Sponsored by:

2005 AMG G55K VS KleeMann G55K

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 03:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 AMG G55K VS KleeMann G55K

Will what's up guys? I currently own a 2003 G55. Its a beauty, Silver on Designo black leather. Now what if I was to supercahrge my G55. Kleemann has a package for 19k with ins. It produces 560 HP and 548 lbs Tq.
The 2005 G55k which puts out 468 HP and 516 ft.lbs Tq. So I'm looking at which one is Faster? From what I heard, both put out similer times. I think the Kleemann one would be faster top end. Which one you guys think?

own 2003 G55 AMG (The True Beast)
Old 09-21-2004, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
............I knew this issue would come up sooner or later. The Kleemann G55k does not cost $19K to do except if you are also doing headers etc. It should be about $12K.

............Based on Published data, the Kleemann G55K is significantly faster than the AMG G55K. 0-60 is 4.9-5.2 secs for the Kleemann and 5.6 secs for the AMG. For a truck a 0.4 to 0.7 sec difference in 0-60 is huge. Published data is from Car and Driver for Kleemann and MBUSA.com for the AMG G55K

..........warranty is an issue. Based on the above figures the Kleemann car is a more desirable car. But, you will have a voided engine warranty, period. If you develop a problem with your engine, the interpretation of whether or not it is due to your Kleemann s/c often varies from dealer to dealer. Having said that, engine failures from Kleemann superchargers are quite rare. The only one I am aware of is an ML55 that totally blew its engine, but that car had a delimited top speed.

Ted
Old 09-21-2004, 01:20 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
I have a 2003 G55 with a Kleemann supercharger. Car and Driver tested my truck over a year ago and it did 0-60 in 4.9 seconds vs 0-60 in 5.6 seconds for the 2005 AMG G55K. I also ran the 1/4 mile in 14.0 seconds at 99mph. Right now Kleemann is using my truck to develop their "K8" package which includes headers, exhaust, cams, and ECU tuning. The "K8" package will be available for all G55's including the new G55K AMG. Take a look at the "performance" section of this forum were I recently posted dyno results of my G55 Kleemann. Once the Kleemann "K8" package is installed on my truck I'll post updated dyno results that can be used as a comparison.

The 2005 AMG G55K is going to awesome especially with the Kleemann K8 package. But I do believe that my Kleemann 2003 G55 with the "K8" package is going to be a beast.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:43 PM

2013 G 63 AMG
The most appealing improvements in the AMG version are MUCH bigger brakes, including vented discs in the back, improved suspension, electronics (ABS, traction control, 4ETS, etc.) tuned for the increased power, and of course the warranty. That being said, you have to decide whether it's worth the effort of getting a whole new car.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
............I knew this issue would come up sooner or later. The Kleemann G55k does not cost $19K to do except if you are also doing headers etc. It should be about $12K.

............Based on Published data, the Kleemann G55K is significantly faster than the AMG G55K. 0-60 is 4.9-5.2 secs for the Kleemann and 5.6 secs for the AMG. For a truck a 0.4 to 0.7 sec difference in 0-60 is huge. Published data is from Car and Driver for Kleemann and MBUSA.com for the AMG G55K

..........warranty is an issue. Based on the above figures the Kleemann car is a more desirable car. But, you will have a voided engine warranty, period. If you develop a problem with your engine, the interpretation of whether or not it is due to your Kleemann s/c often varies from dealer to dealer. Having said that, engine failures from Kleemann superchargers are quite rare. The only one I am aware of is an ML55 that totally blew its engine, but that car had a delimited top speed.

Ted
That ML is not the only Kleemann car to have motor trouble. They might wish it were however.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:01 PM

Please be more specific. Who do you know that has also had problems? What were the problems? What caused the problems? Improper installation, mechanical failures, etc. Without these specifics your post is meaningless.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
...........I agree that more specifics are nedded. I actually have quite a bit of experience with Kleemann cars including a Kleemann G55K which is now my daily driver. The only expected problem with a Kleemann s/c is water pump failure in their V6 superchargers. This has happened twice to my Kleemann CLK32K. This problem does not exist for the V8 s/c's due to a modification in their design. Why Kleemann does not permanently solve this problem in their V6 s/c's is not clear to me. Problems with Kleemann cars are pretty rare and I am comfortable with having a Kleemann s/c. The problem is that from a public relations standpoint, I am not sure that the folks at Kleemann truly realize how much damage one simple V6 s/c water pump failure can do to their bottom line. So why the V6 s/c problem has not been permanently solved is a mystery to me. If it is a financial issue, then I think they being short sighted. I personally know three friends of mine who were at the verge of getting Kleemann s/c's who decided not to, because of my water pump mishaps. People just get afraid. You have to already own a Kleemann car to know that their s/c's are incredible and safe. But how about appealing to a wider mass market majority of whom get very nervous when they hear "water pump failure."

