General Discussion of Mercedes-Benz Classics Misc Discussion of the Classics, car spottings, museums etc.

Pressure washer to clean car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pressure washer to clean car?

I just got a 1400psi washer and saw on TV last night a guy cleaning his car with it.
I can put on a detergent bottle and spray first at low pressure, then put on the head unit and vary the spray from wide to narrow. Seems great on wheels.
Anybody using one?
Old 05-23-2011, 06:18 AM

Yes
Yeah! The pressure washer is awesome on wheels. Here are some cautions while using pressure washer:
1. Always keep the nozzle at least 6 inches away from the paint. Don't be tempted to get closer to remove a little spot. If you spray directly into an existing chip and you're too close, it can actually chip the paint. 1400psi is not likely going to cause any problem, though.
2. Never use a straight stream (if the pressure washer supports it). Same reason as above, Keep the stream in a "fan" of about 30 degrees.
3. Don't towel dry after washing with only a pressure washer. Even if you use soap, some dirt will remain and you'll end up with dirty towels and swirl marks.
You may check out http://www.best-pressure-washer-revi...teristics.html, It has excellent reviews about the best pressure washers selected on their characteristics.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:07 AM

Depends on the day...
Originally Posted by Vanagon55
Don't towel dry after washing with only a pressure washer. Even if you use soap, some dirt will remain and you'll end up with dirty towels and swirl marks.
Use a leaf blower instead! Start blowing at the roof and work your way down the sides.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:32 AM

Benz 2005
Microfiber towels are more than appropriate to towel dry. They would not scratch the surface, nor would they leave stains. Just use 2 or 3 of them in a cleaning and you will have really good clean vehicle.

1400 PSI is perfectly suitable for car cleaning. I have one AR390 pressure washer, which is slightly more powerful than that and has built-in detergent tank. The unit is perfect for occasional garage floor cleaning, keeping your car clean and blowing away the dirt on sidewalks.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:35 AM

Toyota Prius
Wow thanks even i was looking for this information. Will use it.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:33 AM

toyota highlander
I think now a days most of the people afford pressure washing because this method is really capable of cleaning almost all type of dirt and stains at low cost. It also Increases the market value of your belongings.

pressure washing service nj
Old 09-13-2012, 05:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Rally
I just got a 1400psi washer and saw on TV last night a guy cleaning his car with it.
I can put on a detergent bottle and spray first at low pressure, then put on the head unit and vary the spray from wide to narrow. Seems great on wheels.
Anybody using one?

I use Karcher but I NEVER spray the wheels. It destroys the wheel paint.

You must be very polite with spray washing under force. I use a gentle angle that is never close or 90 degrees. The idea is to push rubbish in a direction and work towards to the ground.

It basically does three things perfectly.

a) Applies a pre-wash with the foam applicator (works really well).

b) saves a lot of water.

c) takes off the heavy grit so your sponge doesnt rub it into the paint.

If you get a Karcher get the larger clear bottle foamer. And look at series 5 or 6. You can also use hot water up to about 80F.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:55 AM

honda civic
I am also agree with you the 1400 PSI is very suitable for car washing. I also have one AR390 power appliance, which is a little bit more powerful than that and has built-in soap reservoir. It is perfect for periodic garage area ground washing, keeping your car fresh and running away the dust on sidewalks