Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Factory test miles ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drive a E55T, SLK55 and 65 Mustang Conv.
Factory test miles ?

Hi all,
I have an E55T on order from the factory and just got a call from the dealer that they have it but that 85 "test" miles were put on it by the AMG/MB factory. They have a letter about it and everything. My question is, do they really do this and what is done with the car during these miles? I personally think they give the car to a big corporate spender to test drive for a few days but my husband says that they are very easy test miles done by the factory. Anyone know the scoop on this?
Old 05-11-2005, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E500
Originally Posted by Lady Wolf
Hi all,
I have an E55T on order from the factory and just got a call from the dealer that they have it but that 85 "test" miles were put on it by the AMG/MB factory. They have a letter about it and everything. My question is, do they really do this and what is done with the car during these miles? I personally think they give the car to a big corporate spender to test drive for a few days but my husband says that they are very easy test miles done by the factory. Anyone know the scoop on this?
Usually the "test" miles are from the dealers moving cars from their off site storage location to their lot. For example my dealer has an offsite lot about 2 miles away it's a big open lot with 1 security guard there, and they will move those cars frequently to the dealerships for wash, restock etc. So each time they move the cars it adds 4-5 mles to the odometer, I had a chance to check out their offsite lot and most of their cars there have under 10 miles on the odo.

So if your car has just arrived from Germany, 85 miles are a little excessive I would be wary it is been extensively test driven by the dealerships or by potential buyers. Use this test miles to your advantage and make them give you discounts.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML 320 CDI
AMG select a small percentage of cars and do test them, as far as I know nothing is stressed, high revved etc so if the garage has a letter stating why it has these miles on it I wouldn't worry.
If your still concerned ring AMG in Germany and ask them about it, I'm sure they will be more than happy to explain.