Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

What justifies an AMG badge...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2002, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been following this thread and have to say that Ahmed, you are a moron.

during my time in high school, i remember kids ordering their MB's from germany and they all came with AMG badges.

cars like 300 CE-24 and 300 E-24 even E500's 560 SEC's that had AMG styling packages on them all came with AMG badges FROM THE FACTORY!

So who are we to argue if this is right or wrong?

Anyways, the bottom line is.. that any motor enthusiast would have read all those crappy mags and knows what its all about. I mean.. give me break.. you think a guy that drives an M3 doesnt know the performance of an AMG???

and by the way.... can you imagine the treatment you get when you walk into a fancy shop having just pulled up in an AMG? Whether its real or not.... it makes life alot easier where ever you are!

STATUS SYMBOL MY FRIEND! thats all it is!

What the hell are you thinking? Everyone else who has contributed their $0.02 had something worthwhile to say but your answer is something I would expect from a child. You say you are an engineer? You seriously lack logic skills. Your whole argument is saying "I want to do it because all the other kids did it!" You are no different then people who wear folexes. The AMG badge gives you a false sense of importance and you feel as though you are not enough without it. Why don't you try to impress people with your personal skills instead of making them like you by tricking them into thinking you have an AMG. BTW, I read some of your other posts in the forum and I, as a middle eastern person am ashamed of the things you said to some of the members on this board and believe you owe them an apology. Also, I am expecting your usual prompt and offensive reply to my message.
Old 07-27-2002, 09:58 PM

everyone else can either watch and admire.. or suck my motha*******g d*ck!!!!

U dont pay my bills.. i do and if there's anyone out there that wants to bring it... than bring it! Cause we aint *****in.. we're bringin drama.. f*ck u and yo motha*******g mama!!!!

jeeez... have'nt heard that in ages.. gonna put some SHAKUR in my changer and bob some heads tonight! YEAH!!!!!

PICTURE ME ROLLIN IN MY 555555555555555 BENZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very very sad, how old are you again Ahmed?
Old 07-28-2002, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
you will not get an offensive answer from me. And z3r0, I'm old enough to understand which people deserve which answer.

You say you're middle eastern... my respects to you.

As far as AMG badges are concerned, I was just pointing out that the factory itself had a view toward AMG badging that contradicted some of the views that our fellow members had. That's all.

Regarding status symbol... again, you can't argue that its not true. Whether its right or not is not the issue! And I would sincerely appreciate if you refrain from making judgement on people you don't know personally.

I don't lack logic skills, I'm just blunt and ignorant towards issues that don't make a difference to my life! However, you are free to express your thoughts and i respect that... no offence taken.

anyways. good luck to you my friend, and keep up the good work.
Old 07-28-2002, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
My guiding axiom:

To thine own self be true!
Old 07-28-2002, 11:15 AM

Porsche Cayenne S, MB E430, & M3
Re: What justifies an AMG badge...

Originally posted by Accord
On "another" forum, there was a pretty popular topic about what justifies someone putting an AMG badge on there car. Well, I decided to start one here.

The only thing that justifies an AMG badge is if you have a REAL AMG. Now, I am not bashing anyone here, but the people who put AMG badges on their non-AMG cars, give the real AMG owners a bad name.

An example of this, is a E320 with an AMG body kit, wheels, and badge pulls up to a light and an M3 driving pulls up next to the E320... however, the M3 driver sees the AMG badge and assumes that the car is an E55 rather than an E320. So the M3 driver guns it and obliterates the E320... and do you know what? The M3 driver just thinks he just took an E55 AMG to school, when in actuality, he did not. So the M3 driver gets home and goes on one of the BMW forums and starts posting away in the kills section... "Hey guys, I smoked an MBNZ E55 AMG today! He was no match for my powerful M3! M Power rules blah blah!". So now all of his other M3 buddies aswell as himself will take that like a shot in the vein with ego juice.

All i'm saying, is if you want an AMG, then buy one. If you cannot afford an AMG, but you can afford the modifications like a body kit and whatnot, buy Lorinser or another aftermarket tuners merchandise in which you can justify your car as being a real Lorinser, because they are known for their body kits, wheels, etc., not for their engine performance modifications.
my 2 cents....
hmm. it's not the badge at fault. It's the person who is driving it. You really can't moderate like that. I mean there are bmw 318is trying to pass off as m3. So the badging thing is happening all over.

