Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Brake-By-Wire Discontinued

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake-By-Wire Discontinued

I saw this article in autoblog today:

Mercedes is said to be dropping the Bosch-developed Sensotronic Brake Control (SBC) by the middle of next year, with a conventional hydraulic braking system to appear on the CLS and facelifted E-class.

The brake-by-wire system is probably best known for causing two of the largest recalls in Mercedes history, with software to blame in the first and ominous “unspecified problems” triggering the second campaign. SBC was thought to be a significant competitive advantage when introduced four years ago, but quickly fell behind relative to technology advances in conventional brakes. Customers were said to be wary of the by-wire system’s reliability, and I don’t recall ever reading a review where the system received praise.

Will this mean that the future of brake-by-wire in general is in doubt? Certainly, this doesn’t bode well for any other manufacturer that’s looking to put the technology into production. In the auto industry, there’s typically little tolerance for failed attempts at early adoption.

Anyone care to comment?
Old 12-12-2005, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by slk55lvr
Anyone care to comment?
LOTS of discussion on the W211 forum about this since they are the ones stuck with it. I'll repeat my .02....good riddance, SBC does not offer anything special over conventional MB braking sytems that account for it's extra cost, weight, complexity, noise, or pad wear. It's a solution looking for a problem.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
mleskovar: kinda true in the USA, but that's because several features were deleted. especially the "traffic" features like SBC-HOLD and stop-start braking.

safety features like being able to keep the brakes dry even in wet conditions, and faster response in anticipation of an emergency, were touted as SBC advantages. and they did work. the thing is, the same thing can now be replicated without going through SBC.

for me, after driving my SBC E-class, i never felt comfortable with non-SBC cars as i had gotten used to the "bite" (which many others complained about). so it's kinda a loss to me that they are discontinuing it - nevertheless it no doubt would be good for sales to delete SBC.

just find it kind of funny that SBC is also present in the SL, SLR, and Maybach - but no one has complained about it in those applications!
Old 01-05-2006, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 - C220/2001 - ML430/ 2005 RX-330
I say good riddance. Even though there was a "safety" hydraulic backup (by using both feet hard if you are a little person) if the by-wire failed (which it did and does and will do more frequently as these cars age) most blue-hairs in my area who drive these cars lack the physical strength to press the pedal and also lack the quick reflexes and mental acuity to react quickly when they fail and they are dangers to everyone on the road.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by ruykava
just find it kind of funny that SBC is also present in the SL, SLR, and Maybach - but no one has complained about it in those applications!
Every review ever about a Mercedes with this brake by wire system has always gotten negative feedback . I've driven my mom's 2003 E320 which has SBC....and I think it sucks compared to my CLK55's brakes. I hate the feel of them. You only get used to it after driving it for a while. I never have to get used to my CLK's brakes.

Good bye SBC.