Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

New JD Power IQS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK500 Cabriolet
New JD Power IQS

Nice to see that MB has moved up a few slots on the JD Power Initial Quality Study, now beating Toyota and Infiniti. Still way behind Lexus and BMW, but the movement seems to be in the right direction.

http://jdpower.com/pdf/2005069.pdf
Old 05-19-2005, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Who cares about JD Powers. Their studies prove nothing and show nothing. I am glad that Mercedes has taken the "who gives a ****" approach.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:05 PM
Almost a Member!

Keep in mind how long "Initial Quality" is. 90 days of ownership. Hardly anything to get excited about. Even Jaguar is up there in the rankings. Korean car makers are also in the top eschelon of JD Power's IQS. Near worthless study in my estimation. Just a springboard for carmakers to push their wares as "quality built" cars, even when they are not. A car can have 3 problems per 100 vehicles the first 90 days and then fall apart after a year and it will rank highly. Or it can be built to last a long time but have some issues which are prevalent.

The one that matters, if at all, is their Vehicle Dependability Study. That measures a 3 year span.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:23 PM

CLK500 Cabriolet
What a gloomy group. I would rather have a car that didn't have any problems when I buy it than one that is immediately beset with issues. Of course, one has to wait and see, but my experience with a number of cars over the years has been that the most irritating problems (the kind it takes numerous visits to fix) usually show up in the first few months of ownership.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The reason these guys are making excuses is the same reason the Rockets made when they blamed the games on the Refs. Sore losers.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:52 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by lawprof
What a gloomy group. I would rather have a car that didn't have any problems when I buy it than one that is immediately beset with issues. Of course, one has to wait and see, but my experience with a number of cars over the years has been that the most irritating problems (the kind it takes numerous visits to fix) usually show up in the first few months of ownership.
Having a car with any problems is by any means not a favorable thing. My intention was not to hold MB on a pedestal. It is hardly my favorite marque. I just think that iqs is not the best indicator for overall reliability or quality.

Routinely top tier iqs companies fare very poorly in comprehensive quality tests. So in that respect, I would prefer a lower ranking iqs car with better overall reliability than a high ranking iqs car with a gloomy future ahead of it. All this aside I personally feel MB quality is not up to the standards that are expected of a premier luxury marque.

Cheers
Old 06-08-2005, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
i've actually never trusted the jd powers survey. hey, even in the 3-year study, what participants are asked are to rank how they like their cars. it is so subjective it might as well not be done. no surprise at all that budget cars tend to score higher while luxury marquees come down. and that any "car-of-the-moment" would score highly since its owners don't want to admit to problems. imho jd is nothing more than a marketing and advertising tool. i'll wait for a survey where they actually ask the car service people for hard numbers, not opinions.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Not that easy...

[QUOTE=i'll wait for a survey where they actually ask the car service people for hard numbers, not opinions.[/QUOTE]
So then you would get answers skewed by the most cars/models worked on, which is usually the most sold. I'd like to see surveys based on actual numbers of fatal problems and another with nuisance problems per unit sold. Not that nuisance problems aren't important, they are. But comparing cars for a features that are not equivalent is useless, and subjective comparisons are just that as well. Would you find as many people complaining about cabin noise in a KIA as those in an S500? But you would find equal complaints if their cars wouldn't start at all. Just my .02, surveys are only as good as the questions and audience. All that being said, my MB experience has been less than expected in the problem department. Despite the excellent driving experience when it is operating correctly I don't know that I want to put up with the anxiety, loss of time and money, and uncertainty with my next auto purchase. Second best performance is not that much less when all other factors are weighed. It's just transportation after all.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:55 AM
Almost a Member!

The JD Power Initial Quality Study also counts for dealer service and over all dealer quality.

Take those 2 out and Mercedes should be #1 with no problem.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:14 AM

2011 BMW 335d Sport Package
My 1988 Porsche 911 was #1 that year. The car was flawless and extremely reliable. I sold it at 146,000 miles, but not because of any reliability problems.