Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

I guess it's time to give up on MB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 12:29 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
Vadim,
That is a generous offer and I will be calling you although I'm not sure what you can do. If you can help me in any way, I will be quick to post that, especially for a guy and dealership that didn't sell me the car. Hell, the offer alone gets you my vote.

Thank you Mark!

Call me, I will be in all day, today - Monday and back on Wednesday afternoon - 949.584.4446.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 06C230
That sucks to hear everything you've been going through. It's also sad that mercedes treats people this way. I have an issue with me car. It's been into the shop twice for the problem. The first time it was in they said the found and fixed the problem. After I picked it up i noticed that it was not fixed so back in it went. They had it for a week this time, they found the problem and were trying to fix it. The shop forman was the one working on my car for the week. He was on the phone with mercedes trying to figure out how to fix the problem. After a week of this I get a call from the dealer telling me it's normal. I call BS. If it's normal my car would not have been in the second time. They would not have told me there was a problem and they're trying to fix it which after a few days they told me they couldn't fix it. If they can't fix a problem they just say it's normal for the car to do that. I think it's just plain stupid. I will be selling both of my mercedes soon.
Its almost like they dont care,I cannot believe all of the posts regarding MB's poor service ,damn there is nothing worse than being ignored(or so said my ex wife before she took me to the cleaners).
Old 08-01-2006, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
They do not care. I'll call Vadim and let Laguna Niguel take a shot at it. It's almost 2 1/2 hours from my house, but obviously, S.S. and/or the "factory rep." don't have a clue. Taking out some trans fluid did nothing for how it shifts. It's still quite a long time to get drive after backing out of the driveway cold, and it has the same "shudder" on gentle upshifts. It might never fail and be fine for the life of the car, but I'm a long time car guy and I KNOW when something isn't quite right. I'm beginning to believe the stumble is the SC engaging, but it isn't consistent and no one else seems to have the problem, so if that's "the way it is" on my car, I'd like to know what the cause is before I right it off to the design of the SC. As far as the brakes and/or suspension "clunking" over speed bumps, I will punch the next SOB that tells me "all W211 chassis do that". Give me a break here. If it can't be identified and fixed, that's one thing, but to tell anyone that "they all clunk like that" is just total B.S. The highway droning is just what I suspected it is and because it's a design f*ck up, they won't even right it up. With the gearing the car has, it runs right at 2200 RPM at 72 MPH and the droning is very noticeable. It's not like my old 1970 Chevelle SS, and I expect that type of exhaust note from a big block Chevelle, a truck, or some other type of hot rod, but not a 100K MB, at least not at the speeds the car will normally be operated at. I guess I'll have to live with that since I'm not putting a dime into it to change the RPM the exhaust resonates.

Last edited by Fast55; 08-01-2006 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I spoke to Vadim on the phone last week. His suggestion was to get in touch with a very well respected forum member who has LOTS of contacts at multiple dealerships. He gave me a name of a friend? at FJ by the name of Mike Swisstac since I bought the car there. Last Thursday I left Mike a voice mail, and never heard back. The same day, the car started making a wierd squeel just as you tip into the brakes. It sounded as if it was coming from the master cylinder or something else under the hood and could be felt in the pedal. Then just as quickly as it started, it stopped. Man I am glad this POS is only a lease. I know I can't stop them from re-selling it to some unsuspecting customer, but at least I can post the VIN here and tell all forum members where it gets dumped in another 34 months.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update:

Had the squeeking brake pedal again last week. Took it up to 45-50 mph around the corner from my house and stomped the pedal. Stopped OK, and the noise is gone again. Now just yesterday I got a shifter full of neutrals leaving Lowes. I came to a stop and shut the car off. After re-starting, it goes into drive again. Glad there's nothing wrong with it since there are no codes. Good grief this is B.S.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:39 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic Wagon
A sad tale that such a nice car should be so bad. But I wonder:

Clearly there are multiple things horribly wrong with the car. If you simply LEFT them broken for the duration of your lease, what would the dealership do when you returned it? Would they claim you failed to maintain it, even though they claimed there was nothing wrong?

If it's a lease, maybe you shouldn't care and just beat the hell out of it. Have the dealerships document on your service slips that there's "nothing wrong" and use it against them if (when) they try to stick you in the end.

