G55 AMG (W463) Discuss the G55 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G55 AMG Kompressor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
996tt, E55, X3 and a few others not worthy of mentioning here...
G55 AMG Kompressor

www.germancarfans.com had an article which made mention of a 'new' G55 AMG Kompressor. Does anyone know more?
Old 02-20-2004, 01:05 AM

2013 G 63 AMG
Yes, it is definitely coming this calendar year. I was told about it in August when I was shopping around for a G55, but the price point that was mentioned was outside my budget and I didn't want to wait that long.

I will remain essentially unchanged except for the increased power and associated modifications. There is also talk of a Jubilee model of the G500 to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the G-Class, though the details of that are unknown.

Expect performance and specs to be on par or slightly better than the Porsche Cayenne Turbo, though of course it will be far behind when it comes to handling. It will also be more expensive than the current G55.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:31 AM

2013 G 63 AMG
price

I heard today that it will start at Euros 93,900. It also looks like the Jubilee Edition of the G500 will be a very limited model, with only 250 units being produced.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:42 AM

Cheers Jimmy. There are some pics posted on the C55 forum showing the G55 K.
Old 02-21-2004, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
........Got the info about 4 months ago that there will be a supercharged G55. The price was not clear. I wanted more info before I bought my G55. I found out that the body style will be same and the comand will be upgraded to the DVD comand. Other than the Comand and the fact that the engine will be supercharged, I understood that there will be not other significant differences. So I decided to get a the current G55 with a Kleemann. Problem I had is that I had a very difficult time getting info from anyone regarding the performance of the Kleemann G55K in order to cpompare it to the upcoming AMG V8K. Turns out the Kleeman version does 0-60 in 4.9 to 5.2 secs. It has about 550Hp and unlike other V8 AMG cars superchrged with Kleemann, there is no traction problem because of the full time $ wheel drive, so no HP is wasted in wheelspin etc. so I am happy with my choice. It will be interesting to see what the AMG supercharged G55 does as far as straightline performance. Apparently it will have the 473 or is it 493(?) HP as the W211 E55 which as you know is widely thought to be faster than the w210with a Kleemann. Will the close to 73Hp advantage of the Kleemann G55 win over the 473 HP of the AMG G55K? Personally, my Kleemann G55K is a bit scary to drive, I cannot even imagine the AMG V8K safely being any faster. We shall see.

Ted
Old 02-21-2004, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
.........as follow up, the Prsche Cayenne Turbo was tested by motor trend as 0-60 in 5.4 secs and quatermile in 13.79secs @ 102.5mph. Car and driver tested Kleeman G55K as 0-60 at 5.2 secs with quatermile in 14secs @99MPH. Looks like the Kleemann G55 K is faster from 0-60 and then levels off while Porsche then takes over. Also I have info from the owner of the G55K that he has done a 0-60 in 4.9 secs. If the AMG G55 V8K will perform like the Cayenne turbo, then Kleeman G55K might be faster because it will not suffer from the usual problem of Kleeman spercharged V8 cars which is too much Hp and no traction.

Ted
Old 02-21-2004, 05:54 PM

Cheers Ted. I was hoping for more upgrades to the Kompressor model ie bi-xenons, the new dash from the C55 etc. Still waiting to hear about this being launched in Canada.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:41 PM

Porsche Turbo Stage 4, Cayenne S ... gone C43, C32, ML55 & Ducati 999.
Originally posted by Ted Baldwin
.........as follow up, the Prsche Cayenne Turbo was tested by motor trend as 0-60 in 5.4 secs and quatermile in 13.79secs @ 102.5mph. Car and driver tested Kleeman G55K as 0-60 at 5.2 secs with quatermile in 14secs @99MPH. Looks like the Kleemann G55 K is faster from 0-60 and then levels off while Porsche then takes over. Also I have info from the owner of the G55K that he has done a 0-60 in 4.9 secs. If the AMG G55 V8K will perform like the Cayenne turbo, then Kleeman G55K might be faster because it will not suffer from the usual problem of Kleeman spercharged V8 cars which is too much Hp and no traction.

Ted

the problem is the Coeficient of Drag or Cx gap between the Porsche and the "G"...is HUGE......on the other hand, with the current ML you do not have that problem
Old 02-24-2004, 05:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
...........I understand that. But the Kleeman G55K still manages to do 0-60 in 4.9-5.2 secs. This is amazing for such a vehicle. These numbers are better than the Porsche Cayenne Turbo. Yes, Kleemann already supercharged an ML55 and that car already won the title of the worlds fasted SUV. I think it was two years ago.

Ted
Old 02-25-2004, 01:20 PM
Almost a Member!

