Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is the G still around?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why is the G still around?

Now we know the G-Class is one the coolest SUVs around, but that aside, it is inferior is almost every way to cars such as the M, GL, Cayenne, Range Rover, etc.

I'm not a G-hater by any means (I am cross-shopping it with the above cars at the moment), but I can't help but wonder why the car is still around.

I believe MB came close to discontinuing it, but decided against it. Obviously people still buy it, though the sales numbers aren't remotely close to the competitors. Does the car have some ridiculous profit margin for MB to still keep it around? It seems that the company invests some money is keeping it up to date with the new generation interior, and adds updated tech like Distronic, but on the other hand they don't add automatic windows since they don't want to mess with the door design to add pinch sensors. It's almost like they don't even know what to do with the car.

I'm just wondering whether anyone has any official or unofficial information as to why the G-Class is still on sale.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:43 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Charisma.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by Luxurious
Now we know the G-Class is one the coolest SUVs around, but that aside, it is inferior is almost every way to cars such as the M, GL, Cayenne, Range Rover, etc.

I'm not a G-hater by any means (I am cross-shopping it with the above cars at the moment), but I can't help but wonder why the car is still around.

I believe MB came close to discontinuing it, but decided against it. Obviously people still buy it, though the sales numbers aren't remotely close to the competitors. Does the car have some ridiculous profit margin for MB to still keep it around? It seems that the company invests some money is keeping it up to date with the new generation interior, and adds updated tech like Distronic, but on the other hand they don't add automatic windows since they don't want to mess with the door design to add pinch sensors. It's almost like they don't even know what to do with the car.

I'm just wondering whether anyone has any official or unofficial information as to why the G-Class is still on sale.

....they wants to discontinue the car after the 2005 grand edition, which had a few extra badges and was supposed to be the last if the bunch. However a public petition drive caused mercedes to reverse course. There are very few items to has the degree of affection that g-wagon followers have for them. It's hard to explain and measure. It's like having a Latin girlfriend with fiery temper. When people hear her yelling at you, they won't understand why you love her so much. But deep down you both know!

Ted

Last edited by Ted Baldwin; 08-31-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:29 PM

It does make more sense if you consider the car to be an "exotic" rather than a "practical" competitor to other high-end SUVs.

What about safety however? As far as I know, the G-Class hasn't undergone any crash tests because of its low-volume. All the anecdotes I hear seem to be positive, but the plural of anecdote is not fact. It seems dubious to me that a G can be as safe as a brand-new Range Rover.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:12 PM

G300
it's safe if you crash into another car, they will serve as your crumple zone.
probably not so good if you crash into a concrete wall however
Old 09-04-2013, 11:17 AM

2013 G63, 2015 S500, 2016 C63 coupe
i believe i read it was one of the most profitable cars in mercs line up
Old 09-04-2013, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Why do people insist on calling the G a SUV ????
Far from the named SUV production builds...
More of a hand build in Austria.

It's a truck, developed for NATO and the Shah of Iran's military....
Can only be compared to the H1 and Defender.
Rugged, utilitarian, extreme off road...
Increase power, a more luxurious interior, added creature comforts, but it's still a 3 ton truck !!

They know exactly want to do with it as in "leave it alone"
More cult like then a mundane SUV.

And yes, they sell everyone that they make...

Last edited by RBYCC; 09-04-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Silver CLS550, Blk M45, Lexus GX470 & an endless fleet of Avis Premium Rental Cars
Originally Posted by RBYCC
Why do people insist on calling the G a SUV ????
Far from the named SUV production builds...
Lighten up francis! It's far from being a "truck" in my opinion, but here's an actual fact for ya --> It's been refereed to as an "SUV" in every AMG brochure that I've got my hands on, plus its classified just as that on the web site. Its an SUV by traditional standards. I’d be very swift to correct someone if they ever referred to my G as a damn truck!

official mb page:

Last edited by CakeDaddy; 09-11-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:04 PM