Good luck.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:17 AM

E220cdi Estate Avantgarde March 2008
Originally Posted by FireFox31
A sad tale that such a nice car should be so bad. But I wonder:

Clearly there are multiple things horribly wrong with the car. If you simply LEFT them broken for the duration of your lease, what would the dealership do when you returned it? Would they claim you failed to maintain it, even though they claimed there was nothing wrong?

If it's a lease, maybe you shouldn't care and just beat the hell out of it. Have the dealerships document on your service slips that there's "nothing wrong" and use it against them if (when) they try to stick you in the end.

Good luck.
Why can't you use the lemon laws?
Old 08-29-2006, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Much tougher to get a lease bought back than a purchase. I'm almost wishing I HAD bought it for that reason. I'm holding on to my paperwork for sure. In the mean time, I'm just happy to spread the word about my car and MB in general.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Fast55
Much tougher to get a lease bought back than a purchase. I'm almost wishing I HAD bought it for that reason. I'm holding on to my paperwork for sure. In the mean time, I'm just happy to spread the word about my car and MB in general.
Why can't you use the lemon laws?
Old 08-30-2006, 01:18 PM

You are taking all this way to lightly ... you shouldve *****ed and moaned and made a HUGE scene the first WEEK... not let it get drawn out this long... good luck getting anything done at this stage.

You need to PUSH the guys at the dealership, obviously you didn't make a good enough of a relationship with the sales guy.

At all 3 dealerships where I have bought cars, multiple cars at 2 of them, they all knew me by first name when I purchased my first car.
My MB SL55 I didn't even buy from the MB Dealership I go to, I bought it across the freeway from Land Rover, but I deal directly with the highest ranking sales agent in Houston/Texas and I even get all my services that are not covered under warranty, for free.

My sales agent at Land Rover gets me hooked up everytime I buy a car there - you NEED to make a relationship with your sales agent if you want any sort of preferential treatment.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't need or want preferential treatment, just a fix of the problems. I don't see what making an a$$ of myself at the dealership would accomplish. I elevated the problems through MBUSA customer service and they dispatched a "factory rep" to look at the car on it's THIRD trip to Silver Star. They claim all the problems are "normal for this model". Fletcher Jones is over 100 miles away, and trust me, if I ever buy another Benz, it won't be from FJ. A relationship with a salesman is worthless from a service standpoint. My salesman at FJ chose to ignore me when I had a problem. If you're getting free service because of a relationship with your salesman, my hat's off to you. I suspect it's because you bought multiple vehicles there, not because the salesman has any real influence over their service department. The service advisor at S.S., Dave Hollander, is a nice guy, but he doesn't work on the cars and he can only repeat what he is told by his techs and the "factory rep". If the highway "drone" is normal, then MB and AMG, LEARN TO DESIGN THE EXHAUST SYSTEM PROPERLY. I can live with that because I can change/fix it although it should still be the factory's problem. If the "stumble" is the SC engaging, then SHOW ME THAT, I'll live with it. I won't be convinced the clunking over speed bumps is normal no matter who tells me that. SHOW ME WHAT IS CAUSING THE NOISE AND WHY IT CAN"T BE FIXED. The trans is obviously flawed and taking out some fluid because it was over filled did not fix it and the lack of any "codes" does not mean all is well. I'm not inclined, nor do I have the time, to drive this thing to multiple dealerships dozens or hundreds of miles away to hear the same bull****. As far as it being a lemon, I have forced Chrysler to buy back a Grand Cherokee, and Chevy to repurchase a Z71 truck. It isn't easy. Unless the vehicle strands you repeatedly or it's problems are safety related, it's not easy when the mfg. fights you. Both of the buybacks went to arbitration before they were told to suck it up and give me my money back. I am considering at least asking that MB buy it back after the trans freaked last Sunday, but I have yet to hear of ANYONE who got MB to buy back ANYTHING without a fight.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:24 PM
Banned

2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
Thumbs down So Cal Benz Dealers and Service up north

I have a couple friends that have had bad issues with both
Silver Star and Calabasas MBZ service departments.

My friend that lives in Calabasas goes to
my dealer here in OC. Caliber off the 91 in Anaheim.
I have a great SA and get a loaner and great service
and did not buy either of my cars there.
Maybe give them a try ? Ask for Robert R. Team Manager

Did Vadim get you anywhere with MBLN ?

