G55 AMG (W463) Discuss the G55 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck in First Gear... For a little while.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 05:01 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 AMG G55
Stuck in First Gear... For a little while.

Okay... My 2003 G55 with 144k miles has been doing extremely well. I've been driving it almost exclusively now and have put around 1k miles on it so far. I love the way it cruises down the road, and I love the sound it makes when I nail it!

The other day, I needed to drop it off at the shop I use to get it Virginia State Inspected and have an Emissions test run. It passed both with flying colors with NO remarks of, "Hey keep an eye on this or your brakes are getting close."... Etc. No problems whatsoever. Everyone in the shop gathered around it as they don't see too many and they wanted to check it out. They all commented on what great condition it is in. I mean... Aside from a few stone chips in the front. It could pass for 1 year old instead of 20!

So, I have a nice spring in my step and am pleased it flew through both inspections with no problems. I get out to the light in front of the shop and accelerate quickly up to the next light. I'm in pole position so I NAIL IT! I am surprised when it winds all the way up to redline and doesn't shift! WTF??? I pull over into another parking lot. I turn the car off and back on. I take it back out on the road and it is still stuck in 1st gear! I pull over again. Turn it off... let it sit for a second... Start it back up and take off again. Still stuck! I turn around and limp back to the shop. I have checked the oil and it is fine but because I am winding up to 4k RPM I assume it is pulling all the oil out of the pan and I get a low oil light. I slow down and it goes away... The check engine light pops on. I am a block away from the garage, so I limp back in and let them take a look.

The tech reads the code, but he said it was strange because it took a while to come up... Longer than normal. I go inside the shop to talk to the owner and the tech continues. I start talking other business with the owner and then the tech comes in and says it is working now after he cleared the code. For the Transmission Control Module. Code P240D. But he said there were also a lot of old codes. As I look through them (attached here) I see some from repairs that have already been performed, such as the oil level sensor.

So... Food for thought. I have read up on this a little and it seems a common cause for this are spills on the center console. I don't see where that has happened, and I have only had one drink in there since I bought it. The inside literally looks like brand new.

I am attaching a PDF as well as pictures here. Anyone have any ideas?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2003 G55 Codes PDF.PDF (449.0 KB, 31 views)