Next about your suggestion about Lorisner body kit or other body kit vs. AMG. What if you really like the AMG, why should u put on a different body kit? However, i don't think one should put AMG badge unless it's not an AMG. But it's a free country and you can't control idiots...

so yeah, that guy in the e320 dressed up as amg must have tried to race the M3, no wonder he got creamed and the bimmer guy thought he schooled an AMG. Well, the driver set himself up for that one by pretending to be an AMG.

Forget cars, haven't you run into people who claim they are this and that when they aren't...what did you do then...

i hope i did not offend you in anyway. I hear what you are saying, but unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world...

lil raja
Old 07-28-2002, 02:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Re: Re: What justifies an AMG badge...

Originally posted by pocholin

True, you can't stop people from putting ///AMG badges on their cars, but the way i see it is:
"As long as I go out there and beat every car I can with my true E55 ///AMG, I am rebuilding AMG's name", this should balance with the fakes
Lilraja and everybody in this discussion, I quote my self and stand by that.

Just friday night I kicked two riceburners at once (I guess it was a two for one night), when we stopped and they asked me why my car was so fast I explained the AMG deal, they were astonished.
Old 07-29-2002, 04:43 AM
Almost a Member!

C240
Re: Re: Re: What justifies an AMG badge...

Originally posted by pocholin

Just friday night I kicked two riceburners at once (I guess it was a two for one night), when we stopped and they asked me why my car was so fast I explained the AMG deal, they were astonished.
Hahahaha rice burner drivers are morons. They are so oblivious to all the other cars out there that can eat their cars up. These guys put on an HKS, Mugen, Greddy or whatever exhaust, some guages, roll cage and my favorite, a fire extinquisher and they think they can take on Mustangs. What's sad is that these are the type of guys that are most likely to put on an AMG badge because they got some AMG floor mats... that is if they ever got a Benz of course.
Old 08-11-2002, 01:01 AM

1998 C43
I think that without the engine, one should not have the AMG badges. There will always be people trying to impress others or maybe they just like the badges, either way if you sport the badges be ready to back it up.

I am going to debadge my AMG's and let everyone find out the hard way.

Funny thing, before I got my C43 my previous car was a C280. One day some kid in a Cadillac asked me what kinda car I had, I told him it was an M3.

Does that count as being an imposter? LOL

DLS
Old 08-11-2002, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
I saw a Dodge Neon with a CHROME fire extinguisher mounted inside of it.
Old 08-11-2002, 03:12 AM
Almost a Member!

C240
Originally posted by Denlasoul
if you sport the badges be ready to back it up.
amen
Old 08-12-2002, 09:06 AM

2001 CLK 320
"Justify" a badge. For a car.

You're kidding right?

This is such a bizarre elitist concept to me that I find it a tad difficult to understand. You are upset because someone, somewhere, might mistake a body kit equipped car for an engine modified car.

Compared to the list of ongoing disasters out there this ranks somewhere *below* the "oh no, a bird just pooped on my Benz" scale of importance.

I mean first of all, let's be dead honest about it. I've owned both MB's and BMW's. MB's are bigger, heavier, safer, more solid, more reliable and more stable than BMWs. They are also slower and more pillowy feeling. That's what you are buying for your money. German stolidity and that special "thunk" when you close the door.

BMW's are better in the corners and more responsive with a sportier feel to them and better suited for performance driving straight from the factory.

As to your fantasy scenario.. imagine the next time that M3 pulls up next to a lil ol CLK 320 and talks the talk.. only to find out after the fact that the word "Kleeman" on the left side of the trunk actually means something.

Stop worrying about badges. Only worry about the car.

.02 centavos, marked down from .05 for today only!

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Old 08-12-2002, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
Originally posted by Bouncer
imagine the next time that M3 pulls up next to a lil ol CLK 320 and talks the talk.. only to find out after the fact that the word "Kleeman" on the left side of the trunk actually means something.
A stock E46 M3 would easily be able to kill a CLK32k.
Old 08-12-2002, 06:47 PM

2001 CLK 320
So it would. Doesn't really change the fact that you're getting lathered up over a piece of metal with some letters on it though.

