Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Probs being a young MB driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by JOESID
What I think is worse than someone seeing you, is telling someone what you drive. I usually play the "old mercedes" card even though its a '99
I know what you mean. I usually play the "old mercedes" card too, but a bit more literally than you! LOL

The police see the C-Class and just assume its some older woman
JOESID, how closely do you resemble "some older woman"? Couldn't resist, but J/K...
Old 05-17-2006, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1993 300SEL/S320
FORGET what I said!!! you guys are right. I usually just tune out other drivers expressions. But yeah,I get tons of stares in my car. Mostly older people. What I think is worse than someone seeing you, is telling someone what you drive. I usually play the "old mercedes" card even though its a '99. And when they finally see what it looks like, they get bitter over it. The Mercedes name really is more powerful than I thought it was.
You have no idea, this guy thought that my car was brand new, it is in good condition but it's a 1993. Think that because MB was so far ahead of the other car maker during the 80's and 90's that most people don't even realise. Besides not many people own MB here its all japanese cars.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also feel like someone see's me coming and cuts me off because of the car. Anyone notice that?
Old 05-17-2006, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
I also feel like someone see's me coming and cuts me off because of the car. Anyone notice that?

Its call driving a Mercedes or BMW... Happens to people of all ages. I find that I get more road rage when I am driving the BMW vs Mercedes, but I think its because the BMW is a car and the Merc is an SUV and when an SUV is going fast people dont cut in front of you.

Race might be a reason why you get pulled over but 99% of the time if they are behind you and pull you over they cant tell if it is a M/F white, yellow, black person. Who knows maybe you did make an illegal turn or didnt use a turn signal. After talking with people who say they where pulled over for BS I usually conclude that the cop had the right to pull them over it might not be what they say they pulled you over for but lets face it under the law driving is not a right its a privilege and their are so many laws its almost impossible to follow them all.

And I am ok with getting pulled over for no reason since I am not doing anything wrong and have nothing to worry about and 99% of the time I wont get pulled over even when I am doing something wrong. But so far I have only gotten pulled over when I deserved to get pulled over, I even got pulled over one night leaving my friend house because they had a report of some kids egging cars, heck I didnt mind sure it wasted 5 mins of my time but give the cops a break.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:34 AM

OLD: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, NEW: 2007 SLK350
Originally Posted by 1985MB380SE
Bangladesh --- represent! Haha, what are the chances?
Not much... born and raised in the poorest most populated country, I'm proud to see people climb up the social ladder and come this far... :-)

When people talk to me, they are amazed how much I know about US pop culture and that I actually speak "American" English...

... so everyone should get to know other people before making a quick judgment!
Old 05-18-2006, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ
Who knows maybe you did make an illegal turn or didnt use a turn signal. After talking with people who say they where pulled over for BS I usually conclude that the cop had the right to pull them over it might not be what they say they pulled you over for but lets face it under the law driving is not a right its a privilege and their are so many laws its almost impossible to follow them all.

And I am ok with getting pulled over for no reason since I am not doing anything wrong and have nothing to worry about
Yes, it's a privilege and people do get justifiably pulled over. I am not talking about any instances where I might have been justifiably pulled over. I gave you an instance of where it was clearly not justified. I have given you all the facts -- you can conclude whatever you wish.

PS: Just because you are OK with "getting pulled over for no reason" does not make it any more right and perhaps not everyone can take the same patient/philosophical view that you do. When it happens frequently, I can imagine it's not easy to take such a patient/philosophical view.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by shahedC
Not much... born and raised in the poorest most populated country, I'm proud to see people climb up the social ladder and come this far... :-)

When people talk to me, they are amazed how much I know about US pop culture and that I actually speak "American" English...
I'd be willing to engage in a "meaningful" conversation about Seinfeld or The Sopranos any time....
Old 05-26-2006, 11:42 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by rlee02135
what does he do...sell drugs
Nope, no drugs involved. He's a good smart russian kid. He started out in a business with his family. I think today he's still part of it. They own 3 furniture stores. No they don't sell cheap chinese furniture. I got part of my bedroom from them. Over $3,000 spent. They have good quality stuff. Worth it.

He knows what he's doing.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:10 AM
Almost a Member!

