Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

I guess it's time to give up on MB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Well,
The trunk has yet to open itself again, but the mysterious squeeky brake pedal has returned. I guess ANOTHER trip to Silver Star is in order. I give up on the clunking suspension, I guess that was a no cost option on my 97K car.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now I have an "Oil sensor malfunction, visit workshop" message! Appointment made, 2 week wait, so they can give me a loaner because the SA wasn't very confident that I could get it back the same day. It didn't sound as if this was all that uncommon, so has anyone else had this failure??? Did it really take leaving the car overnight??? If you did have this problem, did you continue to drive the car? It was suggested that I leave it parked until they could look it over. WTF MB???
Old 10-23-2006, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Forgot to mention the one benefit of the oil sensor failure if you guys get one. A free oil change! They have to drop the entire plastic shield under covering AND the oil pan to get the sensor out. Took 2 days in a ML500 loaner.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:10 PM

2008 m5
personally, if it were me, i would be raising hell at corporate mbz and at fj. letters all around, overnight mail, to the top brass, in the usa and germany. asap. ted jones should certainly know about this.

now, in defense of FJ--and i've been using them to take care of my amgs since 99--the one thing they have in their favor is they see so many and such a high level of car that they tend to really know certain details that smaller dealers don't. i've had service done at other smaller dealers in so cal and the service guys just don't know about these cars. kind of like having a diesel. my service advisor (tony irvani) IS actually the reason why i decided to go back to FJ. he even turned me on to a salesperson who wasn't at all sleazy.

p.s. the word i've heard is that the 7 speed transmissions are problematic. i'm only glad that my new old stock c55 is 'just' a 5 speed.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well,
Since you have brought this thread back from the dead:

Since the oil sensor failure, I've had the CD changer replaced as it would no longer pop out of the dash, only a consistent clunk, clunk, clunk, as it stuck half way out. The trunk hasn't opened itself since, brake squeek has not returned, clunky suspension cannot be fixed and will not be addressed unless it happens during "normal" driving (I guess they don't have speed bumps in Germany), but the transmission is no better than it was. It hasn't given me a shifter full of neutrals, but the cold delay is still there. The highway droning was fixed with the Evosport resonator delete kit. Just a little more sound, but the 72 mph drone is gone. I wasn't going to spend the money on it, but I'm glad I did. The stumble is definitely the SC engaging, although I can't imagine why it took a tuner (EVO) to diagnose that. FJ can go screw themselves. The SLK55 is up for sale and will not be traded for a ML63 or GL450/550. The most likely replacment for the E will be a used S class or 7 series BMW (with warranty of course). No more new MB's here.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
I think some serious changes were made in the 07 and later models of the E Class. You might want to test drive an E63 if your heart is set on an E-Amg car.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Almost a Member!

S6
Sorry for your problems. This is a good place to come in and vent, but I have to say: you shouldn't let one bad apple ruin the barrel. Fact is, almost every Euro make has crappy customer service, I've read the same stories for EVERY German brand. Personally, this is something I'm fully prepared to deal with, because most non German car companies(Euro makes for that matter) get it when it comes to giving you more than just a means from point A to pont B. I want something fun to drive, well built, and has a design character that will more than simply stand the test of time(try saying that for a Japanese/American car make- OK, we make a few good looking cars, but few).
Old 08-17-2007, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Agreed. However, the Lexus dealer practically wants to fall on his sword if you have a problem, which doesn't happen often. Again, I love my car, but if Lexus comes up with a bad a$$ GS(insert correct model designation ala GS550 et.al.) that makes 500+ HP, so long MB. Sooner or later, it's going to happen. I almost bought the M5 over the E except the SMG is a little clunky in bumper to bumper traffic, not that I'd have any better luck with BMW. If someone was able to combine Lexus build quality with, say, Ferrari soul and style, I think we would all be driving that car.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you think Lexus is any better, sorry to burst your bubble. They have issues too and Toyota Motor Corp is horrible with taking responsibility for defects in their cars as well. Its like pulling teeth.

I've owned two vehicles made by Toyota Motor Corp. Won't buy anymore.

Originally Posted by Fast55
Agreed. However, the Lexus dealer practically wants to fall on his sword if you have a problem, which doesn't happen often. Again, I love my car, but if Lexus comes up with a bad a$$ GS(insert correct model designation ala GS550 et.al.) that makes 500+ HP, so long MB. Sooner or later, it's going to happen. I almost bought the M5 over the E except the SMG is a little clunky in bumper to bumper traffic, not that I'd have any better luck with BMW. If someone was able to combine Lexus build quality with, say, Ferrari soul and style, I think we would all be driving that car.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:10 AM
Almost a Member!

S6
Originally Posted by Vik888
If you think Lexus is any better, sorry to burst your bubble. They have issues too and Toyota Motor Corp is horrible with taking responsibility for defects in their cars as well. Its like pulling teeth.

I've owned two vehicles made by Toyota Motor Corp. Won't buy anymore.
Ha! I was going to say I've heard complaints there too. Customer Service just sucks a whole some days, very few corporations are good at it these days, from computers to cars, the majority of it sucks.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Quite a difference between Toyota and Lexus. Owned lots of them, and so far, MB service hasn't even come close to either. Of course, it's been a few years, and I guess they've fallen off somewhat. Still, I don't see MB anywhere near the rating of Lexus. If they make a hot rod 4 door like a TRD version of the GS430, I might be interested. I am over taking the depreciation hit for others however. Next car is definitely CPO.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Agreed. Thats why I was clear to say Toyota Motor Corp since they own Lexus.

Been there, done that.

Again, you'll find the same of MB owners. Some have great experiences, others do not.

Oh well.

Originally Posted by Fast55
Quite a difference between Toyota and Lexus. Owned lots of them, and so far, MB service hasn't even come close to either. Of course, it's been a few years, and I guess they've fallen off somewhat. Still, I don't see MB anywhere near the rating of Lexus. If they make a hot rod 4 door like a TRD version of the GS430, I might be interested. I am over taking the depreciation hit for others however. Next car is definitely CPO.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:38 PM

2006 e-350 and 2006 ml350
it is still easy to get a lease bought back. call better buiseness (b.b.b.) you appear to have all your paperwork with timeline documented, tell them what is happening, they will drive the car, try to verify all stated concerns, call consumer affairs dept at mb, and if your case is proven, they make recomendation for repurchase and a recommendation on the monies to be reimbursed, i have never seen them go to trial on this, because the judge usually sides with b.b.b.
my brother got a 2006 gto(lease) bought back after 1 year and only loast 400 dollars, the rest was returned!
it can be done
Old 11-10-2007, 03:27 AM

CL203 & sprinter
Originally Posted by dclawyer
Fast55

Sorry for your troubles. What does FJ stand for?

Anyway the service advisor I deal with says that MB cars have way more problems than they should. He thinks they are over engineered.

All dealers aren't created equal. I would research local dealers and try another. I think the problem is that they are used to these complaints and there is only so much they can do. They didn't build the car.
Thought it was "F**king Jackass".

anywho.. i got much the same story down here in the land of OZ. its driving me nuts