Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Kudos to Tafel Motors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Thumbs up Kudos to Tafel Motors

I stopped for a break in Lexington KY on my way to Louisville about 7pm on a friday evening. When I restarted the Benz, the check engine light came on. As it was too late to find any M-B service departments open, I continued to my intended destination, parked the Benz, and spent the weekend there as planned.

Monday morning, a service advisor with Tafel named Craig Borman worked me into the lineup for a diagnostic check. He informed me, in advance, that there would be a $95 charge. After that was performed, he said that one of the oxygen sensors was found to be faulty, but that the car was safe to drive the 200 miles back to my home. He added that I would see an increased fuel consumption, and explained why that would occur. Also, that if I chose to do that, he cautioned that I should not wait too long for the repair because I might do harm to the catalytic converter.

I asked, and he told me, that they had six (6) of the sensors in stock. He already had a price quote prepared, and said they could do it for me in about 45 minutes. I told him to proceed, and I was on my way after his estimated time of repair. Total cost: $350.14 (Parts $169.00 - Labor $171.00 - Tax $10.14).

This all took place over about a 3 hour period. I am primarily mentioning this because I didn't buy the car there, obviously had no appointment, and they were pretty darn busy.

If any of you are near Louisville, and need anything that a M-B franchise has to offer, I highly recommend Tafel Motors. And lastly, they are also an authorized Maybach dealer.

Musikmann

Last edited by Musikmann; 04-22-2006 at 06:19 PM. Reason: I left something out
Old 04-22-2006, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Read your post with mixed feelings.....2 hours charge to diagnose and change an oxygen sensor is why they are often called "stealerships". FYI...the sensor is $98 on line and it probably took 10 minutes max to diagnose and 15 minutes max to install (if that for either). If I'm off base someone correct me. Sounds like you were charged minimum 1 hour to diagnose and minimum 1 hour to repair. Good to hear they were understanding about your situation though.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 183 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
$350 is price to

1. Get "out of towner" service in timely fashion

2. Get service from CURRENTLY trained MB techs

3. Get genuine parts

4. Wait at a Merc dealership as opposed to Pep Boys

Time it really took and aftermarket parts prices are irrelevant.

If service was poor there would be reason for complaint. Along with Mercedes purchase, one purchases a level of expected service. If you want less, you can go elsewhere but then again if you want less why own a Mercedes in the first place? If and organization screws everybody, they won't remain in business long. OTOH many customers get what they ask for.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by lkchris
$350 is price to

3. Get genuine parts

If service was poor there would be reason for complaint. Along with Mercedes purchase, one purchases a level of expected service. If you want less, you can go elsewhere but then again if you want less why own a Mercedes in the first place? If and organization screws everybody, they won't remain in business long. OTOH many customers get what they ask for.
I'm glad he was happy enough with the service to post a recommendation. I was just putting it in proper perspective...the dealer was happy to take advantage of the situation because the margins are unrealistically high. People that "expect" to pay more just because they are 'privileged' to own a product have been drinking too much marketing kool aid.

1. Most dealers, any manufacturer, would extend the same courtesy to an "out of towner" in an emergency. I agree it's nice they did it though.
2. Not an issue here, simple scan, simple part replacement. Once again though, I agree this is a plus but not for twice the charge. Especially when most auto parts stores scan for free. It appears this dealer charged $95 to scan and did not include that as part of the fix labor time. Rip off, plain and simple. They had his car less than a half hour and charged him for two. That doesn't bother you?
3. Same parts. Bosch, Lucas, Mann, etc. provide the identical parts to the parts shops as they do MB. I've found MB markup to average 100% from what I pay. I think that's unacceptable and a blatant rip off. It should bother you that you are paying more for something for no reason....unless you can name a reason?
4. BFD. Doesn't impress me, especially when I'm paying to wait. If I was taking a vacation there it would make a difference. Pep Boys probably would do it quicker as well and the wait would be less. Even Pep Boys has good and bad mechanics just like MB.

Time IS relevant unless you have nothing better to do in your life than wait

I was very impressed when I was in Germany with how they handled service and repair (long time ago). Parts were cheap relative to what I expected to pay in the US. When the parts men sold them to me they were surprised that I would install them myself because their labor rates were so realistic....and they were.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool To: mleskovar

Originally Posted by mleskovar
Read your post with mixed feelings.....2 hours charge to diagnose and change an oxygen sensor is why they are often called "stealerships". FYI...the sensor is $98 on line and it probably took 10 minutes max to diagnose and 15 minutes max to install (if that for either). If I'm off base someone correct me. Sounds like you were charged minimum 1 hour to diagnose and minimum 1 hour to repair. Good to hear they were understanding about your situation though.
Hi mleskovar,
Thanks for your input. I thought after I posted that I should have asked everyone "Was this a fair transaction?".

I felt at the time that the job MIGHT have been a little pricey, and although I do realize that there is a lot of profit built-in for the dealers in replacement parts, I can't do the work myself.

I know of an M-B tech (currently employed by a local dealer - shh) near here who works on the side, and plan to use him for anything the dealer recommends in the near-to-$1000 range.
Musikmann
Old 04-25-2006, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool To: ikchris

Originally Posted by lkchris
$350 is price to

3. Get genuine parts

Hi ikchris.
Thanks for your input also.

I don't know if there is a Pep Boys "store" in Louisville, but the girlfriend did mention that there is a place there that has a good reputation for working on foreign autos (she couldn't remember the name) but we have a friend in the car business there who would certainly know who they are if I ever need help again.

Please, what does OTOH stand for?
Musikmann
Old 04-25-2006, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Red face To: mleskovar

2. Not an issue here, simple scan, simple part replacement. Once again though, I agree this is a plus but not for twice the charge. Especially when most auto parts stores scan for free. It appears this dealer charged $95 to scan and did not include that as part of the fix labor time. Rip off, plain and simple. They had his car less than a half hour and charged him for two. That doesn't bother you?

Hi again mleskovar,

The service advisor SAID, after he gave me the quote for the repair, that the labor charge included their $95 scan charge. Be that as it may, I have to agree that I was somewhat overcharged, but so far (fingers crossed) the Benz is behaving properly.
Thanks,
Musikmann
Old 04-25-2006, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by Musikmann
I know of an M-B tech (currently employed by a local dealer - shh) near here who works on the side, and plan to use him for anything the dealer recommends in the near-to-$1000 range.
Musikmann
That's the way to go if you don't do it yourself. But some jobs the independent mechanics (and moonlighters ) don't have the specialized tools for (but not many) and you need the dealer. Order the parts you can for him off the net and you'll save on parts and labor. If people keep paying over twice the value for dealer repairs they'll keep charging what they do. Think about it....a fully utilized mechanic at dealer labor rate ($95/hr here) is $160K/yr. income for the dealer (more if they charge like the one you went to!) and I bet the majority of the mechanics don't make half that.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Smile To: mleskovar

Originally Posted by mleskovar
That's the way to go if you don't do it yourself. But some jobs the independent mechanics (and moonlighters ) don't have the specialized tools for (but not many) and you need the dealer. Order the parts you can for him off the net and you'll save on parts and labor. If people keep paying over twice the value for dealer repairs they'll keep charging what they do. Think about it....a fully utilized mechanic at dealer labor rate ($95/hr here) is $160K/yr. income for the dealer (more if they charge like the one you went to!) and I bet the majority of the mechanics don't make half that.
WOW! I've heard that the service departments keep these dealerships (not only M-B but others) in business, but I never did the math! And I have no idea what the dealers pay the technicians, but as you said, thy can't be making that much $.

Thanks for the feedback and advice,
Musikmann