G63 disappointments

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2023, 04:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
‘23 G63 / ‘22 Defender Trek
G63 disappointments

Hi all,

My wife shocked me today, a MB fan girl and someone who wanted a G for a long time, said she missed her old RRS SVR!!

We have welcomed a ‘23 G63 Magno Black + night package w/ saddle brown and 22” forged cross spoke wheels to the family after 2 years of anticipation. My wife is coming out of a ‘17 RRS SVR (this is not the updated ‘18-22 MY either) and is slightly disappointed with the G. We have yet to pass the break-in 1,000 miles and fully test performance.

She is a MB fan-girl and has been eager to return to the brand after a hiatus: Maserati Levante, SVR.

Here is what we noticed and curious if anyone can relate or rebut.

1) sound system in the SVR was superior - in the G it feels like we have Bluetooth Wonder-boom speakers.
I have read of aftermarket upgrades, but in a $200k vehicle it’s laughable.

2) exhaust sound - the SVR was more satisfying (subjective) and was more dramatic (pop-pop) when lifting off the throttle.

3) Ride/handling - we tried her sister’s g550 on 20” and it wasn’t markedly different from our 63. Strange vehicle lean in the G even compared to my Defender. The defender certainly has more lean, but it coddles rather than tilt and punish. Is it the air suspension vs. springs?
I will say it feels “solid” on the road - rolling bank vault.

4) infotainment - Mercedes knocked it out with features and customization (kids loved changing the ambient lights) and after a few days it is intuitive, but lacks the knobs (Grenadier / Defender)

5) Space - kids love high rear seat and visibility out the windows but space feels tighter in the back vs. SVR

I know most will say to compare the SVR to the GLE63 but the GLE does not feel like an SUV the way the G and RR/RRS do (driving position / command of the road). Curious when the Defender SVR will be out!

Appreciate you all taking a listen, hopefully this is useful to some.

Last edited by Boba1; 05-08-2023 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-27-2023, 09:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,941 Likes on 3,103 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Seems like common observations/complaints. I like the G but after reading so many of these types of posts I don't think I can do it. Comfort and practicality are important to me and the G doesn't seem to deliver on these, unfortunately.
Old 11-01-2023, 09:49 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
SLS
To be honest, the G-wagen is something that you either like it or you don't based on its exterior looks and what it represents.

It's never had the newest of the new interfaces, etc., from Mercedes.

For me? I love it. And that's why I have 3.
The following 5 users liked this post by GrnLantern:
C280 Sport (11-20-2023), dcarrer0 (12-02-2023), peejalino (12-04-2023), QuadBenz (11-02-2023), SLS (12-14-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 423 Likes on 349 Posts
MB’s
The G wagon is sort of in a class of its own. It’s nothing like a GLE/ML and never was. It’s not like a Range Rover at all. My wife wanted a G Wagon and we drove one before she got a ML and she was shocked at how it was. I tried to explain that the G Wagon is unlike anything else and is not as soft or plushy like many SUV’s. It’s more off road focused. The G is large in size but not inside. It was never made for ground breaking tech. It was never made to be practical. It’s either a thing people like or hate I have noticed. My friend who worked for Renntech would always tell me that.

Also, the Maserati she had was not even a SUV. It was a crossover and that is car based. G Wagon is not a crossover but a SUV
The following 2 users liked this post by C280 Sport:
chassis (11-20-2023), dcarrer0 (12-02-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,167 Likes on 612 Posts
2023 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by Boba1
Hi all,

My wife shocked me today, a MB fan girl and someone who wanted a G for a long time, said she missed her old RRS SVR!!

We have welcomed a ‘23 G63 Magno Black + night package w/ saddle brown and 22” forged cross spoke wheels to the family after 2 years of anticipation. My wife is coming out of a ‘17 RRS SVR (this is not the updated ‘18-22 MY either) and is slightly disappointed with the G. We have yet to pass the break-in 1,000 miles and fully test performance.

She is a MB fan-girl and has been eager to return to the brand after a hiatus: Maserati Levante, SVR.

Here is what we noticed and curious if anyone can relate or rebut.

1) sound system in the SVR was superior - in the G it feels like we have Bluetooth Wonder-boom speakers.
I have read of aftermarket upgrades, but in a $200k vehicle it’s laughable.

2) exhaust sound - the SVR was more satisfying (subjective) and was more dramatic (pop-pop) when lifting off the throttle.

3) Ride/handling - we tried her sister’s g550 on 20” and it wasn’t markedly different from our 63. Strange vehicle lean in the G even compared to my Defender. The defender certainly has more lean, but it coddles rather than tilt and punish. Is it the air suspension vs. springs?
I will say it feels “solid” on the road - rolling bank vault.

4) infotainment - Mercedes knocked it out with features and customization (kids loved changing the ambient lights) and after a few days it is intuitive, but lacks the knobs (Grenadier / Defender)

5) Space - kids love high rear seat and visibility out the windows but space feels tighter in the back vs. SVR

I know most will say to compare the SVR to the GLE63 but the GLE does not feel like an SUV the way the G and RR/RRS do (driving position / command of the road). Curious when the Defender SVR will be out!