G55 AMG
G55 Kompressor is definitely better than Kleeman

Its all about stock baby. Had I bought my G55 a year later I would have definitely waited for the Kompressor. Straight from the factory....beautiful!
Old 02-25-2004, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
G55 Kompressor is definitely better than Kleeman

..............you may be fighting a battle that doesn't really exist. The Kompressor G55 is not available and was not available when either you or me bought ours. I was aware that the Kompressor version was coming and rather than waiting, I made my analysis and made a decision that I am very pleased with. What I do with my cars is to modify them to my taste and never sell them. As a result no car that I own is exactly stock. Even if I waited for the Kompressor G55, it will not be stock in my hands........I would have wanted to modify it to over 500HP with rentech chip and pulley just like the W211 E55 owners are doing now. This not really a thread about whether or not the AMG Kompressor G55 is better or not better than the Kleemann Kompressor G55.

Ted
Old 02-27-2004, 01:05 PM
Almost a Member!

G55 AMG
Thanks for the heads-up on the thread topic Teddy

I wasnt aware of rules forbidding straying off the topic a bit. Truth of the matter is that AMG FRESH OFF THE BOAT FROM GERMANY IS STILL BETTER THAN KLEEMANN IN COLORADO TOUCHING THAT BAD BOY. Dont be bitter its not that big of a deal.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
..............I am not sure why you are trying to pick a quarrel. I said nothing about Kleemann being better than AMG. Never even entered my mind. Neither you nor I own either company and any such argument is kinda foolish. Anyway, this is best left alone before it deteriorates. Take care.

Ted
Old 03-02-2004, 07:26 AM

G55 with or without Kompressor

I ordered a custom 3-door G55 4 years ago directly from AMG and drove it for 20' km.

Since we have several cars in our garage ( incl. a new 575 Maranello ), I use the G for what it was meant for in its original design.
Even with the standart 350 HP, the car can be dangerous in corners due to its high center of gravity. A Kompressor really does not make alot of sense with this chassis and all you happy G55 owners should not worry about missing out on something.

If you want a faster car, buy a Gallardo or 575.

JMHO

cheers

ps. obviously I would choose as a new buyer the unreasonable G55K today, lol

some pics : http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_10...6ebRABfL4aBrZP

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_10...6ebRABfXjqHSyv

Last edited by Romanee_Conti; 03-03-2004 at 05:29 AM.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
But does the 575 have gobs of gobs of torque and a huge clearence?
Old 03-02-2004, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
.........I tend to agree with Romanee_Conti. I like my supercharged G55, but I never use much of the power because of the issues he outlined. I already said in my earlier comment that I do not see how this car can be SAFELY faster. This is regardless of whether or not one thinks the AMG kompressor or the Kleeman Kompressor variant will be faster than the other.

Ted
Old 03-25-2004, 11:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 ML500 w/Apperance pkg & '07 SL550 w/AMG pkg
I just thought if anyone was interested, we are now taking deposits on the G55K!!!!
Old 04-06-2004, 08:20 AM

re pics

cannot post pics here, so you find them at MBCanada (topic G55 SWB) : http://www.mbcanada.com/forum/index.php?showforum=9

cheers
Old 06-28-2004, 09:18 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Interesting article on the AMG G55k. It's hard to believe that they are putting that kind of power into a G-class that can be bought off of the show room floor. Pretty cool!

To give you an idea of the power that the Kleemann supercharger makes my G55, tested by Car and Driver, ran 0-60 in 4.9 seconds, qtr mile in 13.9seconds,(traction control completely disabled) vs the factory G55k's 5.6 seconds. I have to admit it would have been nice to buy an AMG version with a kompressor direct from Mercedes (with Kleemann exhaust, headers, ECU tune, and cams) but I wasn't willing to wait. However, I have no regrets as Kleemann did a great job, 25,000 miles and not one single problem. Next week my G goes back to Kleemann for upgraded cams and Kleemann headers. I'll post dyno charts when I have them.

Is a 500 -600 hp truck stupid and impractical? Yes, but it sure is fun.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
To give you an idea of the power that the Kleemann supercharger makes my G55, tested by Car and Driver, ran 0-60 in 4.9 seconds, qtr mile in 13.9seconds,(traction control completely disabled) vs the factory G55k's 5.6 seconds. I have to admit it would have been nice to buy an AMG version with a kompressor direct from Mercedes (with Kleemann exhaust, headers, ECU tune, and cams) but I wasn't willing to wait. However, I have no regrets as Kleemann did a great job, 25,000 miles and not one single problem. Next week my G goes back to Kleemann for upgraded cams and Kleemann headers. I'll post dyno charts when I have them.