1995 Infiniti G20tA
I dont understand why you people are getting pulled over? Isn't there a reason? IE speeding. I'm 19 and have a '99 C230 and don't feel "all that" driving around in it. Maybe its because I live in MA and people dont seem to care anyless about what others drive and more about being awful drivers.
Good, more young W202 drivers. Did you have to convince your parents to let you get one or were they cool with it? I'm trying to convince mine to let me get a 2000 C280 Sport. I also live in Massachusetts, and you are definately right that most people don't give a W202 a second glance...they're too busy giving another driver the finger.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 188 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
I went from a Lexus to a BMW and soon something else. I drive like a badass.
I don't give a crap what others think. I am who I am and I love it!

Don't pay no attention to others, if they touch your car, break their legs.
Absolutely right. I love my car, appreciate it, and drive it for my personal enjoyment - never have I once "bragged" about it. People give me looks all the time. Driving through town with the top down, I get stares. Walking up to it at a parking lot, I get stares. Just last Thursday I was leaving the gym and coming to HS lot where some old man in an early 90's SL (two tone black and grey with beige interior) was parking there - probably for some event at my school. I go to tell him it's nice to see those R129's out and offer a compliment to his car, but he give me this dirty "look-down" upon glare before I get the chance. OK. I walk up to my car, get it, lower the soft top and drive off. He nearly turned purple. Jealous people by nature have the tendency to hate others and label them as something they're not. I drive my car for my own personal enjoyment, and really could give a **** what any hater has to say. A few months ago, I am cruising about with my brother (top down) and see a red SL500 sport (also top down). The man driving it appeared to be in his late thirties and we both exchanged a friendly wave to a fellow R129 lover. That's the philosophy people should have - respect oneself and respect those who show you respect. Bragging is truly for the insecure, for someone with something to prove. Because when envy comsumes one, they are too busy to enjoy themselves.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:35 PM
Banned

03 SL 500 Launch Edition, 98 ML 320 (sold), 01 S 500 (sold), 03 CLK 55 (sold)
I know what you mean

In my case, I live in LA, but when I first got my car when I was a Senior in High School, I got a lot of looks, even when I drive the S Class I get a lot of looks. Especially when my windows or top is down I get a lot of looks. I figured, just drive and don't care about what other people think. Enjoy your car, your life, and if people are jealous whatever . The other day I was driving the porsche going 35 just driving like a normal person. This lady is trying to make a left and I am approaching her, she doesn't wait for me to pass, she just goes and I have to slam on the breaks, pull the E brake and Make a hard left into a residential street . Some people are just jealous and especially a kid in a nice car, they just want to bring you down.
That is why I never will get tints, I will let everyone see that I am young and they can go f**k themselves if they cut me off or tail gate me or whatever. I don't care. Benz Pride
Old 05-28-2006, 12:16 AM
Almost a Member!

1995 Infiniti G20tA
I've even experienced it with my Infiniti...even though my car is a 1995 you couldn't tell it by looks, the car is black and whenever possible kept to a perfect shine so it looks new. It's nowhere near an S500 but I've still gotten a few dirty looks, especially when I pull into the dealer for service the other customers there (who tend to be a lot older than me) tend to give me the cold shoulder or glare at me.

I really don't understand it. I had classmates in high school whose parents gave them brand new Audis and BMWs for their 16th birthdays. Did that make me jealous or angry about the fact that I had to work two summers to afford a used Infiniti? Not in the least. I don't even notice most expensive cars on the road, an S-class or 7-series doesn't often really merit a second glance from me, and I certainly don't feel jealous if the driver is young. Jealousy won't get anyone anywhere.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 188 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Originally Posted by ShervSL500AMG
In my case, I live in LA, but when I first got my car when I was a Senior in High School, I got a lot of looks, even when I drive the S Class I get a lot of looks. Especially when my windows or top is down I get a lot of looks. I figured, just drive and don't care about what other people think. Enjoy your car, your life, and if people are jealous whatever . The other day I was driving the porsche going 35 just driving like a normal person. This lady is trying to make a left and I am approaching her, she doesn't wait for me to pass, she just goes and I have to slam on the breaks, pull the E brake and Make a hard left into a residential street . Some people are just jealous and especially a kid in a nice car, they just want to bring you down.
That is why I never will get tints, I will let everyone see that I am young and they can go f**k themselves if they cut me off or tail gate me or whatever. I don't care. Benz Pride
That's right bro, we just gotta enjoy 'em.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:37 AM

Mommy drives a '93 Opel Astra
Guys, you shouldn't worry about all that stares!! you all got great lives (just from the financial side)!
When I am 18 in 3 years I will not have any of these rides. the best thing I get would most likely be a used VW Golf station wagon.

you're right - the people who stare at you are jealous, purely jealous!

