55AMG or 500 for 4x4??...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 09:42 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by schwarzwagen
You are kidding me right? The G is a multi-purpose military/civilian vehicle. There is way any of the cars you mentioned can hold a candle to the G-wagen offroad. Locking front/center/rear differentials vs. open diffs. C'mon, The G-wagen is all about offroad prowess and does not try to act like a wannabe sportscar on stilts. Whats ironic/funny is that the BMW and Porsche handle better onroad than your C32 stock for stock. :p
HAHAHAHA...the stuff you write is funny man. Guess you didn't read the DETAIL of the post. I don't think I'm gonna even quote it for you if you can't figure it out.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300SEL
Originally Posted by FrankW
HAHAHAHA...the stuff you write is funny man. Guess you didn't read the DETAIL of the post. I don't think I'm gonna even quote it for you if you can't figure it out.
oh, so u speak in tongues. interesting
Old 08-02-2004, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Wow.. never seen the G55 forum get so active! Come on Frnak post it... why stop the thread now!
Old 08-02-2004, 02:13 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter

on the other hand I can name couple SUV that can out perform the G500/55 on the road or equal (or little less) off road. The Range Rover, the X5 4.8is, and the Cayenne turbo which all are better refined than the G. IMO

ooohhh...damn...i'm quoting myself.

read again, wagon...

and let me guess, previously, you only read out perform and off road. if that was the case how about another freakishly old Land Rover Defender which is probably the same age as the G-wagon other than it's not as expensive.

Last edited by FrankW; 08-02-2004 at 02:16 AM.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz

read again, wagon...

and let me guess, previously, you only read out perform and off road. if that was the case how about another freakishly old Land Rover Defender which is probably the same age as the G-wagon other than it's not as expensive.

Frank... i got to think that his point rests in the comment about equal or a little less off road. A X5 4.8is or a turbo Cayanne could NEVER go off-road in a real rock crawling tree stump hopping cliff climbing fashion. Just not pissible. They are great cars but they are what BMW calls SAV's not SUV's.

I know I would NEVER own a G-Class for I would never take it off road. 96k being scratched up pounding along a trail? Nope not for me. I would take a C55 and a Jeep way before a G55k

Have a goodnight.. im off to sleep
Old 08-02-2004, 03:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300SEL

read again, wagon...

Yeah, I read it again for fear that I may have made a mistake in my original post, but no I was not incorrect in my conclusions. So, to answer your question, you guessed wrong. I illustrated to you that the G is not even in the same class as the car based SUVs you mentioned in off road performance. So, there is no way they can "equal" or even be a "little less" adept at offroad performance as the G. In simplistic terms, apples are not oranges, so there can be no basis for comparison can there? I would not have bothered to post originally had it not been for your annoying plastic box comment, but that coupled with your misinformation was enough to put it over the top. You came into the forum and posted smack about the chosen vehicle of the forum members and then disseminated misinformation.

What about the Land Rover Defender? I could not discern from your sentence fragment what you were trying to get at with that comment. If you were attempting to compare that to the G, why don't you go ask the minions of G owners here in Westlake if they would consider paying 80-100k for a Land Rover that has the same offroad capabilities as the G but without any of the luxury/safety/durability/reliability that the G has to offer?
Old 08-02-2004, 04:13 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by schwarzwagen
Yeah, I read it again for fear that I may have made a mistake in my original post, but no I was not incorrect in my conclusions. So, to answer your question, you guessed wrong. I illustrated to you that the G is not even in the same class as the car based SUVs you mentioned in off road performance. So, there is no way they can "equal" or even be a "little less" adept at offroad performance as the G. In simplistic terms, apples are not oranges, so there can be no basis for comparison can there? I would not have bothered to post originally had it not been for your annoying plastic box comment, but that coupled with your misinformation was enough to put it over the top. You came into the forum and posted smack about the chosen vehicle of the forum members and then disseminated misinformation.

What about the Land Rover Defender? I could not discern from your sentence fragment what you were trying to get at with that comment. If you were attempting to compare that to the G, why don't you go ask the minions of G owners here in Westlake if they would consider paying 80-100k for a Land Rover that has the same offroad capabilities as the G but without any of the luxury/safety/durability/reliability that the G has to offer?
first of, the only one that couldn't go off road is probably the X5. The Cayenne turbo as Porsche has proven, it CAN go offroad like no other and that's why I said equal or less because the Cayenne is definitely not like the G-wagon. The Range Rover on the other hand is definitely an offroad vehicle w/ luxury items included. Other than the X5, the others are not car based.

second, yes I was comparing the Defender to the G. they're pretty much the same age, but while the Defender can keep to it's original form to attract customer who really wants an offroad vehicle, the G is filled w/ semi-modern parts picked up from MB's other cars.

