Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Does anyone know of a front license alternative?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 01:16 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 E55 AMG
Does anyone know of a front license alternative?

Last thing I want to do is ugly up the nice lines of my new car with a front license bracket. I plan on not putting it on, but incase I end up having to; does anyone know of a better way to display the front license without drilling holes into the bumper. I've done google searches for magnetic license brackets and turned up nothing.

I really don't want to drill into my front bumper, so any help is appreciated...
Old 10-20-2005, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Make sure you notify the dealer, in writing, that you don't want the front license plate bracket installed. Many posts in C forum on this subject. You'll have some time to figure it out after delivery and before you get your plates.....if you put on the front at all. 4 years without a front plate on my C and no problem so far. If you figure out a good system for mounting let us know.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:07 PM

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
2023 GLC 300 4MATIC
I need to know as well. I bought a Florida car with no front bracket since no front plates in Florida. I do not want to ugly up my E320 with a required front Ohio plate. Can I get away without and just tell the State trooper I am waiting on a bracket if I ever get pulled over??????
Old 10-23-2005, 04:36 PM

CLS-500, SL-500, BOXSTER-S
I have not had a front license plate for the past 15 years and in Hawaii it is required by law and for a safety inspection.

In the past my dealer accepted a letter from me clearing them of any legal problems I might encounter, but my last car, 6 months ago, was different.

Because of legal reqirements that all cars must be safety inspected before driven, the front bracket must be installed even if there is no plate attached

Stupid as it may sound, they said their hands were tied, but my sales rep offered to have the holes repaired by their shop after I took delivery, which is what I ended up doing. The repair job was excellent.

Ok, you are wondering what I did in the past to get through a safety inspection, right? I simply attached the bracket to the bumper with some double stick tape, got the inspection, then removed the bracket

In addition I have only been pulled over once by the local police for not having a plate. All they did is give me a warning
Hope this helps......
Old 10-25-2005, 12:33 PM

2005 C230K Sport Sedan, 6 speed manual
I am very fortunate to live in a state not requiring a front plate. That said, here are a couple ideas that come to mind.

1. Glue the plate to your front bumper using something removable like silicone sealer or rubber cement. Make sure to use a plastic or rubber backing plate behind the license, so it doesn't scratch your bumper paint. You will have to hold it while the glue dries. As mentioned in a previous post, double-sided tape can also work, just be sure it doesn't stick too hard.

2. Make your own bracket out of aluminum from your local hardware store. Bend the aluminum to 90 degrees and bolt it to the underside of your bumper, instead of the front. You still have to drill, but it won't be noticeable from the front. Use weatherstrip tape behind the license so it doesn't scratch the bumper face.

3. Move to another state.

Whatever you do, make sure the front bumper is insulated and protected from scratches.