Appreciate you all taking a listen, hopefully this is useful to some.
All this seems the way of newer cars. I don't necessarily think this is a RRS vs G issue; it is more like a 2017 vs 2023 issue.
I just moved from a 2016 E63S to a 2023 E63S and share absolutely all the sentiments above when comparing the two. Crappy sound system, small speakers, no door speakers anymore, no trunk sub woofer anymore, no knobs, soft suspension, SUV-like vs sports car like, quieter exhaust, etc. etc. etc.
Old 12-07-2023, 03:55 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
SLS
Originally Posted by I.T. Guy
All this seems the way of newer cars. I don't necessarily think this is a RRS vs G issue; it is more like a 2017 vs 2023 issue.
Agreed.

If you want a better comparison, wait until the refresh of the G.

Land Rover and MB aren't on the same refresh schedule, so we're overlapping next gen with previous gen technology.

Furthermore, the Range Rover is firmly in the ultra-lux category (I mean, Her Majesty The Queen used to roll around in one), whereas the G63 isn't that. It never pretends to be that. It's not an S-Class / Maybach.
Old 12-14-2023, 10:46 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
to the op- which part of "small offroad tractor" your wife doesnt get?

the g-wagen is its own thing, it is not for everybody and anybody that acquired it "because g-wagen" will be sorely disappointed. it really tries to check many contradicting boxes and fails on all of them when compared to more dedicated for each purpose vehicle.... which is pretty much its appeal.

it is a one off, obnoxious, impractical exercise in past-looking forward thinking automotive neanderthal. it requires a unique type of person to like it and 99% of the current owners are not it.

just my 2 cents

Last edited by alx; 12-14-2023 at 10:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (12-14-2023)
Old 12-14-2023, 06:41 PM
SLS

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
1998 Land Cruiser, 2003 SL500, 2024 G63
Originally Posted by chassis
Seems like common observations/complaints. I like the G but after reading so many of these types of posts I don't think I can do it. Comfort and practicality are important to me and the G doesn't seem to deliver on these, unfortunately.
So what would be your replacement?
chassis (12-14-2023)
Old 12-14-2023, 08:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by SLS
So what would be your replacement?
Cayenne or Bentayga at this price point and SUV body style. Lexus GX if performance is not a requirement.

All three have excellent comfort when optioned with air suspension. Cayenne and Bentayga can deliver top tier performance. VAG products are reliable enough, and in any case far more so than MB.

Not a LR/RR fan. Urus is too impractical. SQ8 is a lesser Cayenne. BMWs don't inspire.
Old 12-15-2023, 06:16 PM
SLS

Originally Posted by chassis
Cayenne or Bentayga at this price point and SUV body style. Lexus GX if performance is not a requirement.

All three have excellent comfort when optioned with air suspension. Cayenne and Bentayga can deliver top tier performance. VAG products are reliable enough, and in any case far more so than MB.

Not a LR/RR fan. Urus is too impractical. SQ8 is a lesser Cayenne. BMWs don't inspire.
So Bentayga more reliable than a G63? Who services it if there are no Bentley stores for 250 miles? Who's the parent company, Volkswagen Group? Audi's less reliable than BMW (Mini, Rolls Royce)? Personally the Land Rover Range Rover is sexy as hell, but the reliability has me looking elsewhere.

Last edited by SLS; 12-16-2023 at 10:47 AM.
chassis (12-16-2023)
Old 12-16-2023, 09:32 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
2021 G63; 2018 Aston Martin DB11
Originally Posted by SLS
So Bentayga more reliable than a G63? Who services it if there are no Bentley stores for 250 miles? Who the parent company, Volkswagen Group? Audi's less reliable than BMW (Mini, Rolls Royce)? Personally the Land Rover Range Rover is sexy as hell, but the reliability has me looking elsewhere.
I have an Aston DB11 car. Any thoughts on their suv the DBX?
chassis (12-16-2023)
Old 12-16-2023, 10:48 AM
SLS

Originally Posted by dcarrer0
I have an Aston DB11 car. Any thoughts on their suv the DBX?
Seems like a no brainer. If you have a DB11. then the DBX would be a nice addition. DB11, wife's favorite car but can't because she needs cushier seats!
Old 12-16-2023, 02:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by SLS
So Bentayga more reliable than a G63?
In my view, yes. V8 engine in the Bentayga seems to be aging gracefully, more so than the M177. The body and chassis platform for the Bentayga is comfortable, capable of high performance, attractive and reliable.

Originally Posted by SLS
Who services it if there are no Bentley stores for 250 miles?
Gotta figure that one out, depending on where you live. It's real.

Originally Posted by SLS
Who's the parent company, Volkswagen Group?
Yes.

Originally Posted by SLS
Audi's less reliable than BMW (Mini, Rolls Royce)?
In my view they are in the same arena.

Originally Posted by SLS
Personally the Land Rover Range Rover is sexy as hell, but the reliability has me looking elsewhere.
Agree.

Last edited by chassis; 12-16-2023 at 02:03 PM.
SLS (12-16-2023)