Ted
Old 10-08-2004, 12:35 AM

Ted,
A water pump failure would cause the supercharger to fail but not the engine, correct? There's a big difference between the two and the post above you referred to Kleemann cars with engine failures.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:02 PM

Kleemann V6 is already redesigned with a similar drive as the V8 and have been on the market since June 04, a replacement drive can be build into the old model V6.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:44 PM

The problem is that from a public relations standpoint, I am not sure that the folks at Kleemann truly realize how much damage one simple V6 s/c water pump failure can do to their bottom line. So why the V6 s/c problem has not been permanently solved is a mystery to me. If it is a financial issue, then I think they being short sighted. I personally know three friends of mine who were at the verge of getting Kleemann s/c's who decided not to, because of my water pump mishaps. People just get afraid. You have to already own a Kleemann car to know that their s/c's are incredible and safe. But how about appealing to a wider mass market majority of whom get very nervous when they hear "water pump failure."

WERD x93938478939487593982374738287
Old 10-12-2004, 06:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
G55 K8

It should be good for 635HPS....at least what Kleemans got from this engine in E55 and ML55...

It will be a beast...
Old 10-23-2004, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
...........I just finished looking at the new AMG G55K. There is one sitting at Atlanta Classic Cars. IT looks EXACTLY THE SAME as the non Kompressor G55. No, the inside is NOT birds eye wood, it IS the same burlwood. The Comand is the same non DVD Comand. The seats are the same. Only difference is that it has slotted rotors and the rear brake assembly is differtent. Also there is a V8 Kompressor badge
...........If you have a Kleemann G55K, all you need is a V8 Kompressor badge in the front side panels ( which will be valid because your car is indeed a V8 Kompressor) and your car will be the same as the AMG G55k, except you will have more HP. You can also easily swap your brake assembly to that of the new one.

...........I wonder why there are essentially no visible changes.

Ted
Old 10-23-2004, 06:54 PM

2013 G 63 AMG
There are a few subtle differences inside. Curtain airbags are now included and the rear center passenger now has a shoulder seat belt that comes down from the ceiling. The suspension is also retuned to be less harsh and the exhaust has also been tweaked slightly. All of the electronics have been retuned (ESP, 4ETS, EBV, ABS) for the increased power and braking. This was the change that took the most time for the AMG engineers and one of the reasons why now the Kompressor engine is not available for the SWB, Cabriolet, and XL versions.

Two new colors are available for the 25th Anniversary G500 and G400 along with special wheels, but those models don't look like they will be available in the US and only 250 units will be built.

Also, this current body style is about to be discontinued so they aren't investing in external cosmetic changes...they've made so few in the past 25 years that this isn't a big surprise. It's too bad all the designo options aren't available in the US since they give you the option of tweaking the interior/exterior as you like. My G55 has two tone leather, for example.

Last edited by jimmyg; 10-23-2004 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:16 PM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
Europa told me they could order me a G55K cabriolet. Is this not the case? I have the Kompressor option in writing from them.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:34 PM

2013 G 63 AMG
I know someone at AMG and when I met him last december at the Dubai Motor Show he said they weren't going to offer it, but almost a year has passed since then so maybe things have changed. He's incharge of all Custom and VIP vehicles at AMG so I'll e-mail him and ask him if this is possible and what the price in Germany is.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:20 PM

c43
what about brabus version of g55, does that put out more power than klee?
Old 10-28-2004, 10:30 PM

No, the Kleemann system puts out more HP than Brabus at about half the cost.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:32 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

