Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

What justifies an AMG badge...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not only does that ego reflect on their automobiles by making their cars something they are not, but in their personal lives too..hence the term SDS a.ka. Small D*** Syndrome. ;-) Always concerned with what others think.. Two words. Be original.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Hey Bouncer, way to avoid the subject and go offtopic, two thumbs up
Old 08-13-2002, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
That's the best excuse i've heard thus far! "People will respect me more if I have an AMG badge." If anything, you would LOSE respect from people. If someone needs an AMG badge to gain respect from people... well... nevermind, I won't say it.

Here is a perfect example; it's like one of those cheap parking lot security guards who have an ego problem and try to act like they are a real police officer.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:12 PM

LOL, rent-a-cops are great. They are also plentiful in schools these days!
Old 08-13-2002, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
Another example is a local cop trying to think they're an FBI agent .
Old 08-13-2002, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Originally posted by Accord
Another example is a local cop trying to think they're an FBI agent .
LOL...or vice versa, - because of the Janet Reno link.
Old 08-13-2002, 11:24 PM

2001 CLK 320
Hmm...

Be careful about that argument djammer. Primarily because it opens a counter argument..

Both groups (authentic and fake AMG'ers) have small weenies.

Only difference is budget.

Now before the knives and implements o' destruction are brought out let me make this VERY clear. I'm NOT making that statement about AMG owners or those who copy the vehicle styling. I will repeat this. I AM NOT MAKING THIS ARGUMENT ABOUT EITHER GROUP.

What I'm saying is that you might want to be careful about making the claim since really, both groups are basically subsets of the same larger group. People enthusiastic about AMG. The only REAL difference between the two is their financial footing. They both love the look and the performance, they both want the AMG badge FOR WHATEVER REASON. But only one group can afford the whole package.

So as to Justifying the badge.. Look at it this way for a moment.. If you care enough to find out who AMG is, to order the badges and/or body kit parts, to do the work necessary to get it on your car and painted and looking right... then you are clearly an AMG enthusiast. I'm not sure that this is more or less justification for a badge than someone who just strokes a check.

Finally, why any of you might think a car makes you any better or worse at satisfying your lover is truly baffling to me.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Old 08-14-2002, 12:33 AM

First of all SDS syndrome has nothing to do with the true size, it is just an example. It is actually more a measure of your ego. You are right about both of them having SDS (Small d!ck syndrome) some of the time. Remember, not all AMG owners want to show off, there are quite a few that know what they are buying. However, the guy who rebadges his car has SDS syndrome and so does the guy who knows nothing about the car and buys it only to show off. However, his hard work has led to him being able to afford that car. So for him it is a sort of bragging rights. If he is rich and he wants to show off, good for him he earned it. The guy who earned the AMG and appreciates the AMG brand is even better than the last guy who just earned it. Finally we come to the rebadger. Usually he or she has SDS and wants to show off something he or she doesn't have. He or she did not work hard for it they just want people to think they did. The AMG rebadger is usually not an enthusiast because if he or she was an enthusist they would not dilute the AMG name and they would learn to appreciate the lower model they own. It's a mercedes and they are proud of it, doesn't matter what others think. Remember, the guy who puts AMG on his car but leaves the CLK320 or 430 or 500 is a different story. He realizes what he has and isn't ashamed he also deserved the extra AMG for his AMG rims, ground effects, etc. He isn't lying about his engine!

Rebadgers are the loosers from highschool that either put tube socks in their pants or put tissues in their bra! (Hopefully not both)

Last edited by z3r0; 08-14-2002 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-14-2002, 08:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by z3r0
First of all SDS syndrome has nothing to do with the true size, it is just an example. It is actually more a measure of your ego. You are right about both of them having SDS (Small d!ck syndrome) some of the time. Remember, not all AMG owners want to show off, there are quite a few that know what they are buying. However, the guy who rebadges his car has SDS syndrome and so does the guy who knows nothing about the car and buys it only to show off. However, his hard work has led to him being able to afford that car. So for him it is a sort of bragging rights. If he is rich and he wants to show off, good for him he earned it. The guy who earned the AMG and appreciates the AMG brand is even better than the last guy who just earned it. Finally we come to the rebadger. Usually he or she has SDS and wants to show off something he or she doesn't have. He or she did not work hard for it they just want people to think they did. The AMG rebadger is usually not an enthusiast because if he or she was an enthusist they would not dilute the AMG name and they would learn to appreciate the lower model they own. It's a mercedes and they are proud of it, doesn't matter what others think. Remember, the guy who puts AMG on his car but leaves the CLK320 or 430 or 500 is a different story. He realizes what he has and isn't ashamed he also deserved the extra AMG for his AMG rims, ground effects, etc. He isn't lying about his engine!

Rebadgers are the loosers from highschool that either put tube socks in their pants or put tissues in their bra! (Hopefully not both)
I like this comment!
Old 08-14-2002, 09:50 AM

SL 500
Originally posted by pocholin

I like this comment!

I second that.. well said.
Old 08-14-2002, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Bouncer
The only REAL difference between the two is their financial footing.
Actually, the real difference is something like 135bhp .
Old 08-14-2002, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)

Actually, the real difference is something like 135bhp .
...and Weltanschauung & integrity!

http://home.t-online.de/home/hraith/english.htm
Old 08-14-2002, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
I wonder what the salesmen and other people at the dealership think when someone asks to buy AMG badges like that.
I heard of a guy actually getting questioned by the parts person when he asked for the amg emblem. H etold the parts guy that somebody stole his other one. The parts guy seemed happy with that.

Otherwise, you can find amg trunk emblems most any day on eBay, not to mention Brabus and Lorinser.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
AMG should be just that, a limited edition AMG model.