Let me just end it w/ this, how many people have you seen has taken their LUXURY SUV offroad? or how often? Soccer moms going over the bumps and curbs because they couldn't manage driving large vehicles, and families going on a drive on 2-3 miles of unpaved road to their vacation house doesn't count btw.

If you ain't going off road or not that often, you might as well buy something
that works better on-the-road.

Last edited by FrankW; 08-02-2004 at 04:16 AM.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
66 230S 111.010 02 G500 463
first of, the only one that couldn't go off road is probably the X5. The Cayenne turbo as Porsche has proven, it CAN go offroad like no other and that's why I said equal or less because the Cayenne is definitely not like the G-wagon. The Range Rover on the other hand is definitely an offroad vehicle w/ luxury items included. Other than the X5, the others are not car based.

second, yes I was comparing the Defender to the G. they're pretty much the same age, but while the Defender can keep to it's original form to attract customer who really wants an offroad vehicle, the G is filled w/ semi-modern parts picked up from MB's other cars.

Let me just end it w/ this, how many people have you seen has taken their LUXURY SUV offroad? or how often? Soccer moms going over the bumps and curbs because they couldn't manage driving large vehicles, and families going on a drive on 2-3 miles of unpaved road to their vacation house doesn't count btw.

If you ain't going off road or not that often, you might as well buy something
that works better on-the-road.
Hate to point out the obvious - but the Defender hasn't been sold in the US since 1997 - and was a complete flop (in my opinion this was b/c Land Rover didn't market the D90 right). This was also the short wheel base version D90 not the D110 (of which a hundred or so where brought in a few years previous).

It would be great if the "original form" of the G was still available on this side of the big pond. I'd buy one if it did exist. The G was able to keep up with the airbags/safety requirements, the Defender was not. If Land Rover could have adapted their 25 year old design they would have - it was never built as well as the G and couldn't be done. Great cars, I almost bought one once. But with marginal power, horrible A/C, questionable reliability, very rough/spartan interior and leaky top it wasn't practical for my daily driver living here in Chicago. A lot of D90 guys are switching to the G because it is a better truck, on-road and off.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Ted,

Your PM box is full....

Any chance you would bring out the G55 for the AMG Photo Shoot / GTG on September 25th?

Details here...

https://mbworld.org/forums/events-gatherings/77146-amg-photo-shoot-georgia.html
Old 08-14-2004, 08:53 PM

name one other performance sedan that will out perform the C32 at it's price. you can't...The S4 maybe, but it's still slower than the C32.
An M3. £5k cheaper too.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:07 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by G Unit
An M3. £5k cheaper too.
"SEDAN"
Old 08-15-2004, 06:59 AM

"SEDAN"
They are both 4 seaters and are always matched as in the same category.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:30 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by G Unit
They are both 4 seaters and are always matched as in the same category.
I'm not sure if you understand me, SEDAN = 4 door.

Of course I know there's the M3, DUH!! but it's a sports coupe.

btw, the C32 can comfortablly seat 5 when the M3 can only seat 4. Trust me, I know. My 00 328Ci has the same interior space as the M3.

Last edited by FrankW; 08-15-2004 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
I'm not sure if you understand me, SEDAN = 4 door.

Of course I know there's the M3, DUH!! but it's a sports coupe.

btw, the C32 can comfortablly seat 5 when the M3 can only seat 4. Trust me, I know. My 00 328Ci has the same interior space as the M3.
Wow a pissing contest in the G55 forum! This is great!

Frank, the M3 is always going to be paired up with the W203 amg cars regardless of the nubmer of doors. There is actually for LEG room in an E46 coupe than in a C32. Head room and hip room are a different story. I personally enjoy a coupe for im sick of driving people around. People get dirt on my seat backs...very very rude!
Old 08-16-2004, 08:38 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
Wow a pissing contest in the G55 forum! This is great!

Frank, the M3 is always going to be paired up with the W203 amg cars regardless of the nubmer of doors. There is actually for LEG room in an E46 coupe than in a C32. Head room and hip room are a different story. I personally enjoy a coupe for im sick of driving people around. People get dirt on my seat backs...very very rude!
i know all of the above already. there's more leg room in the C btw. I had/have both, trust me on this one.

