97K 2018 G63 or 73K 2011 G55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2024, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 996 turbo
97K 2018 G63 or 73K 2011 G55

Hello, everyone.
I'm a hair stylist From Seattle. 34 years old (no retirement account set up yet).
I've admired G for a long time. Its body design and engine sound. I have 996TT. R35 GTR & RR L405 Diesel. I love and often drive the 996TT. I like the pre-2018 car more than the new era car design. I usually change the oil myself. Save money and avoid building relationships with service providers.
But I never had G.
Lately I feel like I'm getting closer to it. Almost the same number of miles. 7 years old age difference . 23K price difference . This is enough to prove that the G55 holds its value. I've also done some searching and it looks like the G55 is reliable in every way.
The 2018 G63 is newer and more mature in every way, as well as turbocharged technology. I don't mind if the interior is luxurious and the ride is soft. I care about its driving feedback.
I'd like to hear your opinion.
Old 01-17-2024, 03:40 PM

Received 443 Likes on 268 Posts
2005 G55K
Great stable of cars.

I wouldn't really call the dynamics of driving a G "driving feedback". I think there is a preception about the G overall, and that really makes people love it or hate it, both those who have owned and driven them, and those who have not.

The 2018 will be more plush and have more creature comforts, but the driving dynamic will be very similar between the 2. You will want to upgrade the suspension on the G55 for something softer most likely. The OE suspension is way too harsh. For the older W463 chassis and AMG models, you've pretty much chosen the best 2. Last year of the M113k and last year of the W463 body style. Both will hold their values the best and both will be fun to drive.

You should try driving a G. It doesn't really matter which model, but checking out the layout, driving position, pedal position, sight lines, etc and then actually driving it to see if it is something you like. Much more akin to a Jeep than a RR. Has a character all its own that, like I said, some love, and some hate.

For the 2011 G55, it is older, so will probably require more up front maintenance. Having a G specific mechanic is pretty important. But then again, you'll be paying more for the 2018 G63, so all a tradeoff. I think the main difference between the 2 models you're looking at, is the interior. The older is much more dated than the newer, and some love it, and some don't. Your preference.

In my view, you can't go wrong with either if they are both in your budget. It'll probably draw the same amount of eyes as your 996tt from the cool-ness factor.

Cheers!
Old 01-17-2024, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 996 turbo
Originally Posted by shiann
Great stable of cars.

I wouldn't really call the dynamics of driving a G "driving feedback". I think there is a preception about the G overall, and that really makes people love it or hate it, both those who have owned and driven them, and those who have not.

The 2018 will be more plush and have more creature comforts, but the driving dynamic will be very similar between the 2. You will want to upgrade the suspension on the G55 for something softer most likely. The OE suspension is way too harsh. For the older W463 chassis and AMG models, you've pretty much chosen the best 2. Last year of the M113k and last year of the W463 body style. Both will hold their values the best and both will be fun to drive.

You should try driving a G. It doesn't really matter which model, but checking out the layout, driving position, pedal position, sight lines, etc and then actually driving it to see if it is something you like. Much more akin to a Jeep than a RR. Has a character all its own that, like I said, some love, and some hate.

For the 2011 G55, it is older, so will probably require more up front maintenance. Having a G specific mechanic is pretty important. But then again, you'll be paying more for the 2018 G63, so all a tradeoff. I think the main difference between the 2 models you're looking at, is the interior. The older is much more dated than the newer, and some love it, and some don't. Your preference.

In my view, you can't go wrong with either if they are both in your budget. It'll probably draw the same amount of eyes as your 996tt from the cool-ness factor.

Cheers!
Thank you for your correction and detailed sharing. I drove the 2017 G63 for a short time. I love it. Thank you for your correction and detailed sharing. I drove the 2017 G63 for a short time. I love it. Sounds like I need to prepare for a long flight.
Old 01-27-2024, 12:18 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
996 Carrera, G55 AMG
The supercharged 5.5L V8 will be more reliable than the new “hot v” turbocharged 4.0L. The 63 has bigger nicer brakes and a newer interior, but I would still take the older bigger more reliable engine!
The following users liked this post:
moen (02-01-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 224 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
I do not own either...That being stated, I've always be keen to the G55, but when I make the journey to my dealer they always have G63 on the promises. So I like the 63, but the 55 is where my heart would perfer. Only my opinion. GL
R,
2Merks
The following users liked this post:
moen (02-01-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 244 Likes on 224 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Originally Posted by moen
Hello, everyone.
I'm a hair stylist From Seattle. 34 years old (no retirement account set up yet).
I've admired G for a long time. Its body design and engine sound. I have 996TT. R35 GTR & RR L405 Diesel. I love and often drive the 996TT. I like the pre-2018 car more than the new era car design. I usually change the oil myself. Save money and avoid building relationships with service providers.
But I never had G.
Lately I feel like I'm getting closer to it. Almost the same number of miles. 7 years old age difference . 23K price difference . This is enough to prove that the G55 holds its value. I've also done some searching and it looks like the G55 is reliable in every way.
The 2018 G63 is newer and more mature in every way, as well as turbocharged technology. I don't mind if the interior is luxurious and the ride is soft. I care about its driving feedback.
I'd like to hear your opinion.
Status?
R,
2Merks