Sponsored by:

G63/G65 US pricing question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2012 | 11:07 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
G63/G65 US pricing question

So this is actually 2 questions, one for each car

Friend of mine has a Supercharged Range Rover on order, but due to a number of delays, shes considering canceling the order. We were talking and i mentioned that i like the G class. After looking at them online over the weekend she went to a dealer today who has a '13 G63 in stock. Sticker on it is 135, but they told her they want 148 for it because 'they can export it and get more' and spent the whole time trying to get her to buy a Bentley GTC. I know very little about pricing on these but it sounds like they are just trying to screw with her as she is a younger woman who went in alone.... What kinda pricing are people getting on new G63s these days? Any hints would help as shes going back tomorrow to try again and would be nice to have a figure to aim for.

2nd question, another acquaintance of mine who lives in Boston just told me today that hes trading in his '13 G550 for a G65 hes having brought in from the middle east. I want to call BS on him as i feel like the import fees and taxes and whatever would make this just psychotically pricey given the car usually is around 300k+ sticker. So does anyone know if its A) legally possible to import this car in the first place, and then B) what it would cost? He told me hes getting it about the 300k point which just seems like BS to me.....

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2012 | 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
1. Is that at an MB dealer? If it's at an MB dealer, they're not allowed to export brand new cars- their MB franchise can be pulled from them. And yes, they're trying to get her. No one should pay over sticker for a car like this (not a super rare or limited production run). If you look hard enough, you'll find it for sticker but don't expect much lower than that at this point in time. There's short supply and a strong demand.

2. In theory it is possible and I'm not sure about the exact costs with getting that done. In the end though, it's generally cost prohibitive unless you really like that car. The car alone already costs about $300k and all of the paperwork after that is unknown. But yes, it is legally possible- many people have imported the limited run 2005 CLK DTM AMG to the States and it was only available in other markets.
But for something like this, I'll just believe it when I see it.
Old 12-10-2012 | 11:42 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
1. Is that at an MB dealer? If it's at an MB dealer, they're not allowed to export brand new cars- their MB franchise can be pulled from them. And yes, they're trying to get her. No one should pay over sticker for a car like this (not a super rare or limited production run). If you look hard enough, you'll find it for sticker but don't expect much lower than that at this point in time. There's short supply and a strong demand.

2. In theory it is possible and I'm not sure about the exact costs with getting that done. In the end though, it's generally cost prohibitive unless you really like that car. The car alone already costs about $300k and all of the paperwork after that is unknown. But yes, it is legally possible- many people have imported the limited run 2005 CLK DTM AMG to the States and it was only available in other markets.
But for something like this, I'll just believe it when I see it.

Thanks for the info, the dealer she went to was Bentley Gold Coast in Chicago. Not a Benz dealer but they have a ton of nice ones in stock. Not expecting a major discount but them claiming over sticker seemed just like a flat out con to me.

and as for his 65....he can afford it (VERY easily....) but just thought that there may be some rules about importing cars which on top of the regular cost would make it almost impossible. Like you ill believe it when he shows it to me....
Old 12-11-2012 | 01:40 AM

2013 G63, 2015 S500, 2016 C63 coupe
1) Tell them why not import it if they are gonna get a better pricing anyways. Why is it sitting in their carpark?

2) I would assume with the right paperwork and money, anything is possible. Cash is king
Old 12-11-2012 | 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Thanks for the info, the dealer she went to was Bentley Gold Coast in Chicago. Not a Benz dealer but they have a ton of nice ones in stock. Not expecting a major discount but them claiming over sticker seemed just like a flat out con to me.

and as for his 65....he can afford it (VERY easily....) but just thought that there may be some rules about importing cars which on top of the regular cost would make it almost impossible. Like you ill believe it when he shows it to me....
So it's a preowned G63? At that point, I wouldn't even pay MSRP for it since it's already been titled. It's already a used car so it should not be commanding that kind of money. As BlackSL said- then go ahead and export it.

As for the 65, it's not the money, but rather the connections that you need to get the car titled in any state. Once you can get titled you're free to drive it here. And finding these connections can be quite difficult. So it's for that reason that I'll believe it when I see it, and not if the guy is loaded enough.
Old 12-11-2012 | 03:35 PM

'14.5 RR LWB, '14 s63, '14 Ford Raptor Screw, '13 G63
For your first question, I got $4K off my G63, purchased from a MB Dealer. I have seen used G63 listed for more than MSRP, ranging from a few thousand to as much as 10K. I guess a dealership can ask whatever it wants for a used car. From what I understand (i am no expert), MB restricts the G63 (may be true for all G's) to be exported within one year of the car being purchased. I had to sign a document when I bought mine to that effect and the penalty would be a fine. I know there is a huge export market for these vehicles, but again, I do believe it's one year, so I think the dealer is being somewhat shady.

As for the G65, (again I am not an expert), but from what I have been told, cars like the G65 and even older cars like the 2 door cabs or wagons, aren't allowed to be brought in because they have not been crash tested by the US government. Apparently x amount need to be crash tested to be deemed safe for US public roads. I spoke with someone once and a wealthy client of his wanted to import a brand new G cabriolet. What he ended up having to do was take the whole car apart abroad and ship the car here in pieces, and have it reassembled stateside. Even then, he had to pull multiple strings. The only way the DMV would give the car a registration was by listing it as a kit car, so it's not recognized as a MB of any kind. That process cost a ton of money and a very long time, I don't remember exactly, but i want to say years. So while it may be done in theory, I don't think the end result will be exactly what your friend wants.
Old 12-11-2012 | 03:46 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by oswiff
I know there is a huge export market for these vehicles, but again, I do believe it's one year, so I think the dealer is being somewhat shady.

cars like the G65 and even older cars like the 2 door cabs or wagons, aren't allowed to be brought in because they have not been crash tested by the US government.
This is what i was thinking the case was, if a dealer could easily make a ton more exporting it...why on earth is it still sitting on your lot and listed online? Why isnt it on a container ship heading to Dubai?

That too, i thought there was some legal barrier to bringing cars not made in the US here, while you CAN bring them, its not legal to drive them or something
Old 12-11-2012 | 04:15 PM

2002 G500
Originally Posted by xolinlevh

I would be very careful with Bentley Gold Coast. They had a very shady reputation before the Perillo's bought it and I think a lot of people from the old operation still work there. If you go on Ferrari Chat, in the Chicago section there is an extensive compilation of things that have happened to people under the previous owners.

Im not sure what the situation is with the new owners but Im not keen on dealing with them.

Just my two cents.
Old 12-11-2012 | 04:18 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by junc
I would be very careful with Bentley Gold Coast. They had a very shady reputation before the Perillo's bought it and I think a lot of people from the old operation still work there. If you go on Ferrari Chat, in the Chicago section there is an extensive compilation of things that have happened to people under the previous owners.

Im not sure what the situation is with the new owners but Im not keen on dealing with them.

Just my two cents.
Thanks for the warning! She lives locally and im in MN so ive never been there personally, but ill pass it on so shes fully informed before signing anything
Old 12-12-2012 | 10:53 AM

'20 s560; '15 targa4s; '24 cayenne
their advert shows 4912 miles on the odo.
Old 12-12-2012 | 10:55 AM

2011 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by ajm0623
their advert shows 4912 miles on the odo.
Yea i guess it was technically used, well she went back in last night anyway and signed the papers for a '13 Bentley V8 GT anyway. Hats off to the sales guy honestly, she walked in lookin for a G and walked out with a car that was 2x as much

PS went to my dealer last night and my jaw dropped, they have a black on designo black g63 in stock also! and a C63 and SL63 ^_^