enjoy ya rides, it could be worse!
Old 05-30-2006, 03:59 PM

OLD: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, NEW: 2007 SLK350
Originally Posted by 1985MB380SE
I'd be willing to engage in a "meaningful" conversation about Seinfeld or The Sopranos any time....
yeah, like "Hellooooooooo" .. and "Fuhgeddabouddit"...
Old 12-10-2006, 02:01 PM

Porsche Cayenne S, MB E430, & M3
i am still a FOB.
get dark tints, no one needs to know who is driving inside.

i got my first german car a bmw 3 series when i was 18 and man i had to hear so much **** from uncle + aunts about being spoiled. bla bla *****n...
Old 12-10-2006, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by patrick_y
You guys all need to move to California's major cities (San Francisco and Los Angeles area) where Mercedes is very accessible and considered normal. Enjoy California's roads, weather, and your cars will thank you for the same reasons. Actually CA's roads aren't that great, you get some potholes in some towns (like the one I'm in has lots of potholes).
True. In my city a large part of the car population is bmw or mb.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

In the market
Don't sweat it! They don't know you!
Old 12-10-2006, 08:58 PM

not stock.
well... im 18, & I LOOK 18.... I drive a modded SLK.. that stands out mostly cuz of the HIDs, slammed look and booming exhaust note when i overpass or gun it.... this car was passed down to me from my dad as a graduation gift, and even though he "gave it" to me... im the one paying to keep it (insurance, service..repairs) & all my mods... anyways, here in Miami you could say that the amount of late model exotics & european cars (specially mb, bmw & porsche) will scare you.... if there is a new rare model, its here... & the amounts of modded late model MBs is also amazing.... BUT: even though i drive an old-model SLK that still seems to catch some attention I still get: hated by the average cop, stared at while at a red light from your middle age women and male... many people automatically assume your a rich snob because you drive a convertible benze before taking into consideration that they can by the same car for the same than your average economy family sedan... but, im never shy to tell some one what I drive (as long as the insist to know), I wont normally tell a girl what i drive, I normally wait for her to find out or really bring up the topic... but living in a city where Junior & Senior high school students drive CLKs, Corvettes, M3s, Range Rover "sport" among others..... I dont really feel overwhelmd most of the time.. and btw, im Venezuelan and look VERY latin, so I do get the typical "hes a drug dealer" kind of looks & comments everyonce in a while..
Old 12-10-2006, 11:59 PM

Received 181 Likes on 120 Posts
19 X3, 24 Tacoma Trailhunter, 25 CLE53
I guess Audi's don't have the clout of MB or BMW. I drive both an A6 & a Dodge Ram on a regular basis, and I find drivers tend to get out of my way while in the Audi and try to get in front of me while in the truck. Personally I try to get in front of trucks or SUV's when ever I can, since I can't see around them while in the car.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by OJwerks
..... I dont really feel overwhelmd most of the time.. and btw, im Venezuelan and look VERY latin, so I do get the typical "hes a drug dealer" kind of looks & comments everyonce in a while..
Lol.. I get those comments all the time. I had a cop pull me over and search my car cuz I fit the profile of a drug dealer. I should start keeping bricks of powdered sugar in my trunk. ...could make for a good story
Old 12-11-2006, 07:09 PM
Kaz

-
anyone who devalues the character of someone else due to their status (car) is doing to so face the full reality of their condition. and besides since everyone is entitled to their opinion, you can be sure that's how it looks to them.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:26 PM

1998 E320
Hmm, I just turned 17 and drive a 1998 E class. A lot of friends always think of me as "spoiled" when i'm the one that paid for the car, and all the mods. What many people don't realize for some reason is that the 2006 honda civic two cars next to me that is being driven by a teen is worth more than mine. It's just the MB name that gives me the "spoiled" look.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Dont pay attention to other people its really that simple, only you can let other people bother you. If you are getting out of your car or getting in and someone says something just say ow this is my dads car my car is in the shop, I use that all the time with my car. And when people ask what type of car you drive just say like an E class or C class, I say just a 3 series then most people think ow an older 3 series car or something.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML320, Looking for my S4
i bought my e320 when i was 16. paid for it by working as a waiter. It taught me a lesson on the value of a doller. But i love etting dirty looks driving my benz. I'm 17 and those dirty looks make me feel awsum. ilive in a mostly jewish/ russian neighborhood and i find it awsum how i rool around in a benz sometimes blasting duhast. besides benzes and girls go hand and hand

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Probs being a young MB driver?