M3's paired up w/ the C32 or not that I don't care. They were both in my shop list when I got the C32. If there was a e46 M3 4door like the e36, I'd probably had more of a tough time making decision.

BUT right now my question is name a SEDAN, not name a COUPE.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
i know all of the above already. there's more leg room in the C btw. I had/have both, trust me on this one.

M3's paired up w/ the C32 or not that I don't care. They were both in my shop list when I got the C32. If there was a e46 M3 4door like the e36, I'd probably had more of a tough time making decision.

BUT right now my question is name a SEDAN, not name a COUPE.
I a quick search of non factory web pages the 330ci has 32 inches of leg room and a C320 has 33 inches. So I was off by a inch. Its not worth worrying about. Both back seats are terrible if you ask me. If the driver is over 5'10 the rear seat passengers are going to suffer a toll.

If space is a worry you dont belong in a 59k C-Class Might I point those people to an E320 or a 6 month old E500?

As for name a better 4 door car? I would take an S4 auto over a C32. After owning the C32 it really is not impressive in stock form. You see the difference RENNtech spings made in the car. Why can't MB do these things stock? I think the need to stop dropping the ball and build a bmw/audi killer. Stop the hp race and build a performace car!

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 08-16-2004 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Wait Hold The Press

I stand corrected!

E46 330ci rear leg room: 33.2
W203 C320: 33.0

And the back seat of the 330ci has MORE leg room

Factory specs so can wiggle here. Knew I remembered this from a while back!
Old 08-17-2004, 12:02 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Since you're asking.

Sedans that I like better than a C32:
Audi S4
Used Audi S6
C55
E500
Used M5
BMW 540
Cadillac CTV-S

That's about all that I can think of right now.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:05 AM

Wait a minute, I forgot one:

Used E55 (2002)
Old 08-17-2004, 12:11 AM

Also...

Mitsubishi Evolution
Subaru STI
...with about $20k worth of performance mods.

I happen to have an Evolution that I use as a track car with $25k in modifications. 600 awhp, by far the quickest and most agile car that I have ever owned. Much more fun, in my opinion, than a C32.

I'm done.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:12 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter

u obviously forgot the question was a sedan OUT PERFORM the C32 AT its price. not used, and not cheaper plus a lot of mods.

later newbie, and it sure took you long enough (a month) to come up w/ all those cars.

i've stated my opinion about the G-class on the first page, take it or leave it.

Last edited by FrankW; 08-17-2004 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:30 AM

Try writing in English and maybe I'll be able to respond to the first sentence of your last post.

You got me. I'm a MBWorld newbie in that I don't post very often. You should be so proud of yourself. 6,482 posts is a goal that I can only dream about. What's it like to have so much time on your hands? It must feel awesome to have veteran MBWorld status. Maybe if you'd quit spending so much time on forums bragging about a mediocre performance sedan you could make something of yourself. And who knows one day you might be able to afford a real performance car.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:21 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by G55K
Try writing in English and maybe I'll be able to respond to the first sentence of your last post.

You got me. I'm a MBWorld newbie in that I don't post very often. You should be so proud of yourself. 6,482 posts is a goal that I can only dream about. What's it like to have so much time on your hands? It must feel awesome to have veteran MBWorld status. Maybe if you'd quit spending so much time on forums bragging about a mediocre performance sedan you could make something of yourself. And who knows one day you might be able to afford a real performance car.
oh...i'm sorry if being a student upsets you. knock yourself out if you want to correct the grammar errors etc. I could care less about wat i typed in 5 second on a msg board. also you can knock yourself out by asking other ppl if i have ever bragged about having a C32.

i'm done talking to ppl like you who thinks they've bought the best car in the world.

btw, done talking about this topic. unsubscribing

Last edited by FrankW; 08-17-2004 at 01:27 AM.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:33 AM

The 25th Annerversary??????

The new AMG with it's past 25 years looks hot. It has over 430 hp and is as fast as the prosche cayenne turbo.

Thats the truck to get
Old 09-06-2004, 08:53 PM

2001 E55 & 1988 BMW M6
Originally Posted by YFV
By the way.............................black or silver?????????????????????????????
I'm sure you've ordered by now - in the event you haven't:

black on black is outstanding - with silver, your attention is drawn too much to the body moulding/bumper strips.

I see a lot of g-wagons in my area - black is the way to go...

definitely post pics once it comes it -

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 55AMG or 500 for 4x4??...