Think about it. Piece of metal. Some letters. That's all it is. And you're basing part of your self image on this.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Old 08-12-2002, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
So it would. Doesn't really change the fact that you're getting lathered up over a piece of metal with some letters on it though.

Think about it. Piece of metal. Some letters. That's all it is. And you're basing part of your self image on this.
WHAT? Have ever heard about LOGOS? TRADEMARKS?

A trademark, or "mark," is any word, phrase, symbol, design, sound, smell, color, product
configuration, group of letters or numbers, or combination of these, adopted and used by a
company to identify its products or services, and distinguish them from products and services
made, sold, or provided by others.

"The primary purpose of marks is to prevent consumers from becoming confused about the source
or origin of a product or service. Marks help consumers answer the questions: "Who makes this
product?," and, "Who provides this service?"

As consumers become familiar with particular marks, and the goods or services they represent,
marks can acquire a "secondary meaning," as indicators of quality. Thus, established marks help consumers answer another question: "Is this product or service a good one to purchase?" For this reason, the well-known marks of reputable companies are valuable business assets, worthy of
nurturing and protection."

http://www.ggmark.com/whatis.html#Trademarks

http://www.uspto.gov/main/trademarks.htm
Old 08-12-2002, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
And you're basing part of your self image on this.
i think you've hit bullseye...
Old 08-13-2002, 08:58 AM

2001 CLK 320
Karl,

All I can do is chuckle at your enthusiasm. I know what a trademark is, but thank you for the references. I also know it has bupkis to do with this discussion since these cars aren't being sold as AMG MB's by either MB, AMG, or some third party dealer.

To apply your argument this way would mean that those not officially entitled to wear a CoCa Cola logo'd object could no longer do so.

Do you work for Mercedes Formula 1 Team Karl? THEN TAKE OFF THAT HAT MISTER!!! You're diluting the brand for those of us that DO work for Mercedes/McClaren! My god! We might be confused with you by some schmoo from the Williams/Renault team! Horror!

Okay.. maybe that's a bit over the top.. how about this instead...

Fakir! You don't really work directly for MB!!! Take off that logo'd golf shirt!!!

That's really the argument you're making.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Old 08-13-2002, 10:18 AM

The Mercedes logoed golf shirt is a shirt created for mercedes fans. Most people who are knowledgeable about cars know that you can go into a mercedes dealership and buy one. When someone sees a person wearing a mercedes shirt, they don't assume that person works for Mercedes, they usually assume that person is either a mercedes fan or a mercedes owner, same story with the hat. Then again you have people wearing a mercedes hat or shirt to try to impress others and make them think they have a mercedes. As is the case with a lot of the AMG badging that goes around. Like Ahmed admitted, it's the status and respect you get when you have the AMG badge (Or in this case wear the shirt).

Think about it, does someone put badges on their car because they are a fan of that brand? Hell no! They want people to think they are more. Are the ricers Type-R fans and want to show everyone they are Type-R fans? No, they want people to think their car is faster and cooler than it really is. And the people who are rebadging their cars are usually not AMG fans, they want the status without the price. If they are just AMG fans, why don't they just put a bumper sticker or license plate cover on their car that says "I love AMG"? Why do they even have to express this feeling towards AMG on their vehicle? Buy a g@ddamn shirt! I like fried chicken but I don't have a KFC emblem on my car. It's because these people are usually not fans and they are just trying dope people into thinking they have an AMG, Type-R, M, whatever. If they were really just fans and wanted people to know they like AMG by putting the badges, why would they debadge the whole car from lets say a CLK320 to CLK55 AMG? Why can't they just put the little AMG badge and leave the CLK320?