..............Nice to finally gert a chance to talk to you. As you know I too have a Kleemann G55K with high flow cats. I have been interested in getting a further boost by using the boost kit provided by Kleemann. I am not sure how much more HP gain the boost kits provide and if there are any engine management issues. As far as I know, there are two Kleemann G55's in the USA and so getting more info has been difficult. Does your G55K have a boost kit or now, and if so, what are your thoughts and if not, why not?

Ted
Old 06-29-2004, 02:54 PM

Ted,
I do have the boost kit installed and it made a substantial difference. I'm at altitude, since I live in Colorado, so even with the boost kit I'm only making about the same level of boost as you're making at sea level. I'm not sure if Kleemann would recommend a boost kit on your G55 since you're at sea level, but I may be wrong. If Kleemann is comfortable cranking up your boost I would defenitely have it installed. I'm having headers and cams installed sometime in the next couple of weeks. I'll let you know how much additional power the truck makes after the install.

You've mentioned that it is difficult to use all of the power that your truck makes on the road because of the handling (truck like) characteristics of a G class. I agree with you. It's fun until you hit the twisties at which point it's a little scary if you're not careful. Every once in a while I'll take my truck to our local 1/4 mile track. It's a lot fun to see the look on people's faces when they get beat by a "tank." A couple of weeks ago I raced an NSX a beat him, the guy driving couldn't believe it.

I'm extremly impressed with Kleemann. I've gotten to know the guys well and have driven several of their cars at the 1/4 mile strip and on the road. Not only are they great guys but it's amazing what some of their vehicles are capable of. My father has an 2004 E55 which would get smoked by Kleemann's modified 2001 E55. I've gotten so hooked on the 1/4 mile strip because of these guys that I purchased a Mitsubishi Evolution just for racing (still street legal) that they are modifying for me during their spare time, which isn't very often. The Evo now puts down 550whp. These guys really know what they are doing.

I read all of the debate on this forum about who is better, Kleemann, Renntech, Brabus, Evosport, AMG, etc., and I think most people are missing the point. They are all excellent tuners and each one takes a unique approach. People talk about the dangers of supercharging as a means to bash Kleemann. I've owned over a dozen modified (supercharged) vehicles in my life going all the way back to a 1984 Ford Bronco with a Paxton supercharger. I've never once had a single problem with any of these vehicles that was a result of the supercharger. As long as the tuner is capable, supercharging is a safe and reliable means of making big horsepower. Kleemann is as good as they come in my opinion.

Have fun with your G.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:25 PM
YFV

Porsche 911 turbo, G55 AMG Kompressor
V8 Kompressor, supercharged, price wise.

Don't you find unbelievable that although the Kompressor is about to be launched you can get no information on it whatsoever on any MB website worldwide??
Anyways, it seems that the design remains exactly the same, interior or exterior. Apart from the Kompressor sign added on both sides of the car. (see pics).
I'm about to order in Paris, France a regular G55AMG with some coll extra options for a total cost of 115 000 Euros. With the same options, the price in Europe for the supercharged model will be around, with some cool extra options, about 135 000 Euros which I find nuts. Do you think that since the new G model (not looking very exciting) is about to come out, the then become former version (ours) will come down in price??

Yann.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
yy.bmp (487.8 KB, 766 views)
yyy.bmp (549.4 KB, 643 views)
yyyy.bmp (549.4 KB, 555 views)
Old 07-08-2004, 01:35 PM

It's hard to say how the current G will hold its value once the new model becomes available. Currently the resale of the G's, at least in the US, are horrible. Especially the G55. I've seen some spy pictures of the new G and it looks like a big ML. It doesn't have the look of rugedness that the current model has and looks like "just another SUV." I'm hoping that the release of the new G actually stabalizes our resale values since the classic look of the original is gone. It's a hard call.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
...............I think that the replacement for the G will be built on the same chasis as the new ML. My info is that it actually won't even be called a G. My opinion is tht the intriduction of the new vehicle will actually result in the ibcrease in resale value of the current G. Having said that, I never buy cars with any consideration for re-sale value.........you will only get your heart broken. Cars are to be enjoyed are not a form of investment.

Ted
Old 07-09-2004, 12:20 PM
YFV

Porsche 911 turbo, G55 AMG Kompressor
God I agree with that!! I'm not planning on reselling my G ever. It's a mercedes anyways, It'll probably survive me.

What is good though is to sell a car before it is delivered: I was #1 on the order list of the coming Aston Martin V8 and since I didn't find the DB9 (to which it looks like) very sexy, I just sold my order list position for 30 000 Euros. That was a good deal!! Now I'm getting a new Porsche Turbo S instead ( I used to hate Porsche before, what's happening to me) and the 30 000 Euros will almost cover the extra cost. I love the idea. Who said new cars were not an investment.