Sponsored by:

W463 G55 AMG small evap leak & check engine light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 09:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 w463 g55 amg with g63 face-lift
W463 G55 AMG small evap leak & check engine light

so i had that annoying CEL light up. I had code tested and it was P0506 or small evap leak. after changing the canister and some purge valve at a cost of about $300 the light still continued to come on after 50 miles. the technician then did another smoke test and could not find the problem. the boss then came in and held a mirror behind the gas tank filler neck. and it was obvious it was leaking. unfortunately that part (gas tank neck filler) is expensive. $800 from dealer but you can get for $560 on oemmbparts.com. then it was an hour and a half labor rate for installation. CEL has not come back on yet after 500 miles. If i had to do it over, i would just check the fuel tank filler neck to begin with instead of the "swap parts until you get it right mentality". hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
Tricky Rick (08-30-2023)
Old 04-07-2019, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 500SEL
Just got the same code. Thanks for heads up...

Originally Posted by Ben Stoller
so i had that annoying CEL light up. I had code tested and it was P0506 or small evap leak. after changing the canister and some purge valve at a cost of about $300 the light still continued to come on after 50 miles. the technician then did another smoke test and could not find the problem. the boss then came in and held a mirror behind the gas tank filler neck. and it was obvious it was leaking. unfortunately that part (gas tank neck filler) is expensive. $800 from dealer but you can get for $560 on oemmbparts.com. then it was an hour and a half labor rate for installation. CEL has not come back on yet after 500 miles. If i had to do it over, i would just check the fuel tank filler neck to begin with instead of the "swap parts until you get it right mentality". hope this helps.
Old 08-19-2023, 01:45 AM

W463
I've got a 2017 G63 with 58,745 miles. My dealership had my truck for THREE WEEKS!
Per the REPAIR ORDER: (charcoal canister shutoff valve stuck open, purge valve collateral damage.)
Replace charcoal canister shutoff valve and replace purge valve.

I picked up my vehicle this morning and drove 4 blocks before the damn check engine light came on again.

Now they claim there is a "FINE" leak in the EVAP system. I've never heard such a term. I was initially told it was a "SMALL" leak.
I am getting disgusted with this.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-28-2023, 05:55 PM

G63 amg
Minor evap leak

Originally Posted by Hiflyer767
I've got a 2017 G63 with 58,745 miles. My dealership had my truck for THREE WEEKS!
Per the REPAIR ORDER: (charcoal canister shutoff valve stuck open, purge valve collateral damage.)
Replace charcoal canister shutoff valve and replace purge valve.

I picked up my vehicle this morning and drove 4 blocks before the damn check engine light came on again.

Now they claim there is a "FINE" leak in the EVAP system. I've never heard such a term. I was initially told it was a "SMALL" leak.
I am getting disgusted with this.

Any suggestions?
I've been dealing with this issue 2014 g63 55k miles over a year. Have spent a few grand already at the dealer for it to come back on. Changed Purge, charcoal, filler neck and Now theyre saying it's a sensor at the fuel tank and may even need a new tank at an estimate of over 4k. Have tried numerous shops and dealers with no luck. Truck runs fine no issues at all except for that light which now can't pass inspection. Keep u posted on anything I come up with unless anyone else has suggestions