If you do want the AMG kit and accessories, ,maybe a sport badge (did Benz not sell sport editions in 97/98 i.e. AMG look, not AMG engines before they started importing them here), but not AMG.

Indeed they did. My '98 sport bodywork is done by AMG, as most posters here probably know already.

So if I wanted to stick on the emblem, I think I am only half a poser, right? You can't argue that AMG has touched the car.
If I leave the 430 on the other side, would that appease the E55 Gods?
:p
Old 08-14-2002, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
Originally posted by Bouncer

To apply your argument this way would mean that those not officially entitled to wear a CoCa Cola logo'd object could no longer do so.

Do you work for Mercedes Formula 1 Team Karl? THEN TAKE OFF THAT HAT MISTER!!! You're diluting the brand for those of us that DO work for Mercedes/McClaren! My god! We might be confused with you by some schmoo from the Williams/Renault team! Horror!

Okay.. maybe that's a bit over the top.. how about this instead...

Fakir! You don't really work directly for MB!!! Take off that logo'd golf shirt!!!

That's really the argument you're making.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
I'm confused. I have a t-shirt that says Old Navy on the front that was bought at Old Navy. I am neither old nor in the Navy. Can I wear it, or should I keep it in the closet?

Old 08-14-2002, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
I think you're final statement is a pretty solid argument (if it doesn't come with one, it doesn't belong), but I take offense to the inferiority assertion.
I happen to did the looks of the rear with the badge added, so I might add one for that reason. It has nothing to do with inferiority. Frankly, in my neck of the woods, 99.99% of drivers would have no idea what an AMG badge means. So who would I be trying to impress?

And on that note, around here you can barely toss a pebble without hitting a grey E320. But I've seen all of 1 e420 in the last year (and a nice, different, Burgundy one at that), let alone a Sport model.
Forget seeing a 55.
I just wonder why that is?

Originally posted by KnightRider
People who put AMG badges on non - AMG cars (cars that don't have an AMG engine) suffer from the inferiority complex. Doesn't matter if they have bodykits or whatever.
The engine is what defines the car, so it should be badged accordingly. When I look at the car I want to know what engine it's got, not who made that pretty bumper or sweet looking exhaust tips or whatever else. Who cares?! Hence if I see an AMG badge it's simply misleading if it isn't an AMG engined car. The point of this attempt to confuse someone is a pathetic attempt to gain some respect where it's not due or can't be earned in other ways.
I really don't see what's the point of confusion or argument here. It's the same people who put S600 badges on S280 or S320 who put AMG badges on their cars. Actually I could generalise it like that - whoever puts AMG badges on their cars has a problem in the attic if you know what I mean. Simply because AMG cars come equipped with AMG badges, so if you have to put it on yourself then it doesn't belong there.
Old 08-14-2002, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

On the 2003 S600 we have on order, it will only have that S600 badge on the left trunk, then the two V12 badges on the sides. What we're going to do is buy a third V12 badge and put it on the right trunk to fill that gap.

If i'm driving behind another Mercedes-Benz, the first thing I do is look in the right corner of the trunk to see if there is an AMG, Lorinser, Kleemann, etc. badge.

I see a TON of S430's and CLK430's every day, and I would say 50% of all of them have there cars rebadged with either S600 or AMG badges. It is common to see someone take off the zero on their CLK430 badge.
Old 08-14-2002, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
Interesting John. The only rebadge I've EVER seen up here is a '95 C280 with AMG wheels and the AMG logo stuck on the right side. I guess the northerner demographic up here isn't that creative.

Now, I did want to put a big "Powered By Honda" banner sticker at the top of my windshield as goof. But I thought the joke would be lost on these people around here.
Old 08-14-2002, 06:51 PM

This is a little OT, but I just noticed your signature. ROTFLMAO.

'98 E430 Sport - bone stock
Dual Meyco baby seats
Rear-mounted Juice Canister (apple)
That is so awesome, probably best sig I have seen yet!
Old 08-14-2002, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That is a funny signature, lol .
Old 08-14-2002, 09:37 PM
Out Of Control!

This is a little OT, but I just noticed your signature. ROTFLMAO.

That is so awesome, probably best sig I have seen yet!
Old 08-14-2002, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by LAMAY123

I think BMW 3 series owners out there have serious problems badging their cars correctly.

One day, I was driving down the street. Saw this possibly 2001 3-Series sedan w/ a M3 badge. I was like....geez...an automatic sedan......who is HE trying to fool! The blond girl at the passenger seat?
The M3's did come in 4-door automatic...
Old 08-14-2002, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Schumacher

The M3's did come in 4-door automatic...
The 2001 E46 M3 is a coupe and does not come in sedan form.

Last edited by Accord; 08-14-2002 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-14-2002, 11:20 PM

...And the people who are rebadging their cars are usually not AMG fans, they want the status without the price. If they are just AMG fans, why don't they just put a bumper sticker or license plate cover on their car that says "I love AMG"? Why do they even have to express this feeling towards AMG on their vehicle? Buy a g@ddamn shirt! I like fried chicken but I don't have a KFC emblem on my car.
It was a few years ago, but I debadged my M3 and put 'F.C.B.' badge as my support for Ronaldo. (F.C.B.= futbol club barcelona!!)
The badge was also real nice and well-made.
The funny thing is people actually came up to me and asked if FCB was some kind of exclusive BMW Tuner..
Old 08-14-2002, 11:31 PM

The 2001 E46 M3 is a coupe and does not come in sedan form.
Oops, I didn't read the '2001' part, my bad...
Old 08-15-2002, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Schumacher

Oops, I didn't read the '2001' part, my bad...
hehe, not a problem .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What justifies an AMG badge...