As far as FJ. Thats a tough nut to crack.
I just never got a good feeling from anybody at that place ever.
But persitance pays. Get the service manager to drive it for a few days
and take it home. See how he likes pulling out with a tranny that wont hook up in the cold. Or the growl on the freeway at 72. Just dont take no for an answer. Stay firm. Not mean.

Good luck.
FYI: I met Robert Allen at the AMG Challenge. He does exist.
I have his card. Will get the E-mail address and post.

Last edited by bltserv; 08-31-2006 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:06 PM

C32
Originally Posted by bltserv
I have a couple friends that have had bad issues with both
Silver Star and Calabasas MBZ service departments.

My friend that lives in Calabasas goes to
my dealer here in OC. Caliber off the 91 in Anaheim.
I have a great SA and get a loaner and great service
and did not buy either of my cars there.
Maybe give them a try ? Ask for Robert R. Team Manager

Did Vadim get you anywhere with MBLN ?

As far as FJ. Thats a tough nut to crack.
I just never got a good feeling from anybody at that place ever.
But persitance pays. Get the service manager to drive it for a few days
and take it home. See how he likes pulling out with a tranny that wont hook up in the cold. Or the growl on the freeway at 72. Just dont take no for an answer. Stay firm. Not mean.

Good luck.
FYI: I met Robert Allen at the AMG Challenge. He does exist.
I have his card. Will get the E-mail address and post.
Scary thing is FJ recently took over Claridge's MB in Fremont up in the SF Bay Area. Those roaches have spreaded north.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:14 PM
Banned

2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
AMG Private Lounge

To the original OP

You should post some of your experiences here.

I would try to stay positive.
But be critical of FJ and the lack of support for resolution
to your valid service issues.

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/privatelounge/index.php
All you need is your VIN# to have an account.

I know the AMG Management is paying attention to this
forum.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:44 PM

SL500
Fast55, As I've mentioned I had a 2005 CLK55 bought back by MB, it was a lease. Your best bet is to keep a running tab of your problems and e-mail them to Rob Allan. I understand you have tried to contact him in the past but he is out of the office frequently and receives a flood of e-mails (this is what he told me when I spoke to him at the AMG Challenge). Just keep e-mailing him/calling him, eventually he will respond.

IMO MB dealers/service is terrible, if I were you I'd be so angry I wouldn't be able to stand up straight. It sucks to hear that you are going thru this, but if I were you I'd focus on Rob, he's your best bet to get this car bought back.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not a bad idea. I'm already registered since this is my second AMG. In the mean time, according to the lady I talked to at MBUSA yesterday, their policy is to buy back a vehicle according to the rules in your state. As I pressed her for an explanation, it became obvious that they NEVER buy back a thing unless they are forced to. I was told to contact the S.M. at Silver Star since it's been there for service. I called and have ANOTHER appointment for the transmission. I doesn't sound as if anything else will be addessed, although I will re-state all problems for the record and I told him of a couple of other "glitches" that it hasn't been in for:

1. Last Saturday, me & m'lady returned home in the Yukon with baby. I opened the garage to haul in the shopping trip booty and the trunk on the E55 was wide open!! I've never heard of a MB mysteriously opening it's trunk all by itself, but I guess somebody had to be the first to experience that!

2. It's been at least a month, and I WAS going to bring the car in for this, but it "fixed itself". The COMAND stopped updating the radio station frequency and was "stuck" on one channel. The stations could be changed, but the dash and instrument cluster displays were stuck on 95.5 FM. I tried turning the unit on and off several times, switched between Sirius, CD's, and the radio, but no luck. I was actually headed to Silver Star from my office to make an appointment and stopped by FedX. When I came out and re-started the car, it was fine.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:40 PM
Banned

2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
Rob Allen @ AMG

Originally Posted by MBZman
Fast55, As I've mentioned I had a 2005 CLK55 bought back by MB, it was a lease. Your best bet is to keep a running tab of your problems and e-mail them to Rob Allan. I understand you have tried to contact him in the past but he is out of the office frequently and receives a flood of e-mails (this is what he told me when I spoke to him at the AMG Challenge). Just keep e-mailing him/calling him, eventually he will respond.
As far as contacting Rob Allen @ AMG

I agree. When I spent just a few minutes with Rob you could tell this guy was sincere. And he repeated several times how much AMG depended on the American market, and specifically the So Cal Market. Its huge numbers for AMG. He really wanted input and offered himself available.