I can't help but feel like some MB exec is thinking, "I can't believe we're getting away with selling a 30-year-old car for six figures at a ridiculous profit margin and for some reason these people keep on placing orders!"
Old 09-11-2013, 09:36 PM

2013 G63
I have to say- i have owned porsches, range rovers, ferraris, cadillacs, bentleys- i absolutely love my current G63. It is built like a bank vault. It is totally unique. I put 23" black ADVs on it and i just got it back from Renntech with over 650 hp now- its an absolute hoot to drive. It goes faster than any 3 ton brick has any business going. I enjoy it just as much as my Ferrari California, albeit in different ways. I honestly love this SUV- im thinking of getting a bumper sticker that says "my other car is a Prius".
Old 09-11-2013, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by CakeDaddy

Lighten up francis! It's far from being a "truck" in my opinion, but here's an actual fact for ya --> It's been refereed to as an "SUV" in every AMG brochure that I've got my hands on, plus its classified just as that on the web site. Its an SUV by traditional standards. I’d be very swift to correct someone if they ever referred to my G as a damn truck!
Let the marketing mavens call it what they want to assuage those as you that don't realize they are buying a truck....a label more appealing to the effete type of individual.
So what came first the vehicle or the SUV moniker ?????
The "terrain wagon" proceeded the commonly used SUV term by about fifteen years.......

"Mercedes-Benz’s brochure for the 2012 G550 describes the truck as “crafted by hand, untouched by time.” Untouched by time, indeed: The G’s styling has changed little since it was introduced as a spartan military vehicle some 33 years ago."

Guess what..you bought a truck and didn't even know it !!!!

Last edited by RBYCC; 09-11-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:05 PM

Silver CLS550, Blk M45, Lexus GX470 & an endless fleet of Avis Premium Rental Cars
Guess what..you bought a truck and didn't even know it !!!!

Took a ride with the wife today in her CLS to the MB dealer for service and the MB service guy today just frowned when I referred(sp) to the G as a truck

I said, "this was only a test...only a test" He smiled and asked, "who told you it was a damn truck" I smiled and

Last edited by CakeDaddy; 09-14-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Took a ride with the wife today in her CLS to the MB dealer for service and the MB service guy today just frowned when I referred(sp) to the G as a truck

I said, "this was only a test...only a test" He smiled and asked, "who told you it was a damn truck" I smiled and
I guess it wasn't called anything prior to the common usage of the term "SUV" in the early nineties.
And the MB service guy probably wasn't around in 1979....

Moving on, do you know what your screen name "Cake Daddy" means ???
Perhaps you think it's something positive just like fooling yourself that a G was conceived as an SUV ?
Old 09-14-2013, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
What's not to love about the G class? It has character. Cayenne and Rover... now those are characters.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:39 PM

I guess it wasn't called anything prior to the common usage of the term "SUV" in the early nineties.
And the MB service guy probably wasn't around in 1979....

Moving on, do you know what your screen name "Cake Daddy" means ???
Perhaps you think it's something positive just like fooling yourself that a G was conceived as an SUV ?
Either way we can all agree that it's a great vehicle Just dont call it a jeep, right?

....as for my screen name I CANT BELIEVE YOU BROUGHT THAT UP! I was CAKEDADDY long before! I created that name out of the blue back in the mid 90's as a handle on gaming servers when I use to play, i.e. Quake3 Arena & Soldier of Fortune, etc.... and yes, I was advised by someone long ago to the "urban dictionary" aka the vernacular dumping ground and it's urban definition of it. I'm far past that definition, but that's funny

Last edited by CakeDaddy; 09-15-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:29 AM

2011 G55
Whenever I take my G in for servicing, I refer to it as my truck. It's the only "truck" that Mercedes sells (non-commercial) and separates my vehicle from the rest. Never gotten crap for calling it a truck at the dealership.

Full ladder frame suspension, two live axles, three locking differentials, two speed transfer case, it's a truck! And it rides like a truck! People who don't understand the first sentence in this paragraph are really buying the wrong vehicle. They should buying the ML, or GL instead.