...........I agree that more specifics are nedded. I actually have quite a bit of experience with Kleemann cars including a Kleemann G55K which is now my daily driver. The only expected problem with a Kleemann s/c is water pump failure in their V6 superchargers. This has happened twice to my Kleemann CLK32K. This problem does not exist for the V8 s/c's due to a modification in their design. Why Kleemann does not permanently solve this problem in their V6 s/c's is not clear to me. Problems with Kleemann cars are pretty rare and I am comfortable with having a Kleemann s/c. The problem is that from a public relations standpoint, I am not sure that the folks at Kleemann truly realize how much damage one simple V6 s/c water pump failure can do to their bottom line. So why the V6 s/c problem has not been permanently solved is a mystery to me. If it is a financial issue, then I think they being short sighted. I personally know three friends of mine who were at the verge of getting Kleemann s/c's who decided not to, because of my water pump mishaps. People just get afraid. You have to already own a Kleemann car to know that their s/c's are incredible and safe. But how about appealing to a wider mass market majority of whom get very nervous when they hear "water pump failure."

Ted
All KLEEMANN SC's now have the "new" V8 drive assemblies, and have been built this way for nearly one year. Retrofit kits are available for the "old" style water pump systems. You must send the SC assembly to KLEEMANN USA for rebuilding as rotor timing is required. All required parts are included (electric water pump, wiring etc etc). Reto kits are $1500.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
.............Very strange. I had my s/c water pump replaced for the second time 2 months ago by Donnie. The water pump was of course ordered from you, but no one mentioned anything about the retro-fit unit you speak about. Is there a reason neither you nor your authorized dealers will mention this to someone who has had two water pump failures already? Does this mean that I still have the old water pump unit and subject to the same problems? Or since my water pump was changed just two months ago, do I now have the new and improved system and should not worry? Also explain a bit more what you mean by the sending the s/c assembly to Kleemann. Does this mean that the s/c itself has to be removed and sent to you. If so, what is the turn around time and is the car still driveable during this interval.

Ted
Old 10-31-2004, 02:49 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Is there a reason neither you nor your authorized dealers will mention this to someone who has had two water pump failures already? Does this mean that I still have the old water pump unit and subject to the same problems? Or since my water pump was changed just two months ago, do I now have the new and improved system and should not worry? Also explain a bit more what you mean by the sending the s/c assembly to Kleemann. Does this mean that the s/c itself has to be removed and sent to you. If so, what is the turn around time and is the car still driveable during this interval.

Ted
Two months ago there were no retro fit nose drives, the idea was not even on the table. Your system is still the "old" style system. When the SC was changed to the new drive the rotor housing also changed, the new drive would not fit on the old systems. We have since made another assembly that WILL fit to the old housing, I took delivery of the first systems only a few days ago, so this is very new news, no one is trying to keep it from you Our dealers have been alerted to this, so it should be common knowledge soon.

The SC itself needs to be removed from the car and sent to us to fit the new drive. Turn around time is one day once it is in our shop. The car is not driveable with out an intake manifold- you could fit the OE manifold and drive if you needed to but this represents additional redundant work.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 G55k
...........I just finished looking at the new AMG G55K. There is one sitting at Atlanta Classic Cars. IT looks EXACTLY THE SAME as the non Kompressor G55. No, the inside is NOT birds eye wood, it IS the same burlwood. The Comand is the same non DVD Comand. The seats are the same. Only difference is that it has slotted rotors and the rear brake assembly is differtent. Also there is a V8 Kompressor badge
...........If you have a Kleemann G55K, all you need is a V8 Kompressor badge in the front side panels ( which will be valid because your car is indeed a V8 Kompressor) and your car will be the same as the AMG G55k, except you will have more HP. You can also easily swap your brake assembly to that of the new one.

...........I wonder why there are essentially no visible changes.

Ted

My apologies for another thread resurrection but this thread brings up two topics I'm very interested in.

1.) How are these Kleemann G55ks from 2004 holding up to the test of time? Are they still running? Any problems with the S/C's?

2.) Has anyone actually performed a brake swap to a non S/C G55 from a G55k. If so, what exactly can I swap? Is it a direct caliper, rotor, brake line swap or do I need to modify anything on the non s/c G55?

I've been trying to search on #2 but can't seem to find anything. I found someone selling brakes from his G55k but I need to find out what actual parts I need for the swap.

Thanks for any input anyone can give!