Last edited by z3r0; 08-13-2002 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-13-2002, 01:24 PM

People who put AMG badges on non - AMG cars (cars that don't have an AMG engine) suffer from the inferiority complex. Doesn't matter if they have bodykits or whatever.
The engine is what defines the car, so it should be badged accordingly. When I look at the car I want to know what engine it's got, not who made that pretty bumper or sweet looking exhaust tips or whatever else. Who cares?! Hence if I see an AMG badge it's simply misleading if it isn't an AMG engined car. The point of this attempt to confuse someone is a pathetic attempt to gain some respect where it's not due or can't be earned in other ways.
I really don't see what's the point of confusion or argument here. It's the same people who put S600 badges on S280 or S320 who put AMG badges on their cars. Actually I could generalise it like that - whoever puts AMG badges on their cars has a problem in the attic if you know what I mean. Simply because AMG cars come equipped with AMG badges, so if you have to put it on yourself then it doesn't belong there.
Old 08-13-2002, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E 320
Originally posted by KnightRider
AMG cars come equipped with AMG badges, so if you have to put it on yourself then it doesn't belong there.
Damn, that was well said.
Old 08-13-2002, 02:39 PM

2001 CLK 320
So we've determined that people who badge their car are a bit ego oriented around a car. We've also determined that people who care about this badging are also a bit ego oriented around a car.

So really, they're just the different sides of the same coin. And they all need therapy at my very reasonable rate of 140.00 per half hour. 400.00 per half hour in the Maybach.

Then again I chose an Omega over a Rolex and my next watch is going to be an IWC. So maybe I'm a little nuts too.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Old 08-13-2002, 02:57 PM

You're on a frikin car forum callin car enthusiasts ego oriented?!?!?! Maaan, shut up! You have no argument. How does someone else putting an AMG badge on their car due to their own ego problems affect my ego? I don't drive an AMG or a car badged as an AMG. Does it hurt me? NO! We are just stating that those people have a problem and as car enthusiasts we think it is wrong to badge a car as something it isn't. It's that whole trademark thing all over again. You want to preserve the heritage of the name. Maybe I'm wacko for trying to preserve the soul of AMG cars, but then again I don't give a f*** what you think about me. Knight rider knows what's goin on. People think they aren't enough with that special AMG badge and want people to view them as more than what they are. They have no self confidence and try to impress people with their car instead of themselves. If you're not enough without the AMG badge, you won't be enough with it either!
Old 08-13-2002, 03:00 PM

Hey SL55AMG, I don't care who respects me because of my car. I was just stating what Ahmed said and he is one of those people that likes to rebadge. He claimed he rebadges so people will respect him and as I said before I think these people are a bit wack. You said it perfectly, they are worried about their small "Peepee" and need to make it up by having a bigcar!
Old 08-13-2002, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
So we've determined that people who badge their car are a bit ego oriented around a car. We've also determined that people who care about this badging are also a bit ego oriented around a car.

So really, they're just the different sides of the same coin. And they all need therapy at my very reasonable rate of 140.00 per half hour. 400.00 per half hour in the Maybach.

Then again I chose an Omega over a Rolex and my next watch is going to be an IWC. So maybe I'm a little nuts too.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Who cares whether you have a Rolex of Timex. If it's a Rolex, it's a $50 knock-off!!

Save your money and and buy an AMG keychain.

There are a lot of phonies amd imposters in this world.
Old 08-13-2002, 06:19 PM

2001 CLK 320
Karl,

The difference is I don't start topics about people wearing fake Rolex's or Omega's. And whether they are "justified" in doing so.

Seriously, I mean no ill will to the AMG owners. I just think this is kind of an odd topic and it gets a bit extreme when you tie up who you are, in whether or not your car has a little badge on it.

If I had the budget and I wanted a performance sedan I'd buy a Nowack IN500 M5 or maybe a Brabus C V8.

No badges necessary.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Old 08-13-2002, 06:36 PM

SL 500
SDS

interesting topic..

It was recently brought up during a friendly office chat, that people who like to pretend to have badges like AMG, M3, or what do desire to have the attention of others, for what:

ONE REASON ..SHOWOFF..but really, i could care less. Everyone has their personal agendas, which is all good. The ego thing as some of you noted is possibly true. Not only does that ego reflect on their automobiles by making their cars something they are not, but in their personal lives too..hence the term SDS a.ka. Small D*** Syndrome. ;-) Always concerned with what others think.. Two words. Be original.

djamer

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What justifies an AMG badge...