the standard single spoke design. I saw another G63 with the same issue. Is this normal?
The AMG wheels don't fit in the spare carrier on the back. This has always been true and is normal. It's a spare wheel, not meant for permanent use and it's always been like this with the AMG variants.

It can be removed, but will leave holes in your front bumper. Your dealer can help you with this.

5) How do I remove the factory interior wood trim pieces (on doors, console, etc.)?
If you're not comfortable doing it, get a professional trim shop or your dealer to do it for you. You're vehicle is too new for there to be much info on the net about how to remove the trim from the redesigned interior.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:00 AM
Bux
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G
Originally Posted by jimmyg
It can be removed, but will leave holes in your front bumper. Your dealer can help you with this.

Maybe the euro parts can be ordered to fill in the holes??... since they can get it without the grill.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:09 AM

wheels
Originally Posted by Bux
Maybe the euro parts can be ordered to fill in the holes??... since they can get it without the grill.
Yes, I am working on finding a source for those chrome filler strips.

Jimmy - thanks for the answers!
Old 08-30-2012, 09:10 AM

wheels
Originally Posted by jimmyg
Diff oil needs to be changed at 3,000km (1,875 miles). After that the typical service interval is approx 15,000km (10k miles) or greater. The flexible service indicator and your owners manual will provide more detail.

The Distronic control adjusts the number of seconds between you and the car in front...so the distance in feet is variable based on the speed you're driving at. It is not designed to operate at close distance at high speed. It maintains a safe driving distance which may not be what you are comfortable with.

The AMG wheels don't fit in the spare carrier on the back. This has always been true and is normal. It's a spare wheel, not meant for permanent use and it's always been like this with the AMG variants.

If you're not comfortable doing it, get a professional trim shop or your dealer to do it for you. You're vehicle is too new for there to be much info on the net about how to remove the trim from the redesigned interior.

Do the trim pieces just snap in or do you know yet?
Old 08-30-2012, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
In general it's a lot of work to remove MB trim. If you don't know what you're doing have a trained professional remove it, and they can do it in a few hours. The G will be easier than my R because there's a lot fewer pieces but it often times involves removing more things than you'd think. MB trim often times requires removal from behind so that means removing the whole door panel or the whole center console compared to BMW where the trim can be removed from the front. Check out my build thread in my signature and you can get a vague idea of how the R Class trim is put together, and perhaps the G is similar.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:34 PM

wheels
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
In general it's a lot of work to remove MB trim. If you don't know what you're doing have a trained professional remove it, and they can do it in a few hours. The G will be easier than my R because there's a lot fewer pieces but it often times involves removing more things than you'd think. MB trim often times requires removal from behind so that means removing the whole door panel or the whole center console compared to BMW where the trim can be removed from the front. Check out my build thread in my signature and you can get a vague idea of how the R Class trim is put together, and perhaps the G is similar.
Thank you for the insight.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:17 AM

wheels
Had the car in for service this morning. Dealer has no idea how to remove interior trim & brush guard. They said the car is so new the computer knows nothing of it and wouldn't even let them put G63 in the system for service.

Any more ideas on removing the trim & brush guard?
Old 09-04-2012, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Seems like you should go to another dealer or wait a month or two before people start to learn more about the car.

I wouldn't worry too much about the brush guard at this point because I think a few people are interested in removing it. That information should surface soon I'd hope.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 g63, 2018 488 spider,2019g63, 2016 cayenne turbo s, 2015 458 speciale, 2010Ghost,2019 812
Originally Posted by sinistersurge

FYI, I brought my 63 in for the 1875 mile differential oil change and my dealer said that out of all the AMG vehicles the G63 does not need this service. There is no limited slip differential in the vehicle.