Currently all of my vehicles, SUVs (so they have come be known) are 4 wheels drives, all with 2 speed transfer cases (low range) and all with locking differentials, no wannabes. The G is my sports car; But I can still see ahead in traffic. I rent exotics and muscle cars in Vegas, but I can't see driving one daily. Not being able to see ahead in traffic, handle rough roads or carry cargo would definitely not work for me.

I heard that 2020 is the last year for the G, but I hope they never stop making them.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
It's a truck...everyone over the age of 35 calls it a truck, I've always called it a truck.

I fU(K!ng love this truck.

10 times the charisma of any other 4WD on the market, ever. Only the H1 comes close.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:37 AM

2011 G55
Question should be: why not?

And it's a truck, not a SUV.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:34 PM

2011 G55
Originally Posted by Behike
Question should be: why not?

And it's a truck, not a SUV.
EXACTLY!

With Land Rover abandoning their live axles for the Range Rover and Toyota selling the 105 (front and rear live axle) Landcruisers overseas only, there's only the G wagen left if you want if you want a Luxury 4WD with a 2 live axle drivetrain and suspension. Mercedes has the lock on such a vehicle.

And they're a blast to drive. Just had mine serviced all fluids, induction and minor warranty work. I can barely keep the tires from spinning while passing and under hard acceleration. Keep in mind that this is a 6,000lb. 4 wheel drive vehicle. Thank you Mercedes Benz.

There are some cons. on the vehicle, but write about that later for those on the fence for one.

I love my truck!
Old 10-27-2013, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by ZorroAMG
...everyone over the age of 35 calls it a truck,
Absolutely FALSE! Im 37 yrs old ...so not everyone, but call it what you'd like

Last edited by CakeDaddy; 10-27-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Absolutely FALSE! Im 37 yrs old ...so not everyone, but call it what you'd like
You're obsessed with calling it an SUV.....

The label is no more then a marketing tool to stroke those that don't understand that it was built long before the term SUV was even established.

You're young and impressionable, most likely owning Mercs for status with no real knowledge of the marque.
True enthusiasts who know the history of vehicle, clearly understand that at the time of initial design / build the choices were "is it a car or truck."
And the G sure wasn't a car at the time of inception.

Would you call a Land Rover Defender a SUV?????
Same type of military vehicle as the G or the H1 Hummer.
Marketing types even label the Jeep CJ or Wrangler a small SUV.
It's all semantics in calling something whatever the under informed can relate to.

You're driving an anachronism
Old 10-27-2013, 08:44 PM

You're young and impressionable, most likely owning Mercs for status with no real knowledge of the marque.
We can debate all day, but as soon as you start taking personal shots….you lose! You know nothing about me buddy, nor do you know the reason why I drive what I drive, so for you to say that shows your true ignorance.

Now, when I say ignorance I mean "your lack of knowledge about me and the reason I choose to drive what I drive. Referring to me as young and easily influenced is an easy way to distract from our earlier conversation of SUV vs.” Truck" I'll tell you the same thing as I told ZoroAMG..."call it what you want"
You are welcome!!

I fixed this for you:

I am obsessed with calling it a TRUCK...

Last edited by CakeDaddy; 10-27-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:23 PM

2011 G55
Here's another twist...Haha! Us guys over 50 call it a "4 Wheel Drive" (must have low range). Just don't call it a Jeep or GP.

SUVs didn't exist way back when. I think the insurance companies came up with name/category so they could charge us more, saying it was more dangerous. (Yah, if you're in the other vehicle).
Old 10-30-2013, 09:02 AM

2013 G 63 AMG
If you want to visualize how well sales of the G-Class are doing, take a look at this entire train load of new G-wagons fresh from the factory:

Old 10-31-2013, 03:54 AM

2011 G55
Originally Posted by jimmyg
If you want to visualize how well sales of the G-Class are doing, take a look at this entire train load of new G-wagons fresh from the factory:

Mercedes G: 10 Millionen auf einem Zug - YouTube

Yah. You go Jimmy! Awesome video. I just wish I could read German. Pretty easy to understand nevertheless.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why is the G still around?