I would send him a positve type e-mail asking him for suggestions.
He could wave his "magic wand" and all will be forgiven.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:23 PM

As far as contacting Rob Allen @ AMG

I agree. When I spent just a few minutes with Rob you could tell this guy was sincere. And he repeated several times how much AMG depended on the American market, and specifically the So Cal Market. Its huge numbers for AMG. He really wanted input and offered himself available.

I would send him a positve type e-mail asking him for suggestions.
He could wave his "magic wand" and all will be forgiven.
Then why can't he answer his blasted e-mails. I really hate dealing with people like that. Supposed to be professional.

And if AMG are watching this thread as some have said where the hell are they. Fast55 raised these problems on June 26th and we are in September in about half an hour. Not good enough. Anyone who has read my other postings will know I am a real Mercedes-benz enthusiast. But this is just not anywhere near good enough. Not even half way. If you are there AMG do something.

Last edited by hawk20; 08-31-2006 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:47 PM
Banned

2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
September just vaporized on us

Originally Posted by hawk20
Then why can't he answer his blasted e-mails. I really hate dealing with people like that. Supposed to be professional.

And if AMG are watching this thread as some have said where the hell are they. Fast55 raised these problems on June 26th and we are in October in about half an hour. Not good enough. Anyone who has read my other postings will know I am a real Mercedes-benz enthusiast. But this is just not anywhere near good enough. Not even half way. If you are there AMG do something.
Hawk20
I know its late. But its not going to be October for a few weeks ?
Double check that calendar page. I think you may have an extra page in hand
when flipping from August to the next month.

FYI:
I dont think AMG watches this forum at all. But they do pay attention to the
AMG offical forum on their private lounge website.
http://www.mercedes-amg.com/privatel...rums/index.php

AMG Product manager and his E-mail: IMHO
As far as E-mails go. I own a company and have my email screened.
So I only see ones to my private box or ones that pass my assistant.
And when I travel it can take weeks if you are not an established customer or someone we have no record of working with. Its just what happens in larger corporations. You need to have referrals and go thru channels first.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:07 PM

Hawk20
I know its late. But its not going to be October for a few weeks ?
Oh thanks. Passed midnight here. Should be in bed. Edited to say it is now September. How time flies when you read a good forum!

Last edited by hawk20; 08-31-2006 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:11 PM

Here's how you resolve the problem...

I too, have had many Benz's... and Silver Star knows me well, as I have a home in WLV. E-mail me the best way to contact you and I will get you in touch with the service rep who will be sure to find codes on your E-shiftyFive. I had an '06 E350, fresh off the boat... in April 2005 (from Calabasas), only to be TOWED after 495 miles. Ended up at Keys' Eurpean in the middle of the day on a Friday. No loan cars available, so I had to rent at Enterprise, and wouldn't my luck have it, they only had one car left on Van Nuys Blvd... an E350. Long story short, I was stuck with a $150+ rental car bill, and my car didn't pull any codes at all. What happened? Well, the tech found that my e350 was programed for a MANAUL transmission... A'LA SLK350!!!! So a quick flash of the memory and I was back on the road and happy by the end of the day. But the moral of the story is that there are no codes, but it's highly possible that it needs a fresh install of logic. If that's not the case, I'll gladly drive your car and MAKE SURE that it pulls some codes. Take Decker Cyn in sport mode, that will do it!

But honestly, traffic in LA is not the best way to break in a beast like yours. I have stopped my commute to the center of hell back in Feb. '06, and it shifts much quicker, accellerates smothly from 1st (s) or 2nd (c) and actually downshifts at the right times in turns... and that's hard for a 7-speed. The car is just happier on nice, wide-open roads. I even went to the AMG Challenge at California Speedway in May '06 and saw all the AMG groupies destroy cars all day. It was serious fun, and when I drove back home, I made some serious time (on the 210, 134, 101 nonetheless).

