Sponsored by:

G55 Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 G63
G55 Engine Noise

I've observed a fairly high pitched "whistling" noise from my new G55 at slow speeds around 1200rpm. I imagine it is related to the supercharger but do not hear the same sound from either my SL55 or S55.

At first my wife thought the sound was from a siren in the distance before I informed her that it is coming from the engine. It does sound as she described it.

Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, found a remedy? The noise is annoying when driving around town with frequent stop and starts.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 G-55 AMG
My G-55k exhibits a noticable, but not intrusive supercharger "whine" at low speeds, when tire, wind or and/or exhaust noise is not sufficient to mask it. The supercharger sounds are actually significantly less noticable than those I hear in the various supercharged Jaguars I've driven. I suspect that your other Mercedes vehicles have significantly more sound proofing material and related sound deadening engineering than our 70's era G-55k's.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:54 AM

2019 G63
Is this your first G? If not, what is your reaction to the suspension as compared to non AMG models?

I've obtained, but not yet installed, sets of replacement front and rear shocks from the G500. While the G55K is much smoother riding than an '03 G55 that I owned for about 3-weeks, it is still much more "bouncy" than any of the other 4 G-Wagens I've owned.

I'm sure it is a plus for off-roading but most of us never go off-road. As is, the ride is great on open highway but leaves a lot to be desired on any road with dips, valleys or East Coast potholes. I tolerate the stiffer ride although much preferred that of my '02 G500, however, my wife feels that it is too rough and as such she is not very happy when I want to take it somewhere.

I checked the part numbers and the springs are the same so the only difference is in the shocks and tires. I'll get the new shocks on in a week or so and see what improvement results.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by dharrar
Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, found a remedy? The noise is annoying when driving around town with frequent stop and starts.
I can say that I hear what you describe in my SL, although very, very faint, I hear a very high pitched whistle when driving slow with the radio off and no other noise around.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
........My G55K is a bit different in that it is a Kleemann set up, but not really much different. Interestingly, I do not hear the s/c whine. It may be there, but perharps it is drowned out by the exhaust note which I think is absolutely fabulous. I do here the whine when I am listening to AM radio. If I press the gas pedal while the radio is on an AM station, I here a very audible whine coming from the stereo speakers. Not really an irritation for me, but I wonder if this has been the experience of any other board member.

..........regarding the suspension. I have not driven the AMG G55K, but the 03 NA g55 had absolutely horrible suspension. I can definitely say that changing out your shocks to the G500 one solves the problem. It appears that despite the changes, the G55K still has harsh ride.

Ted
Old 01-28-2005, 03:44 PM

2005 G-55 AMG
My G-55k is, indeed, my first G. I will be very interested to hear whether or not you notice a significant improvement in ride characteristics after you switch out the shocks. However, I believe that the stiffer shocks on the G-55k are not actually for off-road purposes, but rather to enhance high speed on-road handling and stability.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:03 PM

Supercharge noise

Hello All,

I had a high-pitched whistle on my G55k which was finally mostly silenced by installing a new supercharger.

Does anyone have a problem with a steering wheel vibration at highway speeds?

I look forward to your comments.

Reza
Old 02-17-2005, 06:14 PM

2005 G-55 AMG
I have noticed pronounced steering wheel vibration only sporadically, and then only when the truck is driven at high speeds immediately after start up after sitting over night. Others have noted this as well, and have attributed the vibration to the steering damper. Apparently, the damper works better after it warms up, although I am not sure why.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:08 AM

The tires in my G55 seem to "flat spot" overnight. After driving for a few miles they warm up and the vibration goes away. This happens on the wife's SL65 also.

When new, my G55 had a constant slight vibration at highway speeds, dealer balanced all 4 tires and that fixed the problem.