Take your car to Vegas and let 'er rip. Clean it out. That should 1: get you to relax a bit, 2: Break down and loosen up the car 3: get it to break down to the point that MBUSA pays for your "interrupted" trip.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:33 PM
Banned

F248 F1
hmm wow after reading this it confirms MBUSA bad service. I experiece a LITTE taste of it the other myself. I got a flat tyre, i called MBUSA because i couldnt get the last lug out. The customer service lady was VERY rude-VERY unprofessional. But i got someone to help me. A few days later, i had a minor problem. I called MB assistance, man they were even bigger F- saying they cant help me etc etc. I was shocked. He said they can't help me at all blah blah... i was like wtf.. i got someone to change my tyre for free the other day. And he wanted to charge me 185 US dollars just for comming out....wtf...sooo soo inconsisntant.

My example is just a minor one compare to yours, i feel your pain. I just wanted to share how inconsistant MBUSA can be.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Damn.... I was lucky that my problems were much more severe than yours... but even so, I went through hell to get the car bought back. Couldn't imagine if the problems were not severe enough... could've been stuck w/ the car now...

Anyway, as far as FJ in Fremont, CA, I went there for my C. I was assigned to Michael Burriesci, which I would assume become my permanent SA. He was curteous... I mentioned that my NAV froze and off-sync couple times, and that was fixed w/o any problems (if indeed it was fixed ). I was also given a loaner - even though it was only C230.

The only two things that I didn't like.... quite minor but quite annoying:

1. I told them not to wash the car (I know no dealer did a good wash). They washed it... my car ended up dirtier than it was before and I could tell that it has more swirl mark

2. They were closed at 5PM... I didn't receive any call that my car was done. At 4.50PM and 10 miles away, I called to check as I would hate to see my car stayed over the weekend.... they told me the car was done couple hours ago... Drove like crazy to reach there before they were closed...

We'll see my next service.... if things go sour, I'll go somewhere else.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I forwarded my first e-mail to Rob and asked that he please get involved. I agree however, that he may never see it. Corporate e-mail is very much as btlserv suggests. Once an e-mail like his is out for public consumption, he likely is bombarded with both junk, and things he'd really like to see and respond to,,,,,,,,,,,,if they ever get to him, and if he has the time. I hope you're correct in that Mr. Allan is sincere and So. Cal. is very important to MB and AMG. The car returns to S.S. on Tuesday. They have moved me up to the top of the list and will have a loaner available (ML I'm sure). I did tell the lady who called me to make the appointment about the other 2 "gremlins" I recently had, and I'll get this stuff written up, if only for documentation's sake. After all of this, I'd be happy if they could fix it or give me a different car. I love my E55, just not the problems. I know it's not all of the newer cars, most of you guys have no issues with yours. The wifey's SLK55 might have a little creak or groan to it, but other than a rare shutdown of COMAND after it gets hot, it has no other issues.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update:

Got the car back Thursday, and unfortunately did not get a copy of the paperwork since it wasn't ready when the car was. I was told a "battery voltage controller" was diagnosed as being bad and as has been replaced. I'm hoping to see the paperwork in the mail today or tomorrow. I just had Steve K. install my Bluetooth phone kit with V.C. the night before I dropped it off, and while programming it, he found SEVERAL CanBus (sp?) errors (A real class act, I highly recommend his work). I informed my S.A. of this when I dropped it off last Tuesday, and according to Dave, this bad controller can cause all sorts of havoc, including the mysterious self opening trunk. Of course, I never heard from Rob Allan.
I don't see how this would affect the transmission, but it has, in fact, improved! Twice now I've pulled the car out stone cold, and while it doesn't seem as quick to engage as the '02 E55 or the SLK, I'm not afraid of getting run over while sitting in the street waiting on drive. I'm not sure about the acceleration "stumble". It was intermittant before, so the fingers are crossed. I spoke to Dave at length about the "clunking" suspension, and was told they have a LOT more trouble with the E320/350 and have replaced bushings, control arms, and entire rubber "subframe" mounts without success! He is correct in that there is never any noise during normal operation, just over speed bumps or similar road surfaces?? I guess I can live with that, and the resonator is on it's way out to cure the highway hum. I guess if we "help" the dealers figure out our problems, we get things done. Too bad Steve lives in the Netherlands.

Last edited by Fast55; 09-11-2006 at 09:50 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